Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OhMyGodImOnFire

goalie mask

Depends on where you playing...I've yet to see a ref around here stop anyone with an equipment issue besides people not buckling their straps. As far as I know, we're supposed to have full gear on when we play too but guys with no shoulders skate around all the time, as well as the 'suspicious' guys with taped on numbers which are supposedly banned.

But is it just as safe for your head?

Also, assuming I hypothetically get to sone big tournament finals somwhere down the road where there are higher quality refs, do you think THEY will check?

Why cause Canadians shoot so much harder? :P Having the sticker doesn't mean it'll be a lot safer...like I say the Itech 1200/1400 are approved, but they are known as widowmakers, so go figure.

And idk...you gonna need to ask the refs on that last question. It's always a possbility and they supposed to do that for normal players helmets too. I think there's actually a topic on that here...might too to search hard for it though.

Yeah, I currently use a franklin, and am trying desperately to quickly get out of it. On a side note, does anybody know where you can get the coolmax sweatband that comes in the Franklin masks? I lost my spare, my current one is next to unuseable, and my LHS doesn't have them.

Nothing wrong with the Franklins...they're decent for what they are. And just slap whatever sweat band you got in there, just get like a Nike or Underarmour one if your wanting the 'Coolmax' as you can probably get one with the same moisture wicking properties.

I haven't had any problems and very few ringers out of my GFM 6000 not bad for the $100 I paid for it.

I had lost my spare Coolmax band, but found it. My original one was crap after like 6 months. If you can find a Franklin goalie helmet bag on sale, it should come with an extra Coolmax band. I know my LHS had one in the past.

Nothing wrong with the Franklins...they're decent for what they are. And just slap whatever sweat band you got in there, just get like a Nike or Underarmour one if your wanting the 'Coolmax' as you can probably get one with the same moisture wicking properties.

Yeah, I really don't have any other ones. Can you just get them at Dick's or something?

A single color is not going to be that expensive, but I can't think of another company that had a yellow mask, stock.

On another note, too bad about NXi. If their masks have been de-certified then it can only mean bad things, for the company.

::m

yeah, although it does raise the question about what happened. NXI makes a great product, I can't see why they would take the certification away from their masks. I'm sure there is a somewhat valid reason. Hopefully whatever reason that is will get resolved soon.

buy the mask that fits you best for your level of play.

if u are looking for something that will endure the rigors of competitive play over time my 2 suggestions would be:

RBK/Protechsport

www.protechsport.com

Nike/Bauer/ProChoice

http://www.progoaliemask.com/

these maskmakers are true craftsman.each mask is handmade and comes with a lifetime guarantee.

i like the pro-choice bauers, but will also say that i like the redic above all us, it might not be the most well known here but for a while it was the number one seeling mask in europe. It is also the lightest mask i have ever tried on or seen.... except maybe a few pro models. Hard part is finding redics now-a-days

I've gotten word that the Warwick masks are no longer certified, so I'm looking at Masked Marvel helmets. Has anyone used them?

Buy a Warwick and put the stickers on it. Masked Marvel is (as vision said) a relatively new company. I'm sure they're very good, but having never touched one, I can't comment. Warwic have a stellar reputation for mask making that supercedes any existing certification process.

Bottom line: if you go with a reputable builder and have the mask properly fitted (ideally with a custom mold done in-person), it will protect you better than anything off-the-shelf, no matter how certified.

Put it this way -- if you want to actually protect your head, get a Warwick made to fit. If you want your parents to be able to collect insurance money when your 'certified' mask fails and your brain is reduced to violet jelly, go with whatever's pretty and cheap at the pro shop.

I still highly recommend NXI. On the team I coach I recommended a NXI because he was complaining that he needed a new mask because his eddy just didn't fit right(he had a large and needs a medium). I recommended a NXI but he decided to get another eddy... He ended up buying a NXI about a month later and he can't stop talking about how great the mask is. "It's sooo light!" or "This thing is amazing, can't feel a thing."

But of course this is all personal preference.