Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Netminder32

"What's in the bag" Calgary Flames Website

Phaneuf says his stick is a Synergy 100 isn't that the lower synergy model a price point stick if you will?

its synergy st grip and the 100 is for 100 flex the easton price point stick is the 300,350

Dion Phaneufs says his skates are sharpened before every game, do lots of pros do this?

probably, once you get a hollow you like and use to, you like to get them sharpened pretty often. Like for me it is 1", so I get them sharpened before every game and sometimes pratice too.

I also skate on 1". I see absolutely no reason to sharpen your skates before every session when skating at that hollow. Your sharpener must really not like you.

Cool feature. I wonder if the poster boys will reveal what's really under their uniform, or what they're wearing for the sponsor pics? I guess we'll see when Iggy opens his bag because he's a Nike posterboy but once after a fight I saw some Jofa under there.

Naslund is an NBH poster boy and he uses Jofa shoulder pads, elbow pads and shin pads. Sportsnet had a scene of him in the dressing room and I saw CCM on the hip of his pants so I don't think what you can't see matters. Also, Iginla wears Nike V-14 shoulder pads doesn't he?

Cool feature.  I wonder if the poster boys will reveal what's really under their uniform, or what they're wearing for the sponsor pics?  I guess we'll see when Iggy opens his bag because he's a Nike posterboy but once after a fight I saw some Jofa under there.

It doesn't matter what is underneath - nobody sees it.

Most of the time people don't see it. Sometimes you get glimpses from locker room interviews, and as I mentioned earlier, fights. The latter not so much now jerseys are tied down...but still credibility is everything when it comes to celebrity endorsements.

Dion Phaneufs says his skates are sharpened before every game, do lots of pros do this?

probably, once you get a hollow you like and use to, you like to get them sharpened pretty often. Like for me it is 1", so I get them sharpened before every game and sometimes pratice too.

I also skate on 1". I see absolutely no reason to sharpen your skates before every session when skating at that hollow. Your sharpener must really not like you.

Actually, he is paid for that, why would he hate me?

Also, after a few hours, your edge are worn out a bit so it is not the same thing as it was right when he did it.

Cool feature.  I wonder if the poster boys will reveal what's really under their uniform, or what they're wearing for the sponsor pics?  I guess we'll see when Iggy opens his bag because he's a Nike posterboy but once after a fight I saw some Jofa under there.

Naslund is an NBH poster boy and he uses Jofa shoulder pads, elbow pads and shin pads. Sportsnet had a scene of him in the dressing room and I saw CCM on the hip of his pants so I don't think what you can't see matters. Also, Iginla wears Nike V-14 shoulder pads doesn't he?

I always thought Iginla was NBH aswell not that it really matters anyway.

Endorsement deals generally do not include pads, because it is not exposed (aka no advertising)

I agree to a degree JR. There is a lot of implied usage going on. Sid and RBK. Naslund and Nike/Bauer, etc. Both brands had the athlete "model" their high-end retail products in posters and online. That's implied usage. I've sure you're heard, "But mom, these are the shoulder pads Markus Naslund wears...they have to be good!" (Well maybe Naslund isn't the name used in Motorcity...but here in Vancouver, for sure....and I highly doubt Nazzy is wearing V-14 protective during NHL games.)

Edit: Forgot Nike V-14 is their high-end stuff...I originally had V-12...same point though.

That is a lot better than the Flames version. The Arnason one is funny. Seems like a character. He'll need to keep that up as it looks like the Chicago hockey club is in for a long season.

Arnason plays for the Avs this year, but yes, it probably will be a long year for Chicago.

Imply all you want - they are free to wear whatever pads they want to. Their endorsement contract doesn't cover it.

Maybe jjtt99 was going more the route of a possible legal issue with the implied usage bit. That's how I took it anyways. They are not obliged to wear this stuff through their contract, like you said, but maybe they are legally because they advertise wearing it? Possibly false advertisement.

Maybe not though, I'm no lawyer.

Imply all you want - they are free to wear whatever pads they want to.  Their endorsement contract doesn't cover it.

Maybe jjtt99 was going more the route of a possible legal issue with the implied usage bit. That's how I took it anyways. They are not obliged to wear this stuff through their contract, like you said, but maybe they are legally because they advertise wearing it? Possibly false advertisement.

Maybe not though, I'm no lawyer.

There is a significant difference between modeling a product, endorsing a product and explicitly saying they use it.

There is no direct connection between modeling a product and usage, and even endorsers do not necessarily actually use the product on a regular or exclusive basis. For example, say Cindy Crawford in Clairol Nice'n Easy hair colour campaign I think around 2002 - do we really think Cindy colours her own hair at home?

Mind you, when you hear some of the NHL players explaining why they use certain brands - a la Tyler Arnason a few posts back - I have to shake my head at how some of us "regular folks" cling to exactly which player is using what equipment...LOL

There was a tidbit in the newspaper today about Fedorov's one90s. He says he switches holders depending on how the ice is. He has "Super Steel" holders, I'm guessing his ICMs I think it is for hard ice. And uses Custom+, which I've noticed him wearing a lot lately, on softer ice. Says it makes him faster...beats me.

Im not surprised all the chicago players are wearing jofa elbows. Best elbows i've ever owned.

well it is tough to find anyone in the league that doesn't use Jofa/RBK for elbow pads

There is no direct connection between modeling a product and usage, and even endorsers do not necessarily actually use the product on a regular or exclusive basis. For example, say Cindy Crawford in Clairol Nice'n Easy hair colour campaign I think around 2002 - do we really think Cindy colours her own hair at home?

Exactly - I always seriously doubted Tiger Woods drives a Buick or Jordan goes to a McDonalds. He may not even wear Hanes!

There is no direct connection between modeling a product and usage, and even endorsers do not necessarily actually use the product on a regular or exclusive basis.  For example, say Cindy Crawford in Clairol Nice'n Easy hair colour campaign I think around 2002 - do we really think Cindy colours her own hair at home?

Exactly - I always seriously doubted Tiger Woods drives a Buick or Jordan goes to a McDonalds. He may not even wear Hanes!

He may have one buick if he has a little car collection.

Maybe a guy with shoulder issues like Ruutu should upgrade his f'ing shoulder pads.

If they are the ones I'm thinking of the SP800 are a good pad with decent padding/protection in the shoulder area. I use a pair of sp1000's and Ive hurt my shoudler once or twice. It happens, you get hit the wrong way or fall the wrong way shoulder pads arent going to help a bit.

I think the main reason for majority Jofa use is because they were one of the few companies that made high end elbow pads with enough padding on the outside of the plastic cap to be certifide by the nhl. explaining the "99% of the nhl" ads they had out a few years back.