Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sk8goat

First time on Mission skates - awesome

Going from Bauer Supremes to Mission Fuel 110AG. The fit is fantastic, the boot feels great but...I feel like Bambi on ice. I am not an overly agile skater but I can get going pretty quick and stay on my feet - at least on my old skates.

But, with the Missions, I felt like I couldn't get any push-off. I was also unsteady.

Anyone else go from Supremes to Missions? What pitch did you use?

I will bet you simply did not get a correct first sharpening and the hollow was not established. Have them sharpened again, then report back.

Missions aren't as stiff, they have a longer radius on the steel and is much different cut. It's odd that you would choose that skate since you are coming from a Bauer.

I recently went from Vapor XXs to Mission L-7s (similar to XPs). Im using neutral pitch, and the transition was pretty smooth (although it was also suggested to try -1). Ã was thinking the same thing as Jimmy about the sharpening. In regards to the radius, my LS holders on my bauers and the pitch had the same radius in my size (288 steel on both, 11' radius)

Missions aren't as stiff, they have a longer radius on the steel and is much different cut. It's odd that you would choose that skate since you are coming from a Bauer.

I couldn't wear Bauers anymore due to a heel problem called "Haglund's Deformity". I needed a wider heel and a deeper boot. The Missions seemed to provide that for me. And on the ice, where I would feel a biting pain in my heel before, the Missions are very comfortable.

I'm going to try the -1 pitch. I was at neutral.

The radius does not feel longer. In fact, that's the problem, they feel like they have the wrong contour although I asked the shop to give me a forward's contour.

I will bet you simply did not get a correct first sharpening and the hollow was not established. Have them sharpened again, then report back.

That might be it too because when I first stepped on the ice, I felt like I had flat-ground goalie's skates on.

im skating in a pair of 110XPs and my regular skates are grafs and i have my missions on a neutral setting and when i first stepped on the ice I also felt abit shaky but after that i was fine. But I would suggest to have them sharpened properly and maybe even profiled to your skating style and try the -1 setting

Locust, would you say your bauer xx is better or L7 better overall? I am thinking of switching from L7 to the bauer series... the heel tab on my right skate of L7 is ripping off after 2 mths of use :(

Locust, would you say your bauer xx is better or L7 better overall? I am thinking of switching from L7 to the bauer series... the heel tab on my right skate of L7 is ripping off after 2 mths of use :(

So take your skates back and have it warrantied. We warranty our skates for one full year.

Hi

I have a pair of 110 AG and came to them from a higher end CCM Tack. I set mine to the +1 and they are perfect. And as you stated they are SUPER comfortable. If you are having trouble skating try the + and - setting to see the diff. Or have your LHS profile you blade to the bauer settings.

Good luck

I attempted to take some measurements last night by placing the skate on a piece of paper, sliding another piece of paper under the blade until it would go no further. Thus, I established a contact patch for both my old Bauers and my new Missions. Here's what I found:

The Bauer blade contacts the ice 4.5 inches from the front of the blade. The size of the patch is 2.3 inches.

The Mission blade contacts the ice 3.5 inches from the front of the blade and the size of the patch is 2.75 inches.

Any thoughts on how this might affect my skating? The rest of the blade contour seemed about the same.

As you have already documented the blade lye is a little different from what your used to in a Bauer skate so it may take you some time to adjust to your new stance on the ice. Since Bauer skates tend to be a little more of a back on your heel stance logic would dictate you set your blades to the -1 pitch setting on your blades. This will give you more of a similar pitch to a Bauer skate and probably help you adjust a little easier to you new blades. You really need to give yourself at least 7 to 10 ice sessions to fairly evaluate your new Missions before you give up on them. Any new pair of skates will feel foreign to you, especially if you change brands. I have changed between CCM and Easton on several occasions and even though the skate fit is very close, I find they sit slightly different on the ice. I feel slightly higher up and leaned forward on the Eastons where I tend to be slightly lower and more neutral on the CCM's. The difference is sutle enough though. to the point where it really doesn't effect my skating mobilty. Years back I changed from Bauers to CCM's and found a profound difference for the first month or two until I became adjusted to the CCM's. It all depends which skate brand you are changing to and the different concept ideas from that particular manufacturer. Different manufacturers have different ideas on how a skate should feel to perform most efficiently on the ice surface.

I just switched from CCM Tacks to Mission S500s and skated for the first time tonite. Completely different feel. Fell on my ass the first time I tried to switch from going forward to skating backwards. It will be an adjustment but it seemed the longer I skated the more comfortable I got, and was able to get a deeper knee bend and cut the ice at lower angle than with my tacks. I may fiddle with the + and - settings. Im looking for more speed but the +1 may be a bit much for me.

I nottice I get tighter turning when Im on skates that are back on there heels. Does that mean a forward lean would hurt my tight turning?

I changed the title on this thread because I played last night with the adjusted pitch (-1) and I was blown away. The -1 pitch set me up almost identically to my Bauers except I felt like I had slightly less blade behind the pivot point. No matter, took me one shift to get used to it.

I felt I was much more agile on the Missions. Pivotting was much, much easier. The only problem I had was when I stuck my leg out to try to block a pass, the skate stayed locked into it's edge. Probably just an issue with over-sharpening.

The big plus with the Missions was the light weight. Since this is old guy hockey, conditioning comes into play in the latter part of the game. Maybe I'm in better shape this winter but I never got the lead foot feeling that I used to get in my last few shifts.

For fit issues, the only problem I found was that there was a bit too much vertical space in the toe box. I think this could be corrected with a thicker sock.

Bottom line - great skates.

This is aimed mainly at Justin:

I currently am in ccm pf10's. The perfect size for me in this skate would have been a 10.5E(I got the 11E.). They are not bad, but a little narrow in the heel and too stiff around the eyelets.

I am a big beer leauger guy (6'2", 225lbs.) I like a lot of forward flex, but don't know if I would call myself agile. So, am I AG or XP?

Long story short; I have been looking for a new ice skate (and rh skate) and my LHS almost sold me a pair of graf 705's, but I'm not sure about them. I'm open to other brands, so here's your chance to sell me on Mission's.

What (mission) ice skate and size would you suggest?

Also, what (mission) rh skate (and size) would you suggest?