Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keroleen

Female Skates

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good ice skate for absolute beginner. I wanna try skating on ice with the possibility of hockey (doing inline right now). I am wondering if it makes a difference using a female skate or just the regular men's.

Welcome to the board, Keroleen.

The only company who makes a non-custom women's skate is Mission...the Pure SW.

Not only are they narrower, but women's calves/ankle bones are lower than men's. They're also not as stiff.

However, most women end up going with men's skates.

They'll most likely be way too stiff for her. The retails are already pretty stiff but the ones at Cyclone are pro stocks.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes i heard of the Mission SW/Betty skate.

But maybe it is more for pro.

I am looking for something for learning to skate but also can use for rec level hockey in futures.

thanks

I wasn't sure.... not too many online places have them.

Found a couple of the older Betty skates for $130 at hockeygiant and $90 at 1800faceoff (faceoff only had them in sizes 4 and 4.5).

hey does any one know where i can get Mission SW or Betty or whatever female HOCKEY skate in the Greater Vancouver area?I am looking for size 10 or 11 I found some at sport check but they were the wrong size. Apparently Mission skate is correct shoe size and one size down?

Information would be appreciated. Thanx

i know nothing about the diff between a female and male foot, but i know sumthing about ice hockey boots for begginers: try not to get to stiff a boot. u will never be able to learn the correct stride. Therefore, i would reccomend sumthin softer like a graf 500 series skate or like a ccm 452 or 652. also like a new vapor 10 might be good for u (it is narrowwer than the grafs) the grafs are dece expensive but the ccm (wider) is dece cheap. the vapor 10s are in between. u might wanna try all three of those on and choose the most comfortable.

Alot of women like CCM tacks.. i don't know myself as I have never tried them but on my women's team alot of the women like CCM. I prefer Mission. I tried Nike long time ago, hated them.. stuck with my Mission amp2s ever since. So I suggest Mission Bettys as well or try on some tacks :)

mich

Keroleen,

You already have tons of great info...here's what I think has been missed or touched on too lightly.

Jr's absolutely 100% accurate about womens feet adn calf's and many women prefer CCM for the shallow boot and narrowness. However, women also like the arch and pitch(angle of the boot-without being overly technical).

The most important thing that a women must consider is the size. If you end up in 4-6(skate size) look at higher end skates because they are junior. The reason is due construction. Generally lower end junior skates are made with cheap(cardboard like appearance) instead of a plastic like bottom. This will cause the skate to wear out way sooner, when you should only wear a skate out in a number of years.

The mission skate is excellent for women but the best thing you can do it try lots of different skates on and find the best fit. When you narrow it down to a couple. Wear them for 15-20 mins in the store. This amount time will let you detect any pressure/sore spots.