Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Guest OSTOR

Master car, truck, etc... topic

My new ride...

DSCN1392.jpg

Schwinn Tempo frame, back when Schwinns were made in Chicago.

Fixed Gear bike, 52/19 gearing, hell of a fun project to build.

Edited by GoHawks

Fixed gear track bike AND a front brake......a bit of overkill?? ;)

Also.....if that is your commuter bike.....and my eyes serve me correctly and those are Vredestein dual comp tires, I would put on something different. Great tire for traction in all conditions, but they are very soft and prone to cuts in both the compound and the sidewalls. Not an admirable trait with a commuter bike. Specialized makes some great commuter tires with their "Armour" compound to keep ward off cuts and flats......great for keeping you rolling as opposed to on the side of the road and changing a tire and being late for work. :)

Edited by Spreedizzle

My new ride...

DSCN1392.jpg

Schwinn Tempo frame, back when Schwinns were made in Chicago.

Fixed Gear bike, 52/19 gearing, hell of a fun project to build.

That looks pretty cool, almost like something you would hang on the wall. Im way too lazy to ride a bike like that, so I got this:

PIC-0769.jpg

Also.....if that is your commuter bike.....and my eyes serve me correctly and those are Vredestein dual comp tires, I would put on something different. Great tire for traction in all conditions, but they are very soft and prone to cuts in both the compound and the sidewalls. Not an admirable trait with a commuter bike. Specialized makes some great commuter tires with their "Armour" compound to keep ward off cuts and flats......great for keeping you rolling as opposed to on the side of the road and changing a tire and being late for work.

I take it to/from school when it's above 35 degrees or so. They're Hutchinson Equinox tires, they're pretty soft, but I got them on chainlove for 10 a piece, something to get me rolling for the time being. Kept the front brake for safety, less hassle from the cops (you can get tickets for riding brakeless), gf would kill me if i ran brakeless, and there are a lot of shithead drivers around here. I'll look into the specialized tires, but I'll probably keep the Hutch's on for the winter (built it up so I don't have to ride my roadie in the snow). I'd like to run it brakeless someday, but I'm still pretty new to riding fixed, so I think it's my best bet to stay alive long enough to get the skill to ride w/o a brake :D

Oh, and I'd love to commute, but delivering pizzas would be kind of hard on a bike, looking to maybe work for a sub shop and deliver on bike in the spring.

And most importantly, it's a blast to ride :P

Quick edit on what I did for the build:

It was almond colored when I started. Stripped it down to the frame, sandblasted it (steel frame), cleaned up the headset/bottom bracket bearings.

shaved off the shifter bosses and water cage braze-ons, chopped the derailleur hanger, filled in some holes in the fork (it had a set of holes for some sort of front axle lock, don't need it with track nuts in place of quick-release axles), bondo, primer, custom paint (that's a rattlecan job), and clearcoat. flop and chop bullhorns, mavic cxp-22 wheelset, shimano 105 cranks

Edited by GoHawks

Quick edit on what I did for the build:

It was almond colored when I started. Stripped it down to the frame, sandblasted it (steel frame), cleaned up the headset/bottom bracket bearings.

shaved off the shifter bosses and water cage braze-ons, chopped the derailleur hanger, filled in some holes in the fork (it had a set of holes for some sort of front axle lock, don't need it with track nuts in place of quick-release axles), bondo, primer, custom paint (that's a rattlecan job), and clearcoat. flop and chop bullhorns, mavic cxp-22 wheelset, shimano 105 cranks

Nice job, I love that blue. With all the extras cut off the frame is soo smooth and it really highlights the classic 2 triangle architecture of the frame.

By flop and chop bullhorns, do you mean you took standard road handle bars and cut the ends off and mounted them upside down?

K8 GSX-R 1000

80060008_GSX-R1000_K8_C1.jpg

(still havent figured out a suitable way to carry a stick yet :( (I dont like the idea of carrying it strapped to my back and then being taken out by some twatt who got their liscence from the bottom of a weatbix packet) )

Edited by Darkbyte

K8 GSX-R 1000

(still havent figured out a suitable way to carry a stick yet :( (I dont like the idea of carrying it strapped to my back and then being taken out by some twatt who got their liscence from the bottom of a weatbix packet) )

Could always do like the one guy I skate with and get a shotgun rack. His is mounted on the front forks, but he has a lot more fork than you do.

Interesting thought, thankyou. You are right, there isnt much room to do anything. My backpack, ends up sitting on the pillion seat.

I've gotten away with hiring a stick from the rink so far, but its way to short. May buy a cheapy and see if I can leave it at the rink.

There used to be a guy that came to the rink on a bike with sticks out the top of his backpack with jubilee clips and zip ties holding them in tight, seemed to work well for him.

