Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeymom

One90 Transition and Skate Profiling

OldTrainerGuy, if you dont mind my asking where abouts in toronto are you based out of? Im looking at buying new skates and was thinking that perhaps your expertise might help me as well as making extra suggestions for modifications if neccesary.

If the kid is on a team at the rink, we schedule an appointment.  If not, we schedule an open skate and get a free pass from the front desk.

Alright, you got me interested. Is this something you can do at your shop now?

Also, my 9" radius, 9/16" hollow was recommended by someone out of state :)

Not yet.

im just tryin to point out whats wrong, maybe its not so much the skate.

The skate was never the question - she has been having problems before she had the ONE90s. If you match the skater's posture and habits to the right hollow and radius, you can improve right on the bat, then that will give the skater more confidence to improve. Nobody ever said that it is a cure-all - but it goes a long way, when done correctly.

9' but it's always recommended to radius to clean up the blades.  You can see that NBH lean was biting her in the first video...which is why I did the heel lifts on mine immediately.

JR if you wanted we could start a trend here 5 bucks for what the guys should get there skates profiled at with a video showing them skating.....we could go to the hockey show for free now......LOL

No...it would pay our drink tab at the show! You don't have to go far this year, neither do I :)

im just tryin to point out whats wrong, maybe its not so much the skate.

yglod11 - You forgot to mention her knees are too close together and she skates too hunched over. And she pushes her leg back in the crossover instead of out - and keeps her knees too paralell instead of the outside knee higher.

Skating is a big issue, she never learned properly from the get-go, and she's working on it. She's a bit embarrassed by this video and wants me to post another one in a month to show how much she's improved! LOL

I do believe that part of it is the skate, it is your point of contact with the ice. She is having way less trouble finding her edges with these skates; even before the profiling she was excited about it. The difference after the profiling has been night and day. She did not improve her technique over night - yet even in this crappy video, you can see a huge difference between the 1st and 2nd skate.

JR spent a lot of time with us figuring out her issues and he got her to move to a 1/2" hollow and connected us with OTG. As I said before, between the skate and especially the profiling, I believe she now has the "platform" to really improve her skating.

must...go...shallower...

HA! I think we can move her that way - considering how far she's come from when she wanted to call you out to "argue" math over the move to the 1/2", she's now a believer.

OldTrainerGuy, if you dont mind my asking where abouts in toronto are you based out of? Im looking at buying new skates and was thinking that perhaps your expertise might help me as well as making extra suggestions for modifications if neccesary.

I go from Store to Store to work at all the Pro Shops in the Company doing the training. However I can usually be found in the winter atleast one day on the weekend in the Scarborough store.

must...go...shallower...

JR I think your right but after seeing the video an knowing her size leg lenght and skating style i wouldnt go past a 5/8ths. I will do it next time at 9/16th and not tell her......LOL

As for the fit of the skate...well lets see seeing as most women have a naroow heel and wide fore front and that is the shape of the one90 and hummmmm i having been doing this for about 20 years and spent about 8 hours fitting Diane I would have to say I made the right choice!!!!!

if you go to www.hockeyextreme.com and look at my profile there you can see some of the others I have assissted over the years!

must...go...shallower...

JR I think your right but after seeing the video an knowing her size leg lenght and skating style i wouldnt go past a 5/8ths. I will do it next time at 9/16th and not tell her......LOL

That's what JR said to do - move her from a 3/8" to a 7/16" and didn't tell her... she came off the ice and said her skates felt "weird" and NOT to go back to that sharpener...LOL

That's when I had to confess JR's recommendation

must...go...shallower...

That's what JR said to do - move her from a 3/8" to a 7/16" and didn't tell her... she came off the ice and said her skates felt "weird" and NOT to go back to that sharpener...LOL

That's when I had to confess JR's recommendation

Man you're a good mon, can you adopt me, I make my own bed, I smell good and I do dishes... :rolleyes:

OTG,

Are you serious about being able to evaluate proper radius and hollow from a video? We have no real service in our area as far as skate expertise is concerned. The reason I ask is that my daughter recently got a new pair of skates that have a lot larger radius (out of the box) on them than her old pair. I notice now that in her power skating lessons that she looks a lot less stable and has difficulty making transitions. I would be willing to pay to have her evaluated for a proper radius, and hollow. Or maybe you could make a recommendation for evaluation up in the Vancouver BC area (150 mile trip for us). I would probably have to make that trip anyway in order to have them properly radiused.

OTG,

Are you serious about being able to evaluate proper radius and hollow from a video? We have no real service in our area as far as skate expertise is concerned. The reason I ask is that my daughter recently got a new pair of skates that have a lot larger radius (out of the box) on them than her old pair. I notice now that in her power skating lessons that she looks a lot less stable and has difficulty making transitions. I would be willing to pay to have her evaluated for a proper radius, and hollow. Or maybe you could make a recommendation for evaluation up in the Vancouver BC area (150 mile trip for us). I would probably have to make that trip anyway in order to have them properly radiused.

