Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockey is life...

TPS R10

So when you buy sa whip, is the bottom 75 mid 90 and top 100? and with a regular or whatever(not sure with TPS flex ratings) it will be a 85 then a 95 then 100 again at the top or how will that work out?

So when you buy sa whip, is the bottom 75 mid 90 and top 100? and with a regular or whatever(not sure with TPS flex ratings) it will be a 85 then a 95 then 100 again at the top or how will that work out?

whip= 65 at the bottom/75 in the middle/90 at the top

Sorry Leafs....but you are exactly opposite:

Whip is 65 top / 75 mid / 90 taper

Regular is 75 top / 90 mid / 100 taper

Stiff is 80 top / 105 mid / 115 taper

wtf

that makes no sense. why would it be stiffer at the taper and flexier at the top and middle?

Because you don't want the bottom flapping around like a flaccid dick when you shoot?

so whats the difference of it being whippier at the top then, and any OPS i've broken is stiffer when i put in the blade upside down then in at the taper

Vapor 40 also uses the "checkerboard" weave for the whole stick.

CCM V10 Catapult (maybe V8/6?) is also using various colors for different curves.

The stick looks nice, but I was never a fan of TPS sticks. My friend has two RL-XN10 shafts. I don't like the feel in my hands, the flat paint just isn't smooth, and it always felt too small. He's a lefty so I never got it on the ice.

Also tried the Intrigue. Besides it being a pile of shit, the shaft was once again just too odd. TPS has the biggest concave on the walls (at least the most noticeable, IMO) and I just can't use their stuff. The Control "grip" is just light enough to not provide grip and just heavy enough to not feel like a smooth stick.

Maybe their new grip is different, but any stick with a "zone" of grip is crap. I'll invariably go off the zone and feel like I've got a different stick in my hands. Is there an option for no grip on these?

I know R10 is now tops, but looking at older stuff I can't figure out WTF I'm looking at and what's a deal. Websites displaying "MSRP: $279- Clearance: $49" Doesn't help much as I think they're just trying to fool you into thinking you're getting a deal (it's how I was suckered on the Intrigue).

wtf

that makes no sense. why would it be stiffer at the taper and flexier at the top and middle?

I believe that the rationale is in reference to various shaft loading on different types of shots. In other words, with a wrist/snap shot you want as fast a release as possible, and less lag in the stick....thus a stiff lower/mid section. Slap shot is more about power and loading of the shaft, and thus when you really lean into the stick the entire shaft will flex like a bow and release more powerfully at the apex of your shot.

The stick looks nice, but I was never a fan of TPS sticks. My friend has two RL-XN10 shafts. I don't like the feel in my hands, the flat paint just isn't smooth, and it always felt too small. He's a lefty so I never got it on the ice.

Maybe their new grip is different, but any stick with a "zone" of grip is crap. I'll invariably go off the zone and feel like I've got a different stick in my hands. Is there an option for no grip on these?

I have to disagree with you on both fronts here. I've owned around 10 TPS Composites, newer and older, and don't much feel the concavity as a problem. And this is coming from someone who has fairly small hands and will complain about his Adrenaline shaft shape <_<

I personally like the idea of the grip zone, but admit it doesn't always work out ideally.

Well I've got big hands. I have trouble finding 15" gloves that are big enough, or regular winter gloves that cover my whole hand.

I'm ditching my 2 AK shafts because they have a slight concavity and it just doesn't feel good in my hands.

I guess one of my bigger gripes about the TPS sticks I've held was the stickers on the shaft. I can feel the edges of the graphics and the stickers are smoother than the rest of the shaft, totally fucked with the feeling of the stick.

I haven't seen any newer sticks though, my LHS doesn't stock TPS anymore but they do have a dozen older sticks that are sitting in the closeout section (and have been for at least 2 years).

The new R10 seems to have both screened graphics and a sticker. The "TPS" at the top of the stick is a sticker with the typical clear coat, while the rest of the graphics that are in the vicinity of where your bottom hand will typically fall on the shaft are screened.

So Spree have you had a chance to use it at all yet?

I have games on both Sunday night and Monday night. Trust me....I'm chomping at the bit to get out on the ice with this thing. I'll post my initial thoughts after each game. B)

The new R10 seems to have both screened graphics and a sticker. The "TPS" at the top of the stick is a sticker with the typical clear coat, while the rest of the graphics that are in the vicinity of where your bottom hand will typically fall on the shaft are screened.

They have no paint. They use some kind of heat transfer graphic, and electroplating. Thats what the local shop guy told me. They say its suppose to save on the weight.....

i have been using a R10 for a couple weeks now. it took me a little bit to get used to the the fact that the stick is different then what i've used for the past 2 years. lie is slightly different, weight is considerably less, and curve is different (tps doesn't have stock on all curves yet) so i was stuck with what's in stock! in the past (4+ years ago) i was not a fan of the feel of tps sticks. i will say that i am more pleased with this product then the past, but still not as much feel as i've had the past 2 years.

my sample is a LH Nash, Stiff flex. the PTC has seemed to be useful in preventing torque and not allowing the blade to open up when really driving hard through a shot. i pick a target, and the shot stays on that line. the blade really doesn't seem to open up at all. that is a very nice feature.

there is the grip zone, which i know some have complained about. lets be honest though.... you don't need grip 12 inches below the knob. the grip starts where your bottom had should be. i have had no issues with my bottom had hitting the area without grip. everybody wants lighter products, by not painting as much, and not putting grip on the entire stick, it lightens the product without removing shaft material. it may be minimal, but many people think that 10 grams makes the world of difference, so here's a way to drop 10 grams.

overall, i'm pretty happy with the stick. not sure i'd pay the suggested retail price though. but thats just me.

