Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New rules

Here's another situation we're discussing at our house; would appreciate some advice...

At the face-off, to direct the puck to your off-side, you end up having to swing your butt in the way of the other centre. Is this still ok, or is it now considered interference?

In my majors game, the ref warned us about it. He said we cannot swing into the guy to kick the puck out with our skates or stick. But there were not penalites called on that.

At my tourny though, it was wierd because there was a few scuffles and no penalties. I woulda expected a bunch of penalties with these new rules when punches are thrown.

Here's another situation we're discussing at our house; would appreciate some advice...

At the face-off, to direct the puck to your off-side, you end up having to swing your butt in the way of the other centre. Is this still ok, or is it now considered interference?

Using body position is OK if you are fighting for a puck. However, how do you tie up the other person long enough to pull off the move without getting a penalty? It may be possible but could be a penalty in most cases.

I would work on different ways to win faceoffs with your hands and quickness.

At the face-off, to direct the puck to your off-side, you end up having to swing your butt in the way of the other centre.  Is this still ok, or is it now considered interference?

puck drops..... lift opposing players stick and mohawk, kick puck or wait for another player take puck.....speed and skill, no penalty.

i am hating these new rules.. you can't even lift a guys stick.. it's a joke

yes you can, assuming the puck is there. In fact both USAH and HC go out of their way to show you exactly what is ok and what is not.

I dont understand why they would change the rules when the sport has been one way since it was invented.

People never complained about the rules, everybody viewed the huge hits, and stick battles as just hockey.

Now all I hear is people saying "This isnt even hockey" as they skate to the box.

This is all ages, squirts to midgets.

It has gotten to the point that lots of players do not even want to play anymore.

Tell me to take up another sport but it wouldnt have to be like that if they hadnt changed anything.

If they were even gona change the rules at all, at least start at age squirts so the players that grew up playing one way could continue playing the game they love. Then the squirts would grow up loving a game they love.

I dont think it was very smart just changing the rules for everybody and expect people to still love the game like they used to.

Chadd, you seem to have the answer to every question in this thread. Can you honestly tell me you like these new rules, and that they are going to better the sport? You cant tell me its going to better the sport because the true talent comes out, because by the way it looks, to many players just want to quit with these new rules.

It's evolution. I'm sure back in the day Peking man was happy to be grunting and hairy, living in his own filth but I'm sure as hell happy that things have changed on that end too.

It's evolution. I'm sure back in the day Peking man was happy to be grunting and hairy, living in his own filth but I'm sure as hell happy that things have changed on that end too.

LOL good point.

But in this case, alot of people are just so pissed that they dont want to be on the ice anymore. When the team is always playing 4-3 or 4-4.

Cant tell me that your cavemen were upset that they were evolving...

At the face-off, to direct the puck to your off-side, you end up having to swing your butt in the way of the other centre.  Is this still ok, or is it now considered interference?

Using body position is OK if you are fighting for a puck. However, how do you tie up the other person long enough to pull off the move without getting a penalty? It may be possible but could be a penalty in most cases.

I would work on different ways to win faceoffs with your hands and quickness.

Hmmm... let's see... you lift their stick and move to scoop the puck as you pivot (a spreadeagle or mohawk... lol, I still get confused on the terminology) to send the puck to your D or Wing... and in the pivoting, your butt turns into the opposing forward.

Technically you may not have absolute control of the puck... yet.... because there is that moment of lifting stick and pivoting where the puck is just sitting there as an open invitation.

So, I know under the current enforcement, the lifting of the stick in this case is ok, and as long as you don't kick the puck with your feet, you should be ok. That moment of transition (when you pivot and turn your butt into the opposing centre) seems to be open to interpretation tho'

If I am reading you correctly Chadd... really it would depend on how smoothly or quickly you made this move. If seamless it would be ok, but if you got "hung up" or had to struggle to get the puck it could then be interpretted as interference.

Am I getting this right?

USA Hockey Rule 624

Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones; however, a goal shall not be allowed if the puck was kicked by an attacking player and entered the goal either directly or after deflecting of any player including the goal keeper.

