Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

How do I pick the right lie?

A lie value of 5 corresponds to a 135° angle, and each additional 0.5 increase lie value corresponds to a 1.25° smaller angle. Typical lie values range from 4 to 7 with most stock sticks near 5.5. Players usually seek a lie that will put their blade flat on the ice while they are in their typical skating stance. With the bottom of the blade flat on the ice, a higher lie value causes the shaft to stand up straighter.

Your hockey stance sets the height that you typically hold the stick at and that in turn affects the angle that the stick has in relation to the surface of the ice.

One way to understand how this works is to hold your hockey stick straight out in front of you in your top hand. While standing straight up, note how much of the blade is flat on the ground (mostly toe). Now squat into a deep knee bend and again note how much of the blade is flat on the ice (all heel).

The length of your hockey stick will also have an impact on finding the correct lie.

If you start out with a stick that has the correct lie and then cut 4 inches off of it, it will bring the blade closer to you and your blade will be mostly on the toe. In this case your lie to too.

If you start out with a stick that has the correct lie and then add inches t it with a extension plug, it will push the blade father from you and your blade will be mostly on the heel. In this case your lie to high. A lower lie is best for skaters who lean forward closer to the ice or use a longer stick. Higher lies keep the puck closer to the body and are preferred by more upright skaters or skaters with shorter sticks.

Look at the tape on the bottom of the blade of one of your well used sticks.

If most of the wear is on the heel, choose a lower lie.

If most of the wear is in the toe of the stick, you should choose a higher lie.

If the tape is evenly worn across the bottom of the blade then you have a good lie for you.

Just to build on what liv said, a gain of 0.5 lie represents 1.25 degrees, not 2. But beyond that, he gave a very good run down.

LivHockey84,

I wanted to say thanks for the post regarding picking the right lie :) It's great to hear you state that the length of a hockey stick shaft can affect the lie of the blade; I have friends that have said that the length of the shaft would never affect the lie of the blade. I always figured that it did; it's exactly like golf clubs, if you shorten or lengthen a shaft, you will change how the club sits at address and therefore the lie will be affected. Once again, thanks for the post and thanks for the valuable information.

Aloha,

SouthpawTRK

It doesn't change the lie of the blade, that's a static angle between the shaft and the blade. Changing the length of the stick may change the lie that you need. There are three factors that all work together to get it all right.

1. Hand position

2. Stick Length

3. Lie

If you change one, you may well have to change at least one of the other two. For example; If you go from a 5 to 5.5 lie, you will need to either make the stick shorter or carry your hands higher in order to have the blade flat on the ice.

Yeah, i prefer 5.5 lies and depending if im in full stride or stickhandling i may be on the heel or on the center of the blade. And yes Spaw, it is just like a golf club.

It doesn't change the lie of the blade, that's a static angle between the shaft and the blade. Changing the length of the stick may change the lie that you need. There are three factors that all work together to get it all right.

1. Hand position

2. Stick Length

3. Lie

If you change one, you may well have to change at least one of the other two. For example; If you go from a 5 to 5.5 lie, you will need to either make the stick shorter or carry your hands higher in order to have the blade flat on the ice.

Chadd,

Thank you very much for breaking down the major factors when making a decision on picking the right lie :)

Aloha,

SouthpawTRK

sorry I just confused the heck out of myself.

if i'm using a lie 5 and getting more heel wear than I want. do I go to a lie 6 or lie 4?

Warrior has sticks that have a lie of 4. I use a Kovalchuk. Warrior was the only company I found that currently has sticks with a lie of 4. There could be others, of course.

Warrior has sticks that have a lie of 4. I use a Kovalchuk. Warrior was the only company I found that currently has sticks with a lie of 4. There could be others, of course.

Most warrior 4 lie sticks are actually a 5 or more. They measure their sticks differently.

thanks. now that i switched shafts but kept them the same length. i'm getting more wear right in the center if not more towards the toe. i went from a 100 flex to a 75. so i may be dragging the toe along a bit more now trying to load up the shaft. i'll have to try it out a few more times.

thanks for the help

Most warrior 4 lie sticks are actually a 5 or more. They measure their sticks differently.

Yes becareful with the warriors ive had lie 4 sticks line up higher than eastons sakic curve which is 5.5 , best thing to do is check the warrior lie 4 against an easton zetterberg which is a 5 and verify in the store that way.

hey guys, i've been using a lie 5 warrior kovalev curve for years now, i'm sick of it and I wanna switch. The problem is in warriors new lineup there are only like 2 lie 5's kovalev and i believe the other is kopitar which I do not like. I like the burrows curve but it only comes in a lie 4. Is this gonna be a big problem? I skate mostly up right not bent over, i also like a long stick. I just checked out the wear on the bottome of my current kov blade and it's heel to the middle. Any advice?

Based on your tape wear, it seems you've got the stick blade a bit far from you, for the lie and length you're using. A bit lower lie, or a bit shorter stick, would seem to be indicated. Your preference for a longer stick would seem to steer you to a lower lie. Sounds like the Burrows might be worth a try, but I don't know these patterns well enough to say if the rocker's different enough to affect your choice.

I don't think it will be a big problem, and you can always adjust length a bit to make it fit your use, if you need to.

besides cutting or adding length to the stick, have you guys shaved or applied epoxy in order to change the lie?

besides cutting or adding length to the stick, have you guys shaved or applied epoxy in order to change the lie?

Don't think I'd recommend that. Instead, perhaps work on where your stick is relative to your body when carrying the puck. E.g. are you forcing it too far out from your body?

I used to shave the heal of my wooden blades and rewrap them in fiberglass, but on a composite blade that isn't an option. the actual composite is very thin and once you shave through that, there isn't a good way to repair it.

Hi

I'm new to mod-squad and have a stick lie related question <I hope this is the right place to post this>. Was wondering if someone could tell me how to precisely measure stick lie or true lie <step by step - what tools I'd need....protractor...where (at what points of the blade) and how to measure...etc??>

Anyway....the reason that I want to do this is - for a number of years I've been using an older/obscure pro-stock blade pattern <CCM Freddie Myers of the Philadelphia Flyers>. I had about 15 of these blades that have lasted me over 8 years. Just recently I broke my last one and I cant seem to find anything in stores to replace it <I think the blade has an uncommon set of specs>. I'd like to try to match it up as best as possible by looking for something online <online has a much wider selection>.

I cant seem to adjust to the more common blade patterns that are found in most shops. I don't think this has anything to do with blade curve - but more to do with lie - length and rocker. Once I find out the blades exact lie I should be able to come pretty close to matching it up with a suitable replacement.

<Link to picture of blade is below....I tried to attach it the normal way using the forum image tool but it wont work>

https://i.imgsafe.org/a73f407.jpg

Thanks

(How do I precisely measure stick lie or true lie?)

Lie is a tricky thing to measure since different companies measure it with different methods. Your best best is to bring one of those blades you like to the store and match it up against sticks until you find something close to a match.