Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New rules

who felt there was a need for a change in the rules of a game that was fine for the past 50 years?

The people that realized the NHL was a boring game to watch, and since they changed you have to breed players that can compete like that. The game has changed tremendously in the past 50 years, so your statement is without merit. I watched the video, there's nothing new there, it's just being enforced.

who felt there was a need for a change in the rules of a game that was fine for the past 50 years?

The people that realized the NHL was a boring game to watch, and since they changed you have to breed players that can compete like that. The game has changed tremendously in the past 50 years, so your statement is without merit. I watched the video, there's nothing new there, it's just being enforced.

I agree, the rules have never been enforced like they are now. Before our game last night the refs told everyone what will and will not be called. The enforcement only affected a few players, and those were the guys who are notoriously lazy and/or cheap players. The rules didn't affect me at all in a negative way. In fact I kind of like them because I love to play in front of the crease and last night was one of the first times in a while that I didn't get corkscrewed, hacked, slashed, cross checked or feel like I was just gang raped. The D-men now have to out skate me to the net or out position me.

People that do not play hockey will think our sport is boring. The only way you can get them interested is if there is a big hit or fights.

I think with the new rules, there will be even less of these.

I just played my first game the other night. It was midget AAA but I swear it looked like pee wee. The ref was calling more than he should have so that we would be used to the new rules. It was very hard to stop myself from a little cross check, hook, etc. The one good thing is that I am a player that can benifit from the rule changes. Hopefully I can get more goals than ever.

People that do not play hockey will think our sport is boring. The only way you can get them interested is if there is a big hit or fights.

Anyone who is only interested in cheap shots and fights are fans I can live without. There were VERY few clean, big hits in the past few years.

the only problem i have with the new rules are the refs around me arent call the game consistently.. they call some of the new rules, but not everything..

they call anything.. they were told to call everything.. like ur intentions are to skate with ur stick above you waist and you dont even touch anyone anything but you get called for highsticking.. my word the other teams coach got thrown out when he was disputing the call with the ref.. even thow youll never win.. our team seen the video last night at practice and wtf.. some shit they say is OK we get called for it like lifting the stick thats not even looked at it hooking and shit so its frustrating i just hope it changes or it doesnt get any worst.

The thing that I don't like, is that the refs are allowing guys to stand in the crease and no one can touch him. We gave up two goals and 4 penalties on that yesterday.

Thats why you need to stand in front of the guy standing in front of the goalie. That way you can block the shot... or you can shoulder him as the puck is shot and he is about to touch it.

I was talking to Gary Betman today at a Golf Course north of Toronto and he said he has heard all the younger guys are having issues but dont forget that the NHL only had 600 players and many less officials to deal with hence it was easier for the NHL to do the change over faster.

His other comment was that if the players and ref's at he AAA level try hard it will work as in the NHL but will take longer.

Actually he was pretty nice not sure why he and Mr.Daly were there but very nice guy in person.

the only problem i have with the new rules are the refs around me arent call the game consistently..

Chances are they weren't consistant before the new rules, but give the guys some time to get comfortable. It's not like refs spent all summer practicing under the new standards.

The thing that I don't like, is that the refs are allowing guys to stand in the crease and no one can touch him. We gave up two goals and 4 penalties on that yesterday.

I think HC needs to consider the USAH rule of it being an immediate whistle and faceoff outside the zone if an opposing guy is in the crease.

Obvioulsy we cant cross check him, especially now. But are we allowed to throw him out with our hands? Just like pushing?

Or are they getting stricter on that too?

I played in a Junior tourney this weekend (Woodchuck Classic) and there were a TON of penelties. I personally had no problems with hooking and holding. I had one penelty and it was for Cross Checking. But, alot of kids were pissed about the calls. Its gonan take some getting used to, but i think its defiently gonna make the game better.

Thats why you need to stand in front of the guy standing in front of the goalie. That way you can block the shot... or you can shoulder him as the puck is shot and he is about to touch it.

I was talking to Gary Betman today at a Golf Course north of Toronto and he said he has heard all the younger guys are having issues but dont forget that the NHL only had 600 players and many less officials to deal with hence it was easier for the NHL to do the change over faster.

His other comment was that if the players and ref's at he AAA level try hard it will work as in the NHL but will take longer.

Actually he was pretty nice not sure why he and Mr.Daly were there but very nice guy in person.

then when you shoulder the guy off the puck you get called for interference, its happened to me

Yeah, all that speed is going to bore them to sleep. Let's slow it back down to the snail's pace it was before. If you can skate, you can make the big hits. Guys who couldn't skate before couldn't hit anyway.

