Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NHL refs

I have a question for a school project how are the NHL refs chosen to ref a game, what kinda of reffing level do they need to be able to ref. Also how much do they get paid per game? Any help would be perfect.

They work their way up the ranks, unless your dad is a well-known NHL ref.

It only helps if your dad is liked by those currently in charge and those guys do work their way up. They just don't have to be the best in order to keep moving up. The AHL is a terrible way to get officials ready to work NHL games, they don;t even use the same officiating methods.

It only helps if your dad is liked by those currently in charge and those guys do work their way up. They just don't have to be the best in order to keep moving up. The AHL is a terrible way to get officials ready to work NHL games, they don;t even use the same officiating methods.

What way would you propose? It seems to me (although I agree with your point about officiaing methods) that the next best league directly below the NHL would be the best option.

What way would you propose? It seems to me (although I agree with your point about officiaing methods) that the next best league directly below the NHL would be the best option.

They all come through the AHL, because that's the way they do it. Most do major junior or ECHL before getting the call to work the NHL. If you want an NHL gig and don't know someone, you might as well forget it.

Yeah, wasn't Fraser's kid one of the lowest-rated refs and kept on moving up?

If you want any gig and don't know someone.....

The path to getting where you want to go in life is taken by Interstate Hard Work.

For the US one's at least..they start local..do the progression within USAHockey...attend some summer camps, they also go to summer camps to learn more...

most move out to do USHL, then look to pick up some college/minor pro while looking for some major Jr action (major jr are mostly the cdn guys though...the WHL had its first ever US ref call a championship game in 06 (Andy Theissen))

then its on to the AHL where most who are in the NHL's scope get what's called a 40/40 deal (40 games in the A, 40 in the N) that usually turns out to be way more A then N...of course by this time..the remainder or the AHL officials are guys who peaked..and live within a certain area for travel....

I 100% agree with RadioGaGa. There is also and NHL officials site that taks about whos gettign chosen to do the playoffs etc. The best thing to do in Ontario is work in the OHA at a young ag (Jr.c,b,a) Then get chosen to do the OHL then from there I have no clue. I also know that the big push right now is for Big Linsemen. If you watch the playoffs theres a linsemen who wears number 88. I beleive he is 6'7.

It only helps if your dad is liked by those currently in charge and those guys do work their way up. They just don't have to be the best in order to keep moving up. The AHL is a terrible way to get officials ready to work NHL games, they don't even use the same officiating methods.

Yeah, wasn't Fraser's kid one of the lowest-rated refs and kept on moving up?

Ryan wasn't that bad as an official and he's a decent guy, it's another guy I'm talking about.

just out of curiosity how much do these guys get paid? I know some of it might be confidential but just a heads up would or a little insight would be appreciated.

A wild guess is somewhere is the 100-200k range depending on experience, negotiating skills, or lineage.

I believe the pay scale is based on years of service in the NHL...

an ECHL linesman may only make 30k or so for the year..they are provided housing and get per diem..but there are some long car trips across their areas for sure..

the NHL guy you are talking about is Jay Sharrars..he wears the glove as well...have seen him at the AAC running the stairs before the game, freakin ripped...but then again..most (minor pro at least) officials are in great shape..and the egos among them pretty large so vanity is needed..

an ECHL linesman may only make 30k or so for the year..they are provided housing and get per diem..but there are some long car trips across their areas for sure..

That's on the high side for a linesman at a low-minor league level. I know a guy who does games in the AHL and it's just a per game fee.

the NHL guy you are talking about is Jay Sharrars..he wears the glove as well...have seen him at the AAC running the stairs before the game, freakin ripped...but then again..most (minor pro at least) officials are in great shape..and the egos among them pretty large so vanity is needed..

Haha the lone brother out there...

Guest superman20

Read Ray Scapinello's book "Between the Lines". Great insight into the life of an NHL ref/linesman.

so I heard...I think I will be buying that book...a friend of mine read it and he said it was pretty good...

If I remember correctly, the linesman didn't travel much. We had the same line crew for 90% of the games back in Pcola... maybe more. The refs on the other hand, they were different for each game. It was usually 1 of 3-4 guys though.

If I remember correctly, the linesman didn't travel much. We had the same line crew for 90% of the games back in Pcola... maybe more. The refs on the other hand, they were different for each game. It was usually 1 of 3-4 guys though.

That's the way it is in the "A". I've done beer league games with a guy who lines locally for the AHL.