Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quintin

Stickhandling at 4am

Ok, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum (see what staying up late can do to you kids??). Could someone move this to the General Hockey forum?

You know, I notice, when all of you who have "fast hands" make stickhandling videos, your hands are really far down on the shaft...

In reality, during a game, are you really hunched over with your hand halfway down the shaft to control the puck?

Not poking at all, just a question... I've noticed myself that the further I put my lead hand down on the shaft, the more control I have... but have also noticed that I'm never that far down on my shaft during a game... maybe I'm doing something wrong?

You know, I notice, when all of you who have "fast hands" make stickhandling videos, your hands are really far down on the shaft...

In reality, during a game, are you really hunched over with your hand halfway down the shaft to control the puck?

Not poking at all, just a question... I've noticed myself that the further I put my lead hand down on the shaft, the more control I have... but have also noticed that I'm never that far down on my shaft during a game... maybe I'm doing something wrong?

No most people have their hands up higher on a shaft when skating with the puck because it's easier to keep your head up.

It's a golf ball wrapped around in 2 layers of tape haha. Couldn't be bothered finding my stickhandling ball.

Actually, I do have a fly puck but it wouldn't really slide well on carpet :P

No offense to anyone but fast stickhandling with a ball is not the same as fast stickhandling with a puck.

The difficulty level is really not even close.

Not a shot at you I know you were up late and probably bored, just didn't want to start a new thread for this.

I had the same problem, no where in the house that had a surface I could use or mess up.

But I was lucky enough to get some free sport court samples, about 2x3 feet. Not much but I can use a roller puck and with some lubrication an ice puck.

Not saying using a ball won't help though. I think it would be beneficial to stickhandle all types, golf ball/wiffle ball/smarthockey ball/street hockey ball/tennis ball/marbles. Not kidding.

I believe this way you acclimate yourself to the act of controlling something with a hockey stick, not just memorizing the feel of one certain thing.

But unfortunately there is no substitute for time with a real puck :(

You got a good point Neo, and if you stickhandle too much with a ball, when you are going to go back to a puck, it will be horrible, because you are too much used to the feel of the ball.

Loxish, I don't think I have my lower hand low on the shaft, actually it is more close to the upper hand than most people I know.

Kovy: sounds like you hold your hands the same way as me.

I know a guy from a German team that can dangle lights out, and he holds his hands very high on his sticks.

Quintin, it looks as if you are holding your bottom hand tight and sort of "chopping wood." I wouldn't know if that is right or wrong, it is just contrary to my form.

Concerning the hand positioning, I think it depends on the each situation. I try to skate in a crouched motion, and when I stick handle at speed I tend to keep my hands farther apart. In a situation where I am idle or gliding ("walking in") my hands are usually closer together.

I don't really have a thing for fast stickhandling, to be honest. I guess it's just not my style. I don't really see a need to dribble at the speed of light . My opinion is probably swayed by my ability to stick handle fast. Since I can't stick handle very fast, I try to focus on toe/heel control and moving the puck with quick, concise wrist movements. Anyone else feel the same way/do similarly?

In my opinion of someone's looking at 'fast hands' just watch anytime Samsonov's wheeling through the middle his hands are as fast as anyone I've seen and he's still going full speed.

Quintin, it looks as if you are holding your bottom hand tight and sort of "chopping wood." I wouldn't know if that is right or wrong, it is just contrary to my form.

Concerning the hand positioning, I think it depends on the each situation. I try to skate in a crouched motion, and when I stick handle at speed I tend to keep my hands farther apart. In a situation where I am idle or gliding ("walking in") my hands are usually closer together.

I don't really have a thing for fast stickhandling, to be honest. I guess it's just not my style. I don't really see a need to dribble at the speed of light . My opinion is probably swayed by my ability to stick handle fast. Since I can't stick handle very fast, I try to focus on toe/heel control and moving the puck with quick, concise wrist movements. Anyone else feel the same way/do similarly?

I don't think anyone needs to have quick dribbling skills same way in basketball no one needs to be a fancy ballhandler to be effective.

If anything practicing and accomplishing this skill will enhance your overall puckhandling control.

I think someone who can skate super fast yet very smoothly and carrying the puck calmly while moving/pivoting in a controlled manner is much more graceful sight. Head up, knees/ ankles bent, shoulders square, butt way out, and elbows bent, guiding the puck.

I feel this way of puckhandling lets your skating dictate where you go. That's not to say "dribblers" can't move around nicely.

I kind of see it as scott niedermayer kind of puck carrying versus a samsonov kind of puckhandling. Smooth versus almost "frantic".

I don't think anyone needs to have quick dribbling skills same way in basketball no one needs to be a fancy ballhandler to be effective.

If anything practicing and accomplishing this skill will enhance your overall puckhandling control.

I think someone who can skate super fast yet very smoothly and carrying the puck calmly while moving/pivoting in a controlled manner is much more graceful sight. Head up, knees/ ankles bent, shoulders square, butt way out, and elbows bent, guiding the puck.

I feel this way of puckhandling lets your skating dictate where you go. That's not to say "dribblers" can't move around nicely.

I kind of see it as scott niedermayer kind of puck carrying versus a samsonov kind of puckhandling. Smooth versus almost "frantic".

I like a mix of both, it's why I like Kovalev and Fedorov, they can control the puck with such speed and grace but the can also the deke the hell of a player like there is nothing. Niedermayer is good to rush the puck but when he need to do a quick dangle, he's not in the same category.

I like a mix of both as well. I think it is important to have some quick moves and smooth moves as well. Kovalev is a great example of how I would like to be able to stick handle.

Just out of curiosity, do you guy's anchor your bottom hand to your stick or do you utilize your bottom hand as a guide? I'm unsure if it is correct, but I use my lower hand as a guide. When I try to stickhandle with my bottom hand anchored I lose control of heel toe movements.

I like a mix of both, it's why I like Kovalev and Fedorov, they can control the puck with such speed and grace but the can also the deke the hell of a player like there is nothing. Niedermayer is good to rush the puck but when he need to do a quick dangle, he's not in the same category.

Niedermayer is a defenceman though, so you can't compare their hands. Peter Forsberg is very good with the puck at full speed, and so is Jason Spezza, that's who comes to my mind. These are non-Russians. lol It's unfair to compare Russian stickhandling to the rest of the world. We could go on forever with Russian danglers... Datsyuk, Kovalev, Fedorov, Ovechkin, Malkin, Mogilny, Bure, Kovalchuk etc. It's rediculous if you think about it....

This is compared to someone like Ryan Smyth, he's good and gets the job done, but has garbage hands. :)