Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New rules

So our team played our first game with the new OHL/NHL rules... and it was f*cking ridiculous how many penalties we played with all game. In total he called 94 minutes, in 31 calls for our team.. thats a joke.. you cant even touch someone with your stick anymore i mean like a little touch by accident and ur gone.. and then you say something like holly shitty ass call and then you get another 10 minute miscounduct, then your coach yells and he gets a bench minor... this is horrible i dont know if anyone else on here plays with these rules or any stupid rules but they are ruinning hockey its not hockey anymore its pentalty mania.. they said they were gonna clamp down but i mean do it gradually.. their hammering down so hard its running the game.

Stop hooking and holding and you won't go to the box. Every coach has seen the new video at their certification clinic. If your coach hasn't learned to teach the game the new way, blame him.

I can't wait for my first midget game, we're in tryouts now so all the new rules dont apply, but when they do, its going to be a gongshow.

Bad idea to pick your players based on one set of rules and then expect to field the best team under a new set of rules.

Stop hooking and holding and you won't go to the box. Every coach has seen the new video at their certification clinic. If your coach hasn't learned to teach the game the new way, blame him.

The problem is its not the hooking & holding they call now, its the touching the guy with your stick that they call. That aint hooking or anything else under the rules.

and then you say something like holly shitty ass call and then you get another 10 minute miscounduct

Thats nothing new, I'm suprised your just figuring that out.

But I am looking forward to my first Midget Major games this weekend. We've got two of them. We have been practicing all summer, and for like two weeks as a team alone. But our coach emphasized the new rules every single practice, so we cant do any of it in scrimage or back checking drills.

We also skate alot harder this year then any other year. Could be because of the new rules and how much he wants us to backcheck.

Speaking of Midget Majors, we'll be in the Chicago Tourny in twe weekends.

Yah, I always wonder why in all my tryouts they hardly call anything. The more skilled players can't really shine through and the goons always look better because they grapple on to someone and can keep up better.

Yeah i just had my first Midget Minor AA game and the rules didnt seem too bad...we've been practicing using the body and not the stick alot more in practice and backchecking like crazy so we were pretty good...

The problem is its not the hooking & holding they call now, its the touching the guy with your stick that they call. That aint hooking or anything else under the rules.

Sure it is. The problem is too many refs refused to call actual penalties so they had to make it black and white. Grab the guy or put your stick on them and it's a penalty. I posted the video that the refs and coaches watched a couple weeks ago and it shows everything.

if you havent played a game with these rules, then you have no idea what its like, its so easy to say just stop hooking or stop slashing but until you play with these stupid ass rules then you dont kno

ive already played a couple games with 50+ total pens.,its rediculus, the whole game is special teams

Sure it is. The problem is too many refs refused to call actual penalties so they had to make it black and white. Grab the guy or put your stick on them and it's a penalty. I posted the video that the refs and coaches watched a couple weeks ago and it shows everything.

Thats where you are wrong. Hooking, holding or interference is just that. Touching a guy with your stick is nothing. It is noyt a penalty. Calling it is just as bogus if not more so as not calling actual hooking, holding or interference.

Thats where you are wrong. Hooking, holding or interference is just that. Touching a guy with your stick is nothing. It is noyt a penalty. Calling it is just as bogus if not more so as not calling actual hooking, holding or interference.

Evidently you're wrong, because that's the way it's going to be called. Complain all you want but it's not going to help.

yeah, the new rules are gonna screw everyone over. its gonna suck...

From what I hear coaches aren't complaining. It's mostly the meatheads who would rather prove how tough they are than put the puck in the net.

I disagree with saying the coaches arent complaining. For both mine and my brothers teams there have been rediculous amounts of penalties for the first four games (for each of our teams) and the coaches have been fuming. I'm not sure how lenient you guys down in the states are with the new rules but up here the refs have absolutley zero tolerance, infact. In the past two games I have got penalties for a) Lifting up the opponents stick infront of the net as the pass was about 1.5-2 feet away from the stick, and B ) hitting the lower shaft (connection point) while on the penaltie kill (this was to try and hit the puck, which I grazed). Personally, as a player I feel these could be changed. But, you live you learn and I hope I get more used to these rules or it's going to be a loooong season.