Maybe you could devise a telescopic hockey stick :P

Find two S17s, one with a top break, one with a bottom. Chisel and shave the tenons for male-female ends, cut it short for a 12" plug, assemble the 3 pieces when you get to the rink. :D

Or leave a stick with a friend that you know is showing up.

Nice morning I had today. People suck at driving, especially the 40-something lady who decided to hit me on my way to work. I was at fault for her speeding around a blind turn. At least her car got fucked a lot more than mine.

Chrysler 300 vs. Volvo V70 - The 300 had to be towed with half the front end ripped apart, I drove back to my apartment.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Dudley Moore would be proud of his failed advertising campaign

"Boxy but we are safe as hell"

let see who gets that reference?

Dudley Moore would be proud of his failed advertising campaign

"Boxy but we are safe as hell"

let see who gets that reference?

Wasn't the line: "They're boxy...but they're good"

Have I been misquoting it all these years?

Rust.......explain the scenario and how exactly you are at fault in this one??? :blink:

Coming out of my apartment complex there's a trailer company on my driver's side with a sign on the fence and flatbeds with their ramps sticking up, hard to see traffic from that way. I see nothing, pull out for the left turn across the 2 northbound lanes and hit the brakes as I then see a car coming at a good clip, I'm pretty far out, maybe a full lane at this point. Two thoughts; 1. Where the fuck did that come from 2. MOVE. Split second decision, no time to back up, the driver didn't react at all so I gunned it and prayed. Turbo lag = no getup and go so the lady hits me going somewhere south of 50 I can only assume. Spun my car 180 on a dry road, you do the math. Thank god there were no other cars southbound, I would have been spit into them.

The speed limit is 35 and she came at me faster than most cars I've seen as I usually wait 5 minutes for a clearing every morning and see lots of cars.

Basically I was obstructing her lane and am at fault. She didn't hit the brakes, swerve, nothing. When the cop asked her what happened she basically said she saw me and froze, she couldn't recall what lane she was in and said the center lane, but I'm pretty sure she was curb, less lead time to see that lane and I wouldn't have tried to cross only being a lane out.

So I called a coworker, told him to tell my boss I wasn't going to make it in, and after the cop left and I called insurance I drank half a case of beer and ordered pizza. Fucking $1,000 deductible and I need to move back to MI in 2 weeks.

Theres a turbo on your station wagon? Tight!

Good news is it looks like you can drive it.. atlest you can get back to MI and worry about it then?

It's a turbo 5 cylinder, nothing exciting. I think it's rated at 190hp peak, which is quite high in the rev range. The turbo doesn't really kick on until 2500+ RPM, so starting from a stop like I tried doesn't have any instantly available power. I'm not a fan of turbo cars, and this is yet another reason why I won't own one again unless it's a dual turbo with one setup for low-RPM power.

The tailgate won't close and the square thing behind the wheel is a hole that's open to the rear fuse box and battery. I'd rather not drive with that, even if I tape it off. Hopefully the body shop can get me rolling in 2 weeks.

Is that the 2.4 or 2.5 Rustpot? Ive got an s60 sedan with 2.5t and awd, even with the added weight of the awd I think it has good enouh "off the line" power. The newer volvo's are better and better, not sure Ill drive anything else for a daily driver in my life...except maybe an audi, drove an s4 a few months ago and was impressed.

Zach

Is that the 2.4 or 2.5 Rustpot? Ive got an s60 sedan with 2.5t and awd, even with the added weight of the awd I think it has good enouh "off the line" power. The newer volvo's are better and better, not sure Ill drive anything else for a daily driver in my life...except maybe an audi, drove an s4 a few months ago and was impressed.

Zach

2001, 2.4T I believe. I also have the shitty 2001 tranny that doesn't switch gears very quickly, they've upgraded both the engine and transmission several times across the board in the years since.

I must say the Volvo has spoiled me though. I think I was 20 or 21 when I bought it used, and being used to all of the creature comforts is going to make it hard buying something with less than $40,000 as the starting sticker price. I've been looking at used Benz 4-matic wagons and 3 series xit's from BMW to replace it. I don't know if I'll stick with Volvo, the XC70 is about the only suiting model for me (AWD wagon) and I'd like to move into something with a little more pep and handling abilities.

Edited by Rustpot

Also.....if that is your commuter bike.....and my eyes serve me correctly and those are Vredestein dual comp tires, I would put on something different. Great tire for traction in all conditions, but they are very soft and prone to cuts in both the compound and the sidewalls. Not an admirable trait with a commuter bike. Specialized makes some great commuter tires with their "Armour" compound to keep ward off cuts and flats......great for keeping you rolling as opposed to on the side of the road and changing a tire and being late for work. :)

Three words - Schwalbe Stelvio Plus. More puncture protective and actually have grip when its wet. 3000k and still not one flat!