Hockey Canada Rule 69

Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. This action can not result in a goal being scored.

Edit: point , hm, :D

It's evolution.  I'm sure back in the day Peking man was happy to be grunting and hairy, living in his own filth but I'm sure as hell happy that things have changed on that end too.

LOL good point.

But in this case, alot of people are just so pissed that they dont want to be on the ice anymore. When the team is always playing 4-3 or 4-4.

Cant tell me that your cavemen were upset that they were evolving...

There's always someone left behind by evolution and unhappy about it. Look up the origin of the term Luddite, for example.

The truth of the matter is that the game has changed since its beginning. Guys wear helmets now, better padding, they're faster and stronger and more fit. The game evolves alongside. The rules change too, from season to season. That doesn't make the changes bad (or good, for that matter)--the only thing that can pass that judgement is whether the game is more fun to play and more fun to watch, and I'll take last season's NHL over any other I've ever seen, in a heartbeat.

After playing a couple of games in my local beer league I'd say the changes are good, on balance. They take some getting used to, that's all.

I dont understand why they would change the rules when the sport has been one way since it was invented.

People never complained about the rules, everybody viewed the huge hits, and stick battles as just hockey.

Now all I hear is people saying "This isnt even hockey" as they skate to the box.

This is all ages, squirts to midgets.

It has gotten to the point that lots of players do not even want to play anymore.

Tell me to take up another sport but it wouldnt have to be like that if they hadnt changed anything.

If they were even gona change the rules at all, at least start at age squirts so the players that grew up playing one way could continue playing the game they love. Then the squirts would grow up loving a game they love.

I dont think it was very smart just changing the rules for everybody and expect people to still love the game like they used to.

Chadd, you seem to have the answer to every question in this thread. Can you honestly tell me you like these new rules, and that they are going to better the sport? You cant tell me its going to better the sport because the true talent comes out, because by the way it looks, to many players just want to quit with these new rules.

They're saying it isn't hockey because for way too long the rules haven't been properly enforced. It isn't the hockey they're used to playing would be a more accurate statement. In the long run, it is going to make the sport better. Of course players and coaches have to accept the fact that it's not like it used to be and work on adapting to the new standards.

I would say 75% of the penalties that I have called are because players stop skating. The hooks, holds and slashes are from guys being lazy and just not moving their feet.

chadd,

do u mean like when someone cant catch up to someone, and they trip/hook/slash them?

or do u mean they are just being careless and swingin their stick around and stufF?

Yeah our Juniors league adapted to the rules too. Because i'm a small player at 5'7 (Brian Gionta anyone?), I feel more comfortable now wearing a visor instead of a shield. It keeps my awareness up, and these new rules I feel could protect the smaller players like me from getting their face bashed in. It also would increase players like me to get scouted more, as im sure that we were overlooked in the past. But these new rules are great, and im sure now everyone can benefit from it

chadd,

do u mean like when someone cant catch up to someone, and they trip/hook/slash them?

or do u mean they are just being careless and swingin their stick around and stufF?

I think he meant that they were being lazy and they were waterskiing instead of trying to take some strides to catch up to the opposing player, which led to a slash/hook/trip/hold.

chadd,

I think he meant that they were being lazy and they were waterskiing instead of trying to take some strides to catch up to the opposing player, which led to a slash/hook/trip/hold.

Close, in a lot of cases a player got beat and their first instict was to reach with the stick to hook or to slash and not to move their feet to try and catch up.

After tonight's practice, my perspective on the newly enforced rules has done a 180. I thought that they made the games more choppy because of so many penalties and it wasn't fun at all. But, tonight at practice, we were working on breakouts and I came out of my own zone with the puck and the forechecker was waterskiing on me and jabbing me with his stick, something that would surely have been a penalty. I tried to shift to my left, but he put his stick between my legs and I fell awkwardly on my hip. My hip is now killing me and I know I'm out for at least a week, maybe more. MI think it's my hip flexor, as it hurts to put any power in my stride, whether it's walking or skating.