Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Koho is Dead

Crazy Training Stories

Some of the guy on our team got caught drinking the night b4 training. Lets just say the coach wasnt to pleased. He put a bin in the middle of the ice and skated all of us. We wernt alloud to leave the ice untill eveyone was sik in the bin. and even afta everyone was sik..... We still had to skate. I laugh about it now. It wasnt to funny at the time tho.

Haringay?

No, at haringey no one would turn the nest week if the coach did that :blink:

He was reffering to his jr B team in Canada

Our league isn't competitive enough to justify that kind of training, sure I'd do it, but, we would end up with a line of players to each game. A line of fit players, but only a line none the less.

Yes, it was the Illinois 90 team. It pissed me off too because like our 91's or 89's didnt have such a hard workout that they all puked. I guess our 90 age had alot of close competition so they wanted to see who had endurance.

When I talked to some friends that played on Missouri and Wisconson, their tryout wasnt hard either to the point where they puked.

I was on New York 90 team. Did we play you?

Our tryout was pretty tough. A lot of skating especially for a roller hockey tryout!

I dont know, which year did you play? I played the first year of statewars and it wasnt all it was cracked up to be so i didnt play the second year. I know we played you guys the first year, i think we lost 4-3 and we are closest game anyone gave you guys.

Yea, same here. I played the first year then didnt think it was worth the long trip to Chicago the next year. You guys were by far the best team we played. The championship was a joke!

Why do coaches skate thier teams like this? It's counter productive to actually producing players who skate well.

But hey I guess if the coach wins games it doesn't matter that thier players are getting weaker or anything. :blink:

I play in the UK, when i was a rookie we played a game against a team in the league below us and they beat us and we played bad, really bad! So our coach comes in the room after and says you have 3 minutes to get your skates off and get on the bus! We had to walk out the rink in our full kit and shoes on instead of our skates. One guy didnt make it, i swear to god my coach left him to travel back with a fan and he got fined. We got on the bus, travelled back to our rink (2/3 hours) then when we got back we heard the old youngblood quote, "dont hang them up" and we skated for an hour til 2am! We didnt loose against the team the next day when they came to our rink thats for sure!

Why do coaches skate thier teams like this? It's counter productive to actually producing players who skate well.

But hey I guess if the coach wins games it doesn't matter that thier players are getting weaker or anything. :blink:

Sometimes it's discipline, sometimes it's negative reinforcement, sometimes you just flat out need to send a message. Other times like during preseason, you want to see how much mental toughness a kid has, or build a "can do" attitude. At higher levels it's necessary and can help mold a team.

One time in junior we snuck into town during an away game and decided to party all night - one of the roomies had just turned 19, and it was one of the few towns in the league with a decent scene and female population. We had won the game that night pretty handily. Needless to say, we played like donkey feces the next night, reeked of booze and got worked in a line brawl. As we got into the locker room to shower and leave, the coach came in and yelled, "Leave your shit on, the bus is leaving now!" tossed 20 skate guards into the room (I guess he was mad enough to buy $200 worth of skate guards). We sat on the bus for the 5 hour ride home in our wet gear; it's pretty much every bit as horrible as you can think it would be. But we deserved it, and it got a message through. Next day at practice we got skated through the concrete, while a bunch of kids he claimed he had just tendered watched us do skate the mountain (herbies that go all the way around the ice), up and overs (sideboards but you start on a bench and jump the boards and end jumping back into the bench), positional bags, bull in the ring (ever seen a 1 on 1 battle without a puck?) and Normandy beach (seal crawls but timed). Turns out later the kids he had "tendered" were some kids he paid $5 at the local mall to come over and watch just to scare us into actually doing the obscene amount of skating.

It's not training, it's punishment. There are several reasons coaches do this:

1) They don't know what they are doing

2) The kids really did something wrong

3) Their coach did it to them so they think it's the only way to do it

I would only skate my team to death if they did something off the ice: acted bad on a road trip (trash hotels, etc), abused an official, etc. I wouldn't do it because of game performance. How do I know that it's their fault? Maybe as a coach I didn't do a good enough job teaching a concept.

I puked one time in a tryout. Actually 5-6 of us did. For Statewars team.

And I'll answer it now since I bet all of you will ask - Did I make it since I puked?

Yea, turns out everyone that went off the rink to puke made it. Guess they saw it as how hard we were trying.

This one other time my coach had a no puck practice but it wasnt crazy intense. He gave us like three -two minute breaks but it still hurt.

wow, what year were the state wars tryout for? at ours usually most everyone makes the team. not hard core tryouts

But hey I guess if the coach wins games it doesn't matter that thier players are getting weaker or anything. :rolleyes:

When you get to a certain level in competitive sports, your players know how to do the basics (like skate), so the point of the sprints is not to perfect their stride but to conidition or punish them, depending on the situation. If I have to skate sprints for an hour because we slacked off in a game, I will think twice before I bring a half-assed performance into the next game.

And I'll answer it now since I bet all of you will ask - Did I make it since I puked?

Yea, turns out everyone that went off the rink to puke made it. Guess they saw it as how hard we were trying.

This one other time my coach had a no puck practice but it wasnt crazy intense. He gave us like three -two minute breaks but it still hurt.

wow, what year were the state wars tryout for? at ours usually most everyone makes the team. not hard core tryouts

Illinios 90 wasnt super hard to make, the talent was just really close. So thats why they skated us I guess. Since no body else skated alot, I cant figure any other reason.

