Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

G.M.

Hockey Tape

Has anyone come across Comp-o-stik Performance Hockey Tape ?

These guys are the ones who's fathers started renfrew, which was sold in 1995 to the British company Scapa.

I just got some rolls of this stuff and it is very superior to Renfrew, as well as other brands. From the moment the rep put the stuff in my hand, I noticed a difference. I have used renfrew tape exclusively, however, since I got a few rolls of this stuff, all i can say is WOW!

I've personally never felt that Renfrew was decent tape. I really like Andover, and but if I can get my hands on it, I prefer Sportstape to anything.

The sportstape I got from JR is a far superior tape product to anything I've used by Renfrew. I even hated the Renfrew "powerflex" tape that ePuck sold me without my knowledge. Anyone know where I can find sportstape in the LA area? I'd be happy with anything other then the Renfrew I've seen in all the shops and would even love to try the above mentioned tape if it's at all available around here.

I like the jaybird tape better than anything else I have tried. I got a case of tape from them a while ago. Let me tell you that is the only way to go. It came out that I got a roll for like 90 cents a piece.

Speaking of powerflex tape, are there multiple brands of it? I've been using the Andover version and I rip through it within a few weeks.

Kosy - I have the light blue Sportstape gauze. I have some left - inherited it from the Bears. Very tacky stuff. If you want I'll send ya a few rolls.

The sportstape ops stuff jr sent me was the best i've used. For the record, renfrew is awful. Nothing quite like having the whole bottom of your taped job ripped open after one shift. So much for skating with your stick on the ice.

I thought that Sportstape was lacking durability. Jaybird is much better, but the adhesive is weak and doesn't stick well to anything. Add some wax to the end and it keeps it on.

In my own experiences, I have found Renfrew to be better than Andover. In my opinion, I have found that Renfrew holds wax very well, while the wax just kind of "washes out" of the Andover tape that I have used.

However, both times I have tried the Renfrew "Powerflex" grip tape on the butt-end of my sticks, I was extremely disappointed. It didn't offer very much grip, especially once it absorbed all the water/sweat from my gloves. Each time the tape ripped or unraveled almost immediatly. I have yet to find a decent "grip tape", so I just have to keep going with the regular tape.

I can get two ice sessions out of Sportstape while I'm lucky if I can get through one with Renfrew.

Well I only get one session out of Jaybird and less than a half out of Sportstape. Haven't used Renfrew in a long ass time, but I'm sure it's worse than Sportstape.

I haven't looked very carefully around here, but all I see is Renfrew tape, and I'm not a big fan of it these days. It was much better several years ago where the adhesive would be the first to go and the fabric would stay on for some time after. Nowadays, the fabric would disintegrate first and leave only the glue on the bottom of the blade. Renfrew certainly doesn't make tape like they used to.

The Sportstape I got from JR (I guess it's the Sportstape for OPS) appears great at first. Great to tape your blade, no rips or anything. The big issue I have with this tape is that is f***ing won't stick to the blade. As soon as it gets wet on the ice, it just falls off the blade. I hate when the tape wears through at the bottom of the blade and immediately the whole tapejob comes loose.

Overall, I get less than one icetime out of a Sportstape tapejob. The Renfrew I had before was a mess to tape your stick with, because the edges ripped right away, yet the Renfrew was much more sticky.

Wow, I havn't had any problems with the sportstape sticking to my blade at all. I had some JayBird tape that wouldn't stick but not sportstape. My main concern with the renfrew is all the fraying. It drives me crazy since I retape a lot and usually end up with a big lump down one edge. I actually found some Andover yesterday and used it for the first time last night. Much better product to Renfrew, seems it will last at least as long, and is also a whiter white.

j bird tape is awesome. i got a case for like 70 bucks at thje start of last season and its not even half way gone. i usally end up re-taping my stick every other ice time, but im sure if i left it on it would last for about 4 to 5 skates.

I actually find the sportstape adhesive to be excellent. Jaybird is the one you have to grind a puck on or wax to keep the tape on. Renfrew is just garbage. It basically melts off the bottom after two or three shots. I remember Andover being good, but it has been so long since I could buy it.

wow, i don't understand if i'm doing something different or i got some really good tape but i had 2 rolls of renfrew black cloth tape that were amazing. it was very tough, sticky, didn't have the ripping problems i got with other tape and it lasted forever.....i just found these two rolls in my house so would it be because they're older?

edit- has anyone used the bauer tape? if so what are your feelings towards it.. its white tape the little bauers written all over it

Bauer tape is good for shit. It so thin and only lasts like 2 shots. It's only like 50 cents a roll though, so I guess it could work OK for sock tape.