Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any mountain bikers on this board?

Schwinn took a shit kicking after that new company bought them off, they started dealing with canadian tire and that just shot the sales down even more, and it lost a lot of respect for the company.

I think I saw a Fuji hybird that might fit the bill....I think Fuji bikes are a good value and might wanna check them out.

I have a high end Fuji free ride bike. Very nice. But, I can attest to the quality. Even the lower end models are nice rides. Very good company to deal with too. Nice warranty on them.

Ok Allsmoke in the bike world generally you get what you pay for. Problem is not going to be the frame so much as the components. As a big guy your going to tear up what comes stock on a $300 bike pretty fast. For example the wheels on a $300 bike will be machined with the cheapest hub and spokes possible. You might go through a spoke every other ride off trail, hub give or take 3-5 months if your lucky. Around our lovely overpriced area your looking at $35 a spoke maybe up to $100 for hub. Its not the parts man, its the labor. So its more cost effective to buy a good set of wheels from the get go. So look for a bike that gives you the best bang for the buck with components. Stuff you will break or wear out: Cranks, Tires, free hubs....so the beefie the better

Some bikes to look into

Kona Hoss(my 1st bike years ago) highly recommended clyde bike

For our Canadian friends Norco Sasquatch

Covee Stiffee

I don't care for Performance except for odds and ends. I have never been impressed with the sales staff even less then impressed with the wrenches, and man its all about who wrenches your bike in the end. If you want to keep costs down like I have been telling you look for REI to have one of their big sales like 20% off or the sale that ends in 0.83. Usually happens several times a year. Good thing about REI is that they have a zero hassel return policy. Someone returned a 5 year old Cannondale right next to me, claimed it did not fit but was 100% ran up and down some trails, yet they had to take it back and refund the dude cause he was a member.

IMHO there are some great shops in our area; I race for Germantown Cycles(plug) and Brian, Phil, Adam and CO are great guys with some nice rides in the store. Other places to check out are Pedal Shop in Ashburn, Mike is a great guy, a clyde(which you and I are) and is a Kona dealer who knows that line in and out. Some people I ride with use the Bike Lane and love it. Finally College Bikes in College Park Bike in College Park near UMD are some really laid back folks also deal Kona

I Mountain Bike, but I am in B.C. so what do you expect :P .

Frame: Banshee Scream ( 5'th Element Shock, TI Spring )

Fork: Boxxer ( Its almost dead though, So ill probably throw my old 01 Monster T till I buy probably a 66 )

Wheels: Double Track Rims, cant remember Hubs, Maxxis tires.

Stem/Bars: Truvatize Holzfellers ( 04 model I think, still running strong, best 200$ investment ever ).

Brakes: Hayes Mags.

Drivetrain: Running a 32t chain ring with a Sram rear Derailleur ( need to pick up a chain guide ) .

Thats the main components.

Old Bike was a 03 Giant DH Comp, didn't like the feel of the bike anymore though So I decided to buy this one and just sell off the parts I don't want from the old one.

Thats a nice set up you got kicking there, my friends mag blew out, the hose was popping out of the lever, and when we finally fixed it his seals were shot in the caliper and the brake was leaking everywhere, so he bought himself the Hayes nine, nice brake, kinda of a choppy system thow.

OK, after trying a couple of craigslist ads, and not getting anywhere, we went bike shopping this weekend.

We first tried REI, I test rode the Novara Aspen, they only had the 17", and it felt OK, but a little compressed.

Then we went to Spokes Etc, and tried the Specialized Hard Rock. I didn't like it at all, but my wife did, so she got the 08 Specialized Hard Rock from them.

Then we hit Revolution Cycles, and I tried the Trek 4300. It felt good, sizewise, 19.5 inch frame. I took it.

Here are the specs...

Frame Alpha SL Aluminum

Front Suspension RST Gila T7 w/preload, 80mm

Shifters Shimano EF50, 8 speed

Front Derailleur Shimano C050

Rear Derailleur Shimano Alivio

Crank SR XCC-T102 42/34/24

Cassette SRAM PG830 11-32, 8 speed

Handlebars Bontrager Crowbar Sport, 25mm rise

Stem Bontrager Sport, 25 degree

Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed

Brakeset Tektro V w/Shimano EF50 levers

The frame can take Disc brakes should I want to upgrade in the future, but for now, it felt good for the price ($420), comes with a year tune ups and service, and a 1 year warranty against defects.

We will be doing light trails, no big jumps or anything, round Burke Lake, Accotink etc, and road riding.

Hopefully, as I get into it, I can either upgrade, or start again when I know more in the future, but for now, this is good for what ails me.

Thanks for the help folks, particularly to Saba, who sent me some great info also,

Cheers

No doubt enjoy. Add Schaffer Farms and Rosaryville to your list of trails to get aquainted to the great sport of mountain biking.

I Mountain Bike, but I am in B.C. so what do you expect :P .

Frame: Banshee Scream ( 5'th Element Shock, TI Spring )

Fork: Boxxer ( Its almost dead though, So ill probably throw my old 01 Monster T till I buy probably a 66 )

Wheels: Double Track Rims, cant remember Hubs, Maxxis tires.

Stem/Bars: Truvatize Holzfellers ( 04 model I think, still running strong, best 200$ investment ever ).

Brakes: Hayes Mags.

