Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BluXington

HockeyMonkey.com

I ordered a closeout stick from them a few months ago. I think shipping + oversize shipping + handling was a bit much, but it was packaged well and arrived on time.

When I got back into playing hockey, I ordered all my gear from head to toe from them. This was maybe 5 years ago or so. I waited and waited and waited, till finally I called them to ask whassup. They said they had it all boxed, but never actually shipped it. They finally did ship it, but what if I never called? Idiots.

Never ordering from them again but I do like browsing their site to check out stuff, then order elsewhere.

I recently purchased (3) pairs of skates from Hockeymonkey over the past 7 weeks (3 different orders) -- part of this was because I've been going around to different shops (yes I usually try to buy something at the LHS also -- and I did buy a 4th pair of skates Nike Bauer Supreme One90's at a LHS - that was actually the 3rd pair out of 4 total) --> (seeking the best comfort fit for me...and the best way is to skate with them on the ice...although maybe a longer break in period would be better....)

- but anyhow the only thing that bothered me was that if you take the ground shipping option (it was free) there some indeterminate time (2-4 days) before the item even leaves the warehouse -- i do know that it is possible to have a different system since other mail order/internet order companies can still have an item leave the warehouse within 24 hrs of placing an order or have it leave the same day if the order is placed before 2pm or whatever.... oh well..

hockeymonkey does offer express service where the itme is guaranteed to leave in a day or so... but i think that 2 day air was about $35 extra so... otherwise the products I received were new in the proper box, etc., once the item shipped i received a tracking number in my email, etc.

my three recent orders at least make it seem that hockeymonkey is honest and trustworthy...

**just note that clearance priced items are not returnable - a friend of mine didn't realize this when he ordered some gloves recently....

I have dealth with hockeymonkey on 2 occasions

1. When I lived in Socal, I went to their store in OC (called HawkHockey) and purchased Eastons ice skates. The person helping me was the most informative guy Ive ever met and was extremely nice. I tried on at least 5 different pairs of skates before he recommended the Eastons for my wide feet. He was even kind enough to knock off another 15% of the already clearanced price (he was the short asian guy with a goat tee)

2. I ordered all my hockey equipment from them in 1 order (helmet, helmet bag, shins, elbows, shoulders, gloves, jerseys, socks, jock, pants and free hockey bag) and it arrived within 5 days, no problems and everything was in the box. Great prices too!

I have no issue with them since I haven't ordered from them. I would rather order with a retailer that I've used before over one that I haven't. I should have made that clear, sorry.

My favorites are EWH and epuck, although EWH is my favorite.

hockey.lax is pretty good too, although I'm kind of suspicious that they might be selling a lot of retail "seconds." I believe I was the first to question them and a few others have also questioned them recently. My 692 showed up with a couple scuffs and my v120c had a lot of grip already peeling and it broke pretty quick and on a FREAKING backhand!

Skinteresting...now that I think about it, my NBH 4500 helmet I ordered from HockeyLax had some weird scuffs on it. Not a huge deal to me, since it's a helmet and will get scuffed up anyway, but now I can see how they would be a "seconds" eTailer. Still, I like their site and prices, but that explains why they have random selections.

It's never been confirmed so I don't want people thinking it's fact when we don't know for sure.

And Doctorhook and I don't like ocean hockey either. haha. Didn't have an item and didn't notify either of us, not something I'm particularly happy with.

Ocean has done something similar to me twice...once in the past month...the other time was about 15 or so years ago. I placed an order....after a couple of weeks of not receiving anything I was informed that the item was not in stock...that it was on backorder. The proper way, as in the best way to keep customers happy in such a situation is to inform them, by phone, email, letter, wire, etc. By informing the customer, you give them the choice on whether or not they wish to continue waiting. Both times I decided not to wait mainly because they did not ask me in advance. However, in other mail order/internet order experiences (including non-hockey items) I have been willing to wait depending on the item, and how fast I needed it, when I was given the choice.....