Well seeing as I do it all the time for the OHL guys and the local Jr team I am working with along with the NWHL girls team i work with ....ummmm yup I am thinking seeing as I did with Diane and you can see the diffrence on the video.

Now that being said I would also to have seen her feet and fit her in the skate I would think work the best. If she is wearing a skate that I dont think would make her skate well then changing the profile wont make much diffrence.

That being said I am looking for a 735 with T-Blade in a size 8 regular. If anyone knows where there is a new pair I will get my customer to purchase them from you to have them shipped to me.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Hehee, guess my question was rather ambiguous.  :D
think about this video the next time you walk into that standalone shop where they get you to write your position and weight and have you walk in bare feet and give you a "custom" radius based on that.

This is what I meant when I said "walk in the store." What do those (edit) guys look for when watching a guy walk, before you decide on the profile? I walked alright, but not barefoot.

Yes...it was.

There are a few stores in this area who do this and they put the fancy sticker or hand-write what they have given you. The funny thing is that the guy who does the sticker in this area; all of his stickers are pre-printed 9/16" ROH 9' radius, and the guy who writes it on the holder gives everyone the exact same thing. So essentially, they are giving EVERYONE the same thing, every time, from a mite to an adult.

Hmm...when I got mine done there was no writing and no stickers. They "kept it on file." But I don't think they give everyone the same, since a few people I skate with have done it and they all got different things. They put on on 11.5' radius (I think it feels too long), 1/2" hollow.

Anyway, just called around a few pro shops and nobody does the in-rink evaluation. Only one or two places do the "walk in a straight line" contouring.

Could Diane teach me the puck between the legs move? This will be literally "teaching an old dog new tricks!"

HA! DS50, don't be too impressed with that move - it's one of the clips that embarrassed her... afterall, that is SUPPOSED to be a high speed, quick drill... and she's just loafing along fooling around.

Actually tho', the drill has made her quick to find the puck in her feet and also helped with stealing it from other players.

Hehee, guess my question was rather ambiguous.  :D
think about this video the next time you walk into that standalone shop where they get you to write your position and weight and have you walk in bare feet and give you a "custom" radius based on that.

This is what I meant when I said "walk in the store." What do those (edit) guys look for when watching a guy walk, before you decide on the profile? I walked alright, but not barefoot.

You cant see from some one walking on a floor what profile they need you have to see them skate. That is why I needed hockeymom to do the video and with just one minute of video the 2nd video was the result. Nw not saying eveyone can do this I have been doing it at the Pro level for a number of years now but there are some guys on here that can.

The best thing to do is try a couple diffrent guys out see how they feel and go from there. you will eventually find one.

You know, Jeff & JR... I've been thinking about this (always dangerous) and I think there actually might be a sideline in this. Nothing that you could retire on - after all, the majority of people aren't aware of what hollow they skate on, let alone what an EXPERT, correct profile can do.

For years I have had people ask me if there is something to this skate profile stuff... and I've always answered "I don't know, it depends on how they do it". As you guys know, I firmly believe that it can't be done through a questionaire or by watching how someone walks.

The problem is there just aren't many people out there who have the knowledge of skates, skating and feet... to be able to put together the whole picture. Although a player might be able to find a local place that has the equipment to do the work - most of those LHS people wouldn't have the synthesis of knowledge to be ABLE to do what you guys can do. (Look at how hard it is to get a good sharpening). So, it strikes me the "thinking" person out there, who wouldn't be able to "give up" their skates to ship them to be done - just might be VERY happy to pay to have someone analyze their skating and give a recommendation/template for their local shop.

And remember, it is not the time it takes to look at the video that they'd pay for, it is the years of experience and synthesis of knowledge that has you be able to figure it out that is invaluable.

OTG - There were three things that really stood out for me in this process: one was Diane whimpering out loud when she saw/heard you drill for the heel lifts (I am evil LOL); the other was during the fitting process when you had her take off her sock so you could see the shape of her feet (stop with the foot fetish jokes, JR); and the big one was watching you watch the video of her skating. I was fascinated listening to you notice and decide what needed to be done to increase her mobility. THAT you simply can't get from a questionaire, nor can you get it from someone who doesn't understand the whole dynamic.

The biggest problem I see is all the hacks that would claim to have the skills to accurately read the demonstrations.

The biggest problem I see is all the hacks that would claim to have the skills to accurately read the demonstrations.

I agree i think you could A use Max Egde dealers as a basic place to start as well as have interviews with people wanting to do business with people from the board....