I disagree with saying the coaches arent complaining. For both mine and my brothers teams there have been rediculous amounts of penalties for the first four games (for each of our teams) and the coaches have been fuming. I'm not sure how lenient you guys down in the states are with the new rules but up here the refs have absolutley zero tolerance, infact. In the past two games I have got penalties for a) Lifting up the opponents stick infront of the net as the pass was about 1.5-2 feet away from the stick, and B ) hitting the lower shaft (connection point) while on the penaltie kill (this was to try and hit the puck, which I grazed). Personally, as a player I feel these could be changed. But, you live you learn and I hope I get more used to these rules or it's going to be a loooong season.

There is supposed to be zero tolerance of infractions. For USAH there are no new rules, just no gray area anymore. Lifting the stick of a player not in posession of the puck is a penalty, as is slashing the stick of an opponent. Bear in mind it is going to take the refs some time to get comfortable calling the new standard. You may disagree with particular calls, but if changes were made to fit every players preference, nothing would be a penalty again and talented players would still be mauled all over the ice. HC and USAH no longer think that is acceptable and I happen to agree.

Evidently you're wrong, because that's the way it's going to be called. Complain all you want but it's not going to help.

yeah, the new rules are gonna screw everyone over. its gonna suck...

From what I hear coaches aren't complaining. It's mostly the meatheads who would rather prove how tough they are than put the puck in the net.

Well, I dunno how you can justify calling penalties for things that are not penalties according to the rule book.

If they wanna do that, then they should change the rule book cause how they plan on calling it now is not in the rule book.

And btw, you say "Stop hooking and holding and you won't go to the box". Thats not at all true as the calls are waaaay broader than that.

Everything refs are to call is in the book and has been for years. It all comes down to one thing, "are you making a play on the puck?" Refs have been told that if they do not call the new standard, as instructed, they will not be assigned more games.

Here's what all US refs and coaches are required to watch, adjust your game accordingly.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/index.php?showtopic=24362

There is supposed to be zero tolerance of infractions. For USAH there are no new rules, just no gray area anymore. Lifting the stick of a player not in posession of the puck is a penalty, as is slashing the stick of an opponent. Bear in mind it is going to take the refs some time to get comfortable calling the new standard. You may disagree with particular calls, but if changes were made to fit every players preference, nothing would be a penalty again and talented players would still be mauled all over the ice. HC and USAH no longer think that is acceptable and I happen to agree.

Ahhh, I hear what your saying. And being more of a speed game player myself I appreciate that they would like to open the game up more. I just feel that the, not rule changes but "grey zone elimination" as you say could have been slightly more lenient instead of making everything "red". But this is just one players opinion.

I dont like the new rules, but Chadd is right.

To many times has an offensive player beaten the defender. All the D ever had to do was turn and hack the gloves, ankles and hook the side.

Now it will be a more skilled game where it challenges the D to step up more and stand them up at the blue line.

Its only best for the game. You all want fancy moves, big hits? Now you should get them instead of this hooking and slashing crap.

We played our first junior game tonight, and they called the new standard. Of course its going to take a few games to adapt, and its not "fuckin bullshit" hitz14. If you just take away the stick you use to haul somebody down you'll be perfectly fine. Also to set things straight, they are not "NEW RULES". They have been in the rule book for years. These so called new rules aka 'hooking', 'interference', stuff like that, are just being more inforced now. They are not new. Its just a new standard of play. Put your stick away, or you might aswell sit on the bench. The new standard is meant for you speedy guys. Drafting won't be size now, guys with speed even if they're small will get a look before somebody 6'8''. Well i sure hope so since a guy 6'8'' usually cannot skate to save his/her life. Meaning they'd have to take a peantly to haul a guy down if they got past them, a guy with more speed, can just catch up.

I actually like this new standard of play, as i can use my speed to an advantage, which i did tonight and drew two penalties on one rush.

(Just to set things straight i'm not knocking on all you tall guys, that can't skate, because i know theres alot of them that can, just the majority can't.)

