Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sonsplayhockey

glue for helmet foam

What kind of foam are you gluing, and are you gluing it to the plastic shell? (EPP foam or Vinyl Nitrile)

Helmet padding foam came off on me. Where do I get the glue to glue it back in? What brand and type of glue?

I tried some super goo glue but I think I need something thicker that is more like puddy.

how old is the helmet??? Most important question!

I thought you weren't supposed to mess with adhesives on helmets since they supposedly may weaken the shell? I've heard that if the padding falls out, it's time for a new helmet.

I thought you weren't supposed to mess with adhesives on helmets since they supposedly may weaken the shell? I've heard that if the padding falls out, it's time for a new helmet.

That is correct.

I had a pad fall out on a brand new helmet. THe glue pattern was too mass produced with no quality control. It happens to helmets nowhere near their end of life. I used stick glue the first time, but a glue gun works better.

Use a glue gun with normal heat glue. I had the guys at E-puck recommend the same thing to me. Don't huse a heat gun with stick glue because that gets really hot and you can deform the foam or the shell. Don't use a super glue type thing as that can eat the foam.

I don't recommend glue stick cause it seems to get brittle when it's cold...and it seems to lose grip when it gets cold and your padding falls back out. That's what happened to me, no probs with Gorilla Glue--just you gotta clamp it in place when gluing which is the pain.

Didn't want to start a new topic.

Anyone have a recommendation for what type of glue to use for gluing the gel pads to the inside of the foam part of the helmet?

The glue from the gel pads on my old Bauer 8500 has deteriorated making the gel pads slide around too much. When I wear the helmet the pads slide and the glue residue gets all over me.

I had a pad fall out on a brand new helmet. THe glue pattern was too mass produced with no quality control. It happens to helmets nowhere near their end of life. I used stick glue the first time, but a glue gun works better.

+1 for a glue gun

I used to be an equipment manager for teams in the WCHL and WPHL (both leagues now defunct) and would always use 3m Super 77 spray adhesive. I'd use 2 or 3 inch spring clamps to hold foam while the adhesive cures.

I ended up using some spray adhesive that we had lying around at work and it seems that it worked "ok".

Took me about 2 hours total. It was a huge pain and I used a lot of Goof Off to get all of the adhesive off of the gel pads and EPP.

After all that and I just ended up buying a new bucket. Figured it was worth it and safer to go with something that wasn't expired.