What team did you play on? I stayed all two weeks and watched the womans division too.

Illinios 90 wasnt super hard to make, the talent was just really close. So thats why they skated us I guess. Since no body else skated alot, I cant figure any other reason.

What team did you play on? I stayed all two weeks and watched the womans division too.

we didnt have a big enough turnout for an 88 team or a womans team

Really? In some states they were letting like girls age 12-35? play. Im not sure the exact ages but there were some pretty young girls then some mothers playing on the same team.

You guys must have really been lacking skaters.

Sometimes it's discipline, sometimes it's negative reinforcement, sometimes you just flat out need to send a message. Other times like during preseason, you want to see how much mental toughness a kid has, or build a "can do" attitude. At higher levels it's necessary and can help mold a team.

One time in junior we snuck into town during an away game and decided to party all night - one of the roomies had just turned 19, and it was one of the few towns in the league with a decent scene and female population. We had won the game that night pretty handily. Needless to say, we played like donkey feces the next night, reeked of booze and got worked in a line brawl. As we got into the locker room to shower and leave, the coach came in and yelled, "Leave your shit on, the bus is leaving now!" tossed 20 skate guards into the room (I guess he was mad enough to buy $200 worth of skate guards). We sat on the bus for the 5 hour ride home in our wet gear; it's pretty much every bit as horrible as you can think it would be. But we deserved it, and it got a message through. Next day at practice we got skated through the concrete, while a bunch of kids he claimed he had just tendered watched us do skate the mountain (herbies that go all the way around the ice), up and overs (sideboards but you start on a bench and jump the boards and end jumping back into the bench), positional bags, bull in the ring (ever seen a 1 on 1 battle without a puck?) and Normandy beach (seal crawls but timed). Turns out later the kids he had "tendered" were some kids he paid $5 at the local mall to come over and watch just to scare us into actually doing the obscene amount of skating.

Ha, great story.

Well my main point, it's fine use it as punishment once you pay your players (or to hold them accountable for irresponcibility), but at any point before that, aren't you losing sight of why you're coaching?

If the players aren't working hard enough, is there a lack of inspiriation, is that the coach's fault? Is it that the wrong players are on the ice? There is probally something else that needs to be adressed.

As far as the form goes, using long bag skates creates different energy system work than what's required for hockey. It is in my opinion the wrong approach for pretty much any reason it's used, even punishment. There's more creative ways to punish the team or create "mental toughness" than to blow your whistle again and again.

my coach now feels that with the new rules speed and endurance are the most important parts of the game. also hes a real discipline coach so fighting, mouthing off and that sort of stuff are a no go...so his rule is after every weekend of play, he announces everybody's name who got a penalty. we line up on the goalline and have to do 1 sideboard for every penalty MINUTE we get...so 1 minor=2 sideboards. unfortauntely after one weekend that got a little ugly, a kid ended having to 26 sideboards...lets just say he wont be mouthing off to a ref anytime soon.

my coach now feels that with the new rules speed and endurance are the most important parts of the game. also hes a real discipline coach so fighting, mouthing off and that sort of stuff are a no go...so his rule is after every weekend of play, he announces everybody's name who got a penalty. we line up on the goalline and have to do 1 sideboard for every penalty MINUTE we get...so 1 minor=2 sideboards. unfortauntely after one weekend that got a little ugly, a kid ended having to 26 sideboards...lets just say he wont be mouthing off to a ref anytime soon.

our coach used to make those who got penaltys skate laps and if they didnt skate hard they had to keep going. i think thats a good idea becuase youll think twice before you mouth off.

We were at the big nickel tourny in sudbury and our coach told us curfew was at 10 pm that night and 6 of our guys respected the curfew and went to bed the rest went in someones room.. then next game our coach sat our 3 of the 6 defence and we only had one line and a spare for the entire game he didnt dress anyone else.. i was batam age at the time and the coach picked up a peewee goalie to play. The next pracky the 3 guys that went to bed had pucks and te rest of us didnt. He made us to ups and downs on every single line when we were doing a lap we did boards to boards circles stops and starts you name it we did it and if you got sick he benched us for the game after.. 2 guys got sick but he didnt stick to his word and yah my knees and legs were much but from that day on.. that practice made me the fast and agility skater i am now!

We played a game the night before and got absolutely killed. It was a team that seriously we could have beaten but we lost 10-1 (i have no idea how). After the game he said that he wasnt going to skate us the next day because it wouldnt accomplish anything. So we show up to practice expecting just a normal one and we get out there and we dump the pucks from the bag and he sees this and just screams "You wont be needing those!" It just happened to be a 2 hour and 30 minute practice as well (normally they are just an hour and 15 mins). He told us to stretch out really well and while we were stretching he carries out two trash cans and tells us to get on the line and we skated suicides the whole time...Not a very fun practice...

One tournament in wetaskawin, (small hick town) We had lost a game 7-1 or so. and we were getting ready to go eat and then we were gettin undressed and our coach said don't shower put on your sweatsuits. he takes us out to a field middle of no where and we have to run for 15 minutes, 50 push ups. then line up 100 or so yards down the field and 15 sprints to the bus (there and back was one) last line had to do 50 push ups. We all puked, and he then took us back to the rink just before it closed to shower and then we went out to eat.