Ahhh, I hear what your saying. And being more of a speed game player myself I appreciate that they would like to open the game up more. I just feel that the, not rule changes but "grey zone elimination" as you say could have been slightly more lenient instead of making everything "red". But this is just one players opinion.

That's because too many refs abuse the gray area. How do you think we got to where we are today? Too many of my fellow refs used their "game management" skills to ignore penalties, to ask them to call "a little more" would result in no changes. In the game I did last week I caught myself say "nah, not enough of a hook.. oh shit" and put my hand up. It's going to be harder at the midget level where most of the players think they know more than god anyway.

We played our first junior game tonight, and they called the new standard. Of course its going to take a few games to adapt, and its not "fuckin bullshit" hitz14. If you just take away the stick you use to haul somebody down you'll be perfectly fine. Also to set things straight, they are not "NEW RULES". They have been in the rule book for years. These so called new rules aka 'hooking', 'interference', stuff like that, are just being more inforced now. They are not new. Its just a new standard of play. Put your stick away, or you might aswell sit on the bench. The new standard is meant for you speedy guys. Drafting won't be size now, guys with speed even if they're small will get a look before somebody 6'8''. Well i sure hope so since a guy 6'8'' usually cannot skate to save his/her life. Meaning they'd have to take a peantly to haul a guy down if they got past them, a guy with more speed, can just catch up.

I actually like this new standard of play, as i can use my speed to an advantage, which i did tonight and drew two penalties on one rush.

(Just to set things straight i'm not knocking on all you tall guys, that can't skate, because i know theres alot of them that can, just the majority can't.)

Miike is RIGHT.

All you people complaining maybe you should learn to skate and stop using your stick. treh stick on the body is interference. PERIOD. How hard is that to understand.

now as for the refs well you always had bad refs before and your still gonna have bad refs but everyone knows the new rules players coaches parents so its pretty hard to make mistakes and if you do well everyone knows it its not eh Ref's discression anymore.

I have been helping all kinds of teams over the summer and one of them is the Orangville Pronicial Jr A team that was in a tournament this weekend.

This is the problem I see happening.

After the 2nd and while they were flooding the ref came to talk to the guy that was overseeing there game to let the refs know how they were doing....well this Ref was a big guy and appeared to be in shape and his words were " *buddy*(cant remember the name of the guy) you cant have me doing 2 games i cant keep up to these guys. Did you see that goal I missed"

I can see some of the older Refs having a heart attack if there not in shape trying to

I watched some Atom AAA kids and they seemed to adapt very well and they had only 6 penalties all game and it was like 6-4 and great hits as well.

So if Atom kids can do it stop winning and just play by the rules or take up figure skating.

Miike is RIGHT.

All you people complaining maybe you should learn to skate and stop using your stick. treh stick on the body is interference. PERIOD. How hard is that to understand.

now as for the refs well you always had bad refs before and your still gonna have bad refs but everyone knows the new rules players coaches parents so its pretty hard to make mistakes and if you do well everyone knows it its not eh Ref's discression anymore.

I have been helping all kinds of teams over the summer and one of them is the Orangville Pronicial Jr A team that was in a tournament this weekend.

This is the problem I see happening.

After the 2nd and while they were flooding the ref came to talk to the guy that was overseeing there game to let the refs know how they were doing....well this Ref was a big guy and appeared to be in shape and his words were " *buddy*(cant remember the name of the guy) you cant have me doing 2 games i cant keep up to these guys. Did you see that goal I missed"

I can see some of the older Refs having a heart attack if there not in shape trying to

I watched some Atom AAA kids and they seemed to adapt very well and they had only 6 penalties all game and it was like 6-4 and great hits as well.

So if Atom kids can do it stop winning and just play by the rules or take up figure skating.

I've often said that I would like to see a 3 referee system insteam of 1r/2l or 2/2 system.

Although that would be interesting I stil thenk the 2/2 system with these new rules works best. IMO. but I really see a hard time coming for any refs not in shape.

I do see a huge opening for bigger guys that maybe arent the best players but can skate going from playing to reffing....