Regarding helmets, I can say that they get abused more in retail then almost anything else appearance wise, our helmet section at HG would get trashed in minutes..people just tearing them out of boxes...putting Large's on a 7 year old to double check..then wanting one that was in a brand new box and without said scuffs for checkout..

other items potentially seconds..but most helmets will get beat up on the sales floor or in a warehouse

Regarding helmets, I can say that they get abused more in retail then almost anything else appearance wise, our helmet section at HG would get trashed in minutes..people just tearing them out of boxes...putting Large's on a 7 year old to double check..then wanting one that was in a brand new box and without said scuffs for checkout..

other items potentially seconds..but most helmets will get beat up on the sales floor or in a warehouse

Exactly right. NBH got smart and put the cling wrappers on the helmet...

Thanks for all the input guys, it is nice to have a place to talk about hockey equipment/retailers.

None of my friends are really that into gear, i swear one guy I know is using shin pads from 30 years ago, they are a thin piece of plastic with some sheep skin as padding underneath the plastic :rolleyes: .

I guess it will simply come down to either sucking it up and ordering the items or going somewhere I have dealt with before and paying more <_< .

I guess it will simply come down to either sucking it up and ordering the items or going somewhere I have dealt with before and paying more <_< .

and remember you *need* to go local and spend the extra money ocassionally so that way they stay in business!!! If you dont, you wont have an option but to buy everything sight unseen in the future.....(I am a touchy feely guy and like to do that before I buy <not including stick flexing> :rolleyes: :D )

I've ordered from several online stores including HockeyMonkey (closest LHS is 3hrs away) a couple of times. In my experience, when I have ordered from California, the service was shoty and it took for ever for them to ship my items (sat on the loading dock for a week once). Ice Warehouse was better but still there were problems. So far my best experience has been with Total Hockey (shipped same day and arrive via UPS ground two days later) and ePuck. I try to avoid HockeyMonkey but there selection is pretty good so I just make sure I call on my order if i don't see any progress by the second day (they usually have a diclaimer saying ships in 1-2 bus. days).

I've ordered from several online stores including HockeyMonkey (closest LHS is 3hrs away) a couple of times. In my experience, when I have ordered from California, the service was shoty and it took for ever for them to ship my items (sat on the loading dock for a week once). Ice Warehouse was better but still there were problems. So far my best experience has been with Total Hockey (shipped same day and arrive via UPS ground two days later) and ePuck. I try to avoid HockeyMonkey but there selection is pretty good so I just make sure I call on my order if i don't see any progress by the second day (they usually have a diclaimer saying ships in 1-2 bus. days).

When I order from online stores like IceWearhouse that are based in CA I get my items shipped to a gas station/Post office not 10 minutes from my side of the border here in Canada, so it makes things like paying for taxes/duty a hell of allot easier and makes the process go allot faster as then I am simply getting items shipped 1 state away.

There are enough suckers in my town who pay full price for items bheidepr to keep the stores going just fine, like whop pays 330$ Canadian for a CNT Stealth :rolleyes: .

People in Vancouver have been using Point Roberts for ages for US orders. They check quite aggressively now though so anyone in the area may want to switch to using Blaine.

People in Vancouver have been using Point Roberts for ages for US orders. They check quite aggressively now though so anyone in the area may want to switch to using Blaine.

Using it as in smuggling things across without paying Taxes/Duty? :huh: .

As I simply follow the Laws and pay my dues :angry: .

*after searching HockeyMonkey for the first time in a few weeks* RM19 shafts...? Pray-tell, might they be tapered?

*Edit* - I see they're sold both standard and tapered. I have a bad feeling the shafts on the site are standard... <_<

I know, it's a litte offtopic, but did anyone of you order stuff, that was shipped to Germany. Are there any taxes or something wild coming at me in front of my door?

No problems at all ordering from hockeymonkey. However, they are true to their word on shipping times. They take two - three days to process your order, and ship slowest UPS rate. Even when I lived in CA, it seemed like forever to get my order from them. But I've had no problems at all with what I ordered. Unless you're really in a hurry, they are great...