Ok....so I was finally able to get my R10 out of my living room and out for some ice time.

Player stats: Mid/upper level beer league currently, 5'10" 190lbs, 24 years of playing experience, 3 years HS varsity, 2 years college club, and I play center.

I have been using just about exclusively TPS sticks for about the past 4 years, and have grown to love the R6, and also the R8. The R10 that I have been offered for a demo is a Whip Flex RH in the Frolov curve. I have been using the Frolov and Tkachuk curves quite often lately, so the only variable is the stick.

Initial impressions: The stick is extremely light weight. I thought that my R8 was light, but the R10 takes it one step further. It also feels a touch blade heavy to me, nothing seriously detrimental, but enough to notice it during game play. I have another game Monday night and I am going to insert a 2" wood end plug in there to try and balance it out for tomorrow. The new blade is quite stiff. It took me a few passes on the tape in warm up to realize just how stiff it is, but once I was used to it it never bothered me again. Being lazy with the hands will cause the puck to jump off of the tape when receiving a solid pass. Shooting....if you had read my initial posts I feared that the stick would be too whippy for me, but it never crossed my mind once I was shooting with it. I won't say that my slap is exponentially harder with the R10, but it certainly didn't loose any pop with the additional flex. I will say that there is a marked improvement in my shot velocity with my wrist shot, and a strong and fast release with my snap. The shaft does seem to load and release quickly on these types of shots, yet I didn't see the detriment to my slap that I was expecting with regards to velocity. However, with the Frolov curve and the additional whip of this shaft I was having to roll my wrists over more than on my other TPS whip flex sticks to keep a hard shot low. The shaft must load more than my R8 and release later causing additional lift of the puck. This is something that I am going to have to concentrate on in tomorrow's game to see if I can remedy this problem. Accuracy left/right is spot on. Despite the flex, and my size and power, I was able to place the puck where I wanted it with my wrist and snaps, it was only slaps that my elevation was an issue. Puck feel was typical with other high end TPS sticks....spot on. The grip zone is also a bit less tacky than last years model, which I feel is a good thing.

So these are my initial thoughts, but not a full comprehensive review. I will keep using the stick to try and gain additional information to post. Feel free to shoot me any questions that you may have on it.

And once again.....thank you to the provider for giving me this opportunity to demo the stick.

Grip Zone less tacky than last years? I felt on my r8shaft there was zero tack in the grip zone....does it have the tactile grip as well or no?

Zach

Grip Zone less tacky than last years? I felt on my r8shaft there was zero tack in the grip zone....does it have the tactile grip as well or no?

Zach

The nipple texture plus the coating. It may be just my stick, but the grip seems tapered. Towards the upper portion of the shaft there are fewer nipples and then it progressively gets more dense further down the shaft.

The nipple texture plus the coating. It may be just my stick, but the grip seems tapered. Towards the upper portion of the shaft there are fewer nipples and then it progressively gets more dense further down the shaft.

that is how it is designed. your stick is correct!

that is how it is designed. your stick is correct!

Excellent, and understandable. Just a stark difference from the on/off feeling of the R6/R8's grip.

Spree, a few questions bud...

1) Are you just going to add a wood plug or cut some more off the stick before adding the plug?

2) How'd balance feel before you cut the stick down?

3) Knowing you cut off like 4" how was the flex effected? Because the stick is whippier up to, I'd imagine that it would effect stick flex more than a stick that has a stiffer top portion.

Spree, a few questions bud...

1) Are you just going to add a wood plug or cut some more off the stick before adding the plug?

2) How'd balance feel before you cut the stick down?

3) Knowing you cut off like 4" how was the flex effected? Because the stick is whippier up to, I'd imagine that it would effect stick flex more than a stick that has a stiffer top portion.

I have wood plugs (non-extension) laying around with a pre-drilled hole to make pulling them easier that I am going to add in there in about 10 minutes for my game tonight. I am going to try a 2" tonight and see how it goes.

Out of the box, uncut or altered...the stick felt good and nicely balanced, if nothing else....then maybe a touch blade light. Once I hacked off a handful of inches to bring it to 55" with my minnimalist grip and then blade tape and wax, game time it felt a touch blade heavy. Hopefully that will be remedied tonight.

I was very pleased with the flex that I got once cutting the stick down. To be honest, I was pretty worried at first with it being as whippy as it is in stock form. Cut down, it is still whippier than either my R8 or R6 whip's at the same length, it is not something that I feel held me back last night. Still a bit scary in your living room, but once I had a puck on my tape it was all but forgotten.