Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2008 Washington Capitals thread

A general rule of thumb that NHL/NBA arenas have poor ice?

The higher the number of events, the lower the quality of ice is a good rule of thumb.

The higher the number of events, the lower the quality of ice is a good rule of thumb.

I win the "Duh" award for that.

And the caps fall way down the pecking order.

Wizards, Hoyas both play basketball there, and both are more popular than the caps in this town. Also, horse show, circus, concerts.

Ice sucks, boards suck (remember the rangers complaining about the gaps in the runners last year, it was not unfounded).

Until Leonsis can get full control of the Verizon center, caps will be playing on sucky ice

And the caps fall way down the pecking order.

Wizards, Hoyas both play basketball there, and both are more popular than the caps in this town. Also, horse show, circus, concerts.

Ice sucks, boards suck (remember the rangers complaining about the gaps in the runners last year, it was not unfounded).

Until Leonsis can get full control of the Verizon center, caps will be playing on sucky ice

The B's have had full control of their building for ages and they still play on bad ice. It is all a matter of how greedy the owner is.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

Jame Pollock Quits Bears

Hershey Bears defenseman Jame Pollock has left the team and signed with CSKA Moscow of the Russian Super League.

The Bears/Capitals immediately suspended him without pay, but that's probably all the organization will be able to do because Russia isn't covered by the IIHF's transfer agreement.

Pollock's motivation for leaving mid-season was probably money. One of the last players cut from the Capitals in training camp, he would have made $600,000 in Washington. But he was likely earning less than $100,000 in the AHL. I'm guessing he'll get two or three times that (and perhaps more) in the RSL.

In other caps news, they have called up Joe Motzko as an injury replacement for tonight in crime free Newark, for the Devils game

Jame Pollock Quits Bears

Hershey Bears defenseman Jame Pollock has left the team and signed with CSKA Moscow of the Russian Super League.

The Bears/Capitals immediately suspended him without pay, but that's probably all the organization will be able to do because Russia isn't covered by the IIHF's transfer agreement.

Pollock's motivation for leaving mid-season was probably money. One of the last players cut from the Capitals in training camp, he would have made $600,000 in Washington. But he was likely earning less than $100,000 in the AHL. I'm guessing he'll get two or three times that (and perhaps more) in the RSL.

In other caps news, they have called up Joe Motzko as an injury replacement for tonight in crime free Newark, for the Devils game

I though we had learned our lesson from the last time Motzko was with the big club.... hopefully BB doens't pull a Hanlon and give him more PP time than OV

Well, it looks like BB is going with the Comrade line that Hugs seemed so inclined not to.

Tonights top line

Ovechkin-Kozlov-Semin

And the rest of the lineup...

Fleischmann-Backstrom-Motzko

Laing-Steckel-Pettinger

Brashear-Laich-Bradley

The 'D' parings

Poti-Jurcina

Morrisonn-Green

Pothier-Schultz

Caps switching away from the ridiculous Edge jerseys

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...rticleid=346406

Given the choice to return to using the same fabric that was used in hockey sweaters prior to this season rather than the ultra-hyped “uniform systems” that were introduced league-wide prior to this season, every single member of the Caps went with last year’s fabric. Wednesday night marked the first time the new (old) sweater fabric was made available, and every member of the Caps had the new model sweater with the old fabric hanging in his locker prior to the game.

Apparently Nylander is done for the season with a torn rotator cuff. I have not got a link or anything yet, just whispers, but if it's true then it sucks.

His +/- was bad, but he was playing well on the PP of late, and I blame his poor +/- a lot on the linemates he was given. With Semin being injured for so long, he was on a line with Tomas Fleishman, who is looking out of place, and Brashear, who has played great, but will never get mistaken for a goalscorer.

Hope it's not true, but still trying to dig for more info

Apparently Nylander is done for the season with a torn rotator cuff. I have not got a link or anything yet, just whispers, but if it's true then it sucks.

His +/- was bad, but he was playing well on the PP of late, and I blame his poor +/- a lot on the linemates he was given. With Semin being injured for so long, he was on a line with Tomas Fleishman, who is looking out of place, and Brashear, who has played great, but will never get mistaken for a goalscorer.

