Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B-Nads

Baseball glove oil on palms?

Has anyone tried this - I have noticed my Eagle palms are starting to get dry and a little crusty after use and figured I'd give them a shot of glove oil - just want to know if there is potential for a problem when doing so.

I was actually thinking about that the other day. It would be interesting what the results might be.

I'd like to hear results with the foam too.

Outstanding idea...I'm gonna go give mine a rub with some foam right now as they are a bit dry and crusty feeling.

Just used the foam on my palms. Works great, nie and pliable and even got a nice bit of tacky feel as if they we're new again.

I can see it working very well on leather palms... but on synthetic palms? Sounds interesting.

Yeah I got leather palms so it worked well....shaving cream would do, and probably be best on the idea so it sorta cleans it a bit.

woudlnt the alcohol in the cream eventually dry out the palms.

Marcelo suggested using Shaving Cream with Lanolin quite some time ago. I'd take his word for it. :ph34r:

how exactly do you do it, do you just rub the shaving cream in until you can't see it or leave it on for a certain amount of time then wipe it off? someone help im confused...

rub the cream on, and then get ur razor nd scrape HARD. You want to peel that outer shell off, thats all hardened sweat and dirt. You want to get to a fresh layer of clean palm, yeah definitely.

The lanolin in shaving cream is the oldest trick in the book. This one goes back to Rawlings "Heart of the Hide" baseball gloves made in the U.S.A., from the 70s into the 90s. These were the Gold Glove Pro model gloves of the day.

I'm talking about the benefits of using shaving cream on gloves over oil. I spent a long time working in a full line sporting goods store. I talked with sales reps across many different sports about tricks of the trade with their different products.I had a Rawlings Company rep who spent over 40 years in the business. He is the guy to tell me the pro baseball players trick of using shaving cream on gloves a long time ago. Using gel shaving cream is better than glove oil because the glove oil will add weight to the glove and make it heavy. There is always someone who puts too much glove oil on the glove, whether its hockey or baseball, and then you have ruined the gloves with the oil. The lanolin in the shaving cream is what softens the leather in the palm. If you are getting the mitts out now for baseball, do not put any leather conditioner on the back of your glove fingers. When you scoop up ground balls the dirt will stick to the back of the glove from the oil and also add weight to your glove. A bit off topic but I just wanted to clarify.

I'm talking about the benefits of using shaving cream on gloves over oil. I spent a long time working in a full line sporting goods store. I talked with sales reps across many different sports about tricks of the trade with their different products.I had a Rawlings Company rep who spent over 40 years in the business. He is the guy to tell me the pro baseball players trick of using shaving cream on gloves a long time ago. Using gel shaving cream is better than glove oil because the glove oil will add weight to the glove and make it heavy. There is always someone who puts too much glove oil on the glove, whether its hockey or baseball, and then you have ruined the gloves with the oil. The lanolin in the shaving cream is what softens the leather in the palm. If you are getting the mitts out now for baseball, do not put any leather conditioner on the back of your glove fingers. When you scoop up ground balls the dirt will stick to the back of the glove from the oil and also add weight to your glove. A bit off topic but I just wanted to clarify.

Much appreciated there though - I have a custom Rodriguez glove on the way, and don't want to turn it into an anchor. I have purchased a bottle oil specifically to treat that glove, but the shave gel trick sounds like it has better results. Thanks.

I am so glad you read this. I used to re-lace baseball gloves at my old shop. I saw so many gloves ruined by guys putting on way too much glove oil. The word "anchor" is so appropriate! I knew you understood my point exactly when I read that. Thanks.

has anybody tried rubbing chapstick or hand lotion on their palms, i just thought of it right now. They are supposed to help moisturize things that are dried out, so why not hockey gloves? sound like a good idea?

Can someone tell me what exactly to do. I am not from here, never played baseball, so have no idea about glove oil.

With the shave gel (it's gel not cream right?), whats the process?

Cheers

The reason to use the shaving gel to soften up your palms is if you have LEATHER palms. The lanolin in the shaving cream will react positively for softening purposes with leather. I learned this with baseball gloves which are obviously leather. So before you go putting shaving gel in synthetic palms I want to let you know that it may not have the same benefits with the synthetic palm. If you use the gel, just spray a small amount in the middle of the palm. Start to rub it in as the gel foams up and spread the excess to the fingers. Again, just a small amount of gel to start as it foams up quickly. I don't know what you use to shave with so don't know your experience. I use Edge Gel, whooppee!! There is not enough alcohol in the shaving gel to do any damage to the leather. Don't worry about that as a problem.

On a related note for conditioning gloves but only true leather hockey gloves there is another product called Lexol available at any good shoe repair shop. Lexol is a light yellow cream product that is excellent for restoring and reconditioning leather that may be a bit dried out. I have used this product for ever on my collection of old leather gloves. Its works very well. The trick is to use a little at a time and work it into your gloves with your fingers. Don't bother with a rag as that will just waste the Lexol as the rag soaks it up. Lexol can be put on any part, including the palms, of a leather hockey glove for reconditioning.

What kills me is how people break baseball gloves now in. Shaving cream, belt, couple baseballs and you put them in the microwave.

How can the microwave be good for the metal rings on the heel of the glove lacing? I guess metal rings are no longer used on the heel of the glove. Its been a few years since I have had to sell a baseball glove at retail.