Drivetrain: Running a 32t chain ring with a Sram rear Derailleur ( need to pick up a chain guide ) .

Thats the main components.

Old Bike was a 03 Giant DH Comp, didn't like the feel of the bike anymore though So I decided to buy this one and just sell off the parts I don't want from the old one.

Heading up to Whistler anytime soon?

I'm heading up this weekend as Decline Magazine has a get together of some sort. Last weekend's Red Bull Elevation was kickin, like a toned down Crankworx

^^^ I want to go single speed.

Single speed is AWESOME! I am absolutely hooked. Some day I will shell out for a dedicated single speed from the fram up, for now I have my converted Ibis. Has anyone got any expereince with 29" wheels for off roading? That looks like an interesting way to go, and as long as I am buying a hole new bike I may take the plunge and go 29.

The bike itself will ride like a normal bike with 29" wheels, but its seems to climb better and roll over rocks and debris in the trail. Other then that bigger wheels, no difference from what I've heard and read.

That is pretty much what I have heard as well. I have read arguments from both sides of the aisle. Time will tell I suppose.

I dont really get what else they do besides being big. I know its an advantage for tall people but thats pretty much it.

I have never tired them, so I can only repeat approximately what I have heard and read. But imagine roller skating down the street on little 59mm wheels. You will feel every crack, bump, dip and twig. Not to mention the fact that you will be going pretty slow. Now put on big huge 100mm donuts. Your ride will be smoother, faster, and you certainly won't have as much chance for a face plant.

I am not a big time inline street skater, but this analogy is pretty close to what I understand the point of the big bike tires to be. You hit tree roots and rocks and washouts and you can roll right over obstacles that would perhaps hang up up on the "small" 26" inch wheels. (Like you mentioned before).

There are other arguments regarding momentum and whatnot that I am unsure about. Although for single speeders momentum is a huge factor. So maybe 29" wheels are more of an advantage to SS'ers than "gear weenies".

I still trail ride, so I'm keeping the 8 spd set up.

Although I do think I'll end up with some new forks. After I buy a few more things( new hockey gloves, sticks, skates) so it could be a while. :P

looking to get into some trail riding. what bike would you go with? any help would be great.

Blue/yellow GT Kaurakaram, lightweight/ high quality triple triangle tough frame 19" size, Shimano Deore LX and XT components with rapid fire, Great articulated V-brakes,"KORE" stem, straight spoke front wheel,"Rock Shocks" this is a quality mountain bike in fine shape!$295.

GT

Richter 8.0

Mens Mountain Bike

19" Frame

New Judy Rock Shocks on Front

New Bontanger Race Handle Bars

Shimano Deore XT Derailers front & Rear. $145.

My experience in mountain biking is, you pay for what you get. I ride the sh*t out of my Norco 416. I had went threw about 4 cheaper bikes threw out the years and since i have built up this bike it has been going strong for 2 years now. The total build price was around 4G, and i'm glade that I went that way. For trail bikes I would go nothing but a Gary Fischer. Absoulute sick bikes for trail riding.

My current Rides:

Cross Country Bike

Frame: Turner Stinger

Fork: Fox F100RLC

Wheels: I built them up: King Disco Hubs, Revolution Spokes, Mavic ceramics

Tires: Continental Explorer Pro

Drivetrain: Full XTR w/ Rapid Rise 9spd

Brakes: Avid Ultimates 6"

Pedals: Time ATAC's

Saddle: Selle Italia Prolink Carbon

Assorted Easton cockpit carbon goodies

Gravity/Drop-In Sled

Frame: Turner RFX w/ 6" rocker

Fork: Marzocchi Shiver direct connect stem and 6.5" travel kit 67 deg head

Drivetrain: SRAM X0 w/ single 30t front w/ ARP roller guide

Wheels: don't honestly remember but with IRC Cujo's

Brakes: Hope C2's

Trials/UA bike

Frame: Klein Fervor

Fork: Marzocchi Atom Bomb w/ 2" kit

Crank: Hussflets w/ 30t

Brakes: Hayes DFX if I remember correctly

Derailleur: Dura Ace w/ 12/15 cassette

Wheels: XTR Hubs 14ga 3x spokes on Mavic DH rims

Tires: IRC Cujo's

Pedals: Platforms

Road Bike

Orbea Orca w/ full Dura-Ace and Ksyrium's. Bontrager carbon bar, stem and post. Fizik Aliante' saddle.

Hey all,

I just found out I tore my ACL again and am going under the knife in a wk and a half. With physical therapy last time they put me on a bike for a good half of the rehabbing. I just bought a road bike a few months back for triathlons/racing and that's obviously out of the picture so I'd like to use it for rehabbing this time around but I'm not sure what kind of trainer to use. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what kind of trainer to buy?

Hey all,

I just found out I tore my ACL again and am going under the knife in a wk and a half. With physical therapy last time they put me on a bike for a good half of the rehabbing. I just bought a road bike a few months back for triathlons/racing and that's obviously out of the picture so I'd like to use it for rehabbing this time around but I'm not sure what kind of trainer to use. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what kind of trainer to buy?

My personal fave is my Kreitler mini rollers. Great for smoothing out your cadence and your balance. However, in your situation a stationary trainer would be better. You can't go wrong with a Kurt Kinetics fluid trainer. Probably the best made trainer out there.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Trainer/product_47319.shtml