Hope it's not true, but still trying to dig for more info

I just read the rumors too. I hope its not true cuz his face offs make him a very valuable player. I am wondering if he is done who do the Caps trade for? We are short in the center department, and could use someone. We are playing well and not out of it so it would be silly in my mind not to find a capable 2nd-3rd line center. Maybe grab Halpern back?

Nylander is on the ice at practice today so i guess he is fine.... also Chris Clark is assigned to the second line with Nylander and Semin at practice today, so i guess he will finaly be back in the line-up this weekend.

Nylander is on the ice at practice today so i guess he is fine.... also Chris Clark is assigned to the second line with Nylander and Semin at practice today, so i guess he will finaly be back in the line-up this weekend.

This is from Tariks online chat over at the washington post. Hopefully Nylander gets better

The rumor is that Nylander is going to have a surgery on his shoulder and is out for the season. Is there any ground under it?

Thanks!

Tarik El-Bashir: Nylander practiced today. He's playing through a considerable amount of pain and has trouble sleeping because of the shoulder injury.

It's my understanding that if his rotator cuff gets any worse, surgery may be the only option. But as of right now, he's expected to be in the lineup on Sunday.

Caps have the Flyers coming up, $5 says he won't make it through that game because some nutjob takes a run at him.

Caps have the Flyers coming up, $5 says he won't make it through that game because some nutjob takes a run at him.

And Bobby Clarke will smile.

And happily play a goon squad style even if they win nothing. Sometimes I wonder when this man will leave and put a real hockey mind to that franchise.They have way too much talent to be gooning it up all the time

Nylander out...

Nylander to Have Surgery

I have confirmed that vetreran center Michael Nylander will be having surgery on his left rotator cuff in the coming days and will miss several months.

If you remember, a few days ago I wrote that a source had told me that Nylander's shoulder was worse that the Caps were letting on -- the team said yesterday that he was taking the day off -- and that surgery was a possibility. Well, now it's official.

Nylander was the Caps' second leading scorer with 11 goals and 26 assists. He also was a team-worst minus-19.

GM George McPhee will be speaking to the media soon

So you think the Sens are happy now that they don't have to see the Caps again this season? 0-4 vs the Caps this year and outscored 22-12 in the 4 games.

So you think the Sens are happy now that they don't have to see the Caps again this season? 0-4 vs the Caps this year and outscored 22-12 in the 4 games.

Wonder how they will feel if they clinch the #1 seed, and the caps squeak in at #8!!!!

What about semins first goal, amazing

Wonder how they will feel if they clinch the #1 seed, and the caps squeak in at #8!!!!

What about semins first goal, amazing

Now if the Caps can lock up Mike Green, beauty of a first goal, and hopefully get a decent center in here we could make a push. I wish we didn't give up what 19 games to get coach BB in here.

The East is a bit of a logjam but jumping over 5 teams may be a tall order. I don't think there are a lot of sellers right now of skilled centermen.

The East is a bit of a logjam but jumping over 5 teams may be a tall order. I don't think there are a lot of sellers right now of skilled centermen.

Caps have played 45 games

Canes have played 48

Thrash have played 47

Panthers have played 46

Canes and thrash have 48 points

Panthers have 44

Caps have 43

If the caps win their games in hand, they will be 1 point ahead of the canes and panthers, 1 point behind the thrashers.

They also have 4 games remaining with each of the panthers, canes and thrashers, and 3 with the lightning.

I think they aim for the southeast title, not the 8 seed.

Only 3 teams to leapfrog. If they win against the oilers tomorrow night, they will have leapfrogged the panthers, who they play on saturday (I will be up in my perch in 421)

If they beat the oil and the panthers, they are 3rd in the east, with games in hand, and finally back to breakeven hockey at 21-21-5

I'm just happy to be focusing on what needs doing to get to the playoffs, not what the odds are of winning the lottery this year

EDIT: The caps are also 5-1-1 against the southeast division since Gabby took over behind the bench