Rules are just fine,

those who could not skate before were just hooking and then hit, now they have to hit right away without being able to hook your guy before, much tougher. Skills players likes it much better this way. Hope it will stay like this forever.

I think HC needs to consider the USAH rule of it being an immediate whistle and faceoff outside the zone if an opposing guy is in the crease.

There goes goalie interference if the guy is in the crease when he does not have the puck or not looking for it.. much easier like this.

I just saw that USAH is not relaxing the 15 penalty rule for coaches and the 5 penalties for players sitting the next game. This will sure make them start coaching to the new standards for enforcement. It will also start ensuring that the players learn the new rules. Otherwise, they will only be seeing about half of the games this year.

I just saw that USAH is not relaxing the 15 penalty rule for coaches and the 5 penalties for players sitting the next game. This will sure make them start coaching to the new standards for enforcement. It will also start ensuring that the players learn the new rules. Otherwise, they will only be seeing about half of the games this year.

There was talk about reducing the numbers to 12 and 4 before the new standards were enacted.

We had 30 penalties last night and the other team we played had around the same amount. Last night's game was RIDICULOUS, I couldn't believe it. Most inconsistant ref i've skated with. I had 3 penalties for the dumbest things.

Last one was unbelievable. Okay it was a 2-2 i'm on D in the middle. guy with puck takes it wide, and the second guy drives the net on me. Puck comes across the middle...I lift his stick so he couldnt put the one timer in, and somehow i get called for an interference. What am I supposed to do let him score??? I didnt make any body contact with my stick at all, I just lifted his stick. If I am not mistaken you can lift someones stick if it is for the purpose of going for the puck. Apparently not.

We had 30 penalties last night and the other team we played had around the same amount. Last night's game was RIDICULOUS, I couldn't believe it. Most inconsistant ref i've skated with. I had 3 penalties for the dumbest things.

Last one was unbelievable. Okay it was a 2-2 i'm on D in the middle. guy with puck takes it wide, and the second guy drives the net on me. Puck comes across the middle...I lift his stick so he couldnt put the one timer in, and somehow i get called for an interference. What am I supposed to do let him score??? I didnt make any body contact with my stick at all, I just lifted his stick. If I am not mistaken you can lift someones stick if it is for the purpose of going for the puck. Apparently not.

Your coach is sitting next game.

Ours is too, not to happy.

15 penalties a game and coach sits.

I lift his stick so he couldnt put the one timer in, and somehow i get called for an interference. What am I supposed to do let him score??? I didnt make any body contact with my stick at all, I just lifted his stick. If I am not mistaken you can lift someones stick if it is for the purpose of going for the puck. Apparently not.

It's interference now. Personally, I had no problems with the way the game was called before all this, but it's something that we're all going to have to adjust to.

I see no problem with lifting a guy's stick to keep him from playing a pass (lifting his stick, mind you, NOT hooking him), but I guess we're now supposed to try to get in there and try to intercept the pass. Good luck with that - and try not to get yourself killed by the late-guy when you step-up.

I lift his stick so he couldnt put the one timer in, and somehow i get called for an interference. What am I supposed to do let him score??? I didnt make any body contact with my stick at all, I just lifted his stick. If I am not mistaken you can lift someones stick if it is for the purpose of going for the puck. Apparently not.

It's interference now. Personally, I had no problems with the way the game was called before all this, but it's something that we're all going to have to adjust to.

I see no problem with lifting a guy's stick to keep him from playing a pass (lifting his stick, mind you, NOT hooking him), but I guess we're now supposed to try to get in there and try to intercept the pass. Good luck with that - and try not to get yourself killed by the late-guy when you step-up.

You can lift the stick if the puck is at the player, a foot or two at most, and coming to him. You can;t hold it up in the air though, it has to be a quick lift and go.

As others have mentioned, the refs have to adjust to this new level of rule enforcement too and I noticed a big difference in my daughter's 2 exhibition games this weekend.

The first game had younger, less confident refs who called things like lifting the stick even when it was a "lift and go". A total of 19 penalties between the 2 teams.

The second game had more seasoned refs who didn't make these errors; a total of 9 penalties between the two teams.

Today was my first game under the new rules, and honestly, none of the calls really surprised me. There were around 20 penalties between the two teams, but, maybe just all the posts here about how bad the games were going to be called made me lower my expectations. I didn't get called on any, and I'm a D-Man, so that's a definete positive.