Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Skate Laces...

I'm trying to give my skates a good airing out, so I removed the laces and Febreezed the shit out of them...I'm also replacing the insoles, becasue (to put it bluntly) they were getting gross.

Question is...what is the best way to put them back in....under and through the eyes...or over and through. Which way will let you get the tightest lace up?

I dont' use waxed laces if that affects the answer, and in the past I've gone under and through...just wondering if there is a better way.

Cheers!

can someone please tell me what backlacing is?

Basically, you lace from the outside of the eyelet to the inside. It holds the laces in place a lot more.

can someone please tell me what backlacing is?

Basically, you lace from the outside of the eyelet to the inside. It holds the laces in place a lot more.

That seems opposite of what I pictured (and did)...

I went from underneath the eye and then across the top of the foot and to the next eye from underneath...I wish I had a digital camera, Becasue I think what you're calling backlacing, and what I'm calling backlacing aren't the same...

I suppose the way they feel is all that matters, and this way has been working fine. Like I said I was just inquiring, 'cause this board is full of good ideas/opinions.

It's not...it's the way they were laced when I bought them. I just wondered if there were any tricks...

Is that what you described?

It's not...it's the way they were laced when I bought them. I just wondered if there were any tricks...

Is that what you described?

I find the way I described to prevent them from getting too loose as you play. I know a couple of guys who complained about their skates getting too loose that were surprised at how much of a difference it made. As JR said, it may increase the odds of getting lacebite but I've never had that problem. Combine that method with wax laces and they get, and stay, really tight.

I am considering backlacing the top two eyelets on my S500s. They get loose and I'm constantly adjusting them (due to the fact that my 8090s are too wide)

I tried backlacing at the beginning of this past season and could never get used to it. I think the laces naturally balance themselves out if you lace the skates normally.

I've found wax laces is the way to go to keep my skates good and snug. I like mine laced really tight and I used to tighten my skates 5-6 times a game before I finally made the switch to wax laces. I follow the normal lacing method, tried backlacing years ago and just didn't like it.

I've found wax laces is the way to go to keep my skates good and snug. I like mine laced really tight and I used to tighten my skates 5-6 times a game before I finally made the switch to wax laces. I follow the normal lacing method, tried backlacing years ago and just didn't like it.

I also went to wax laces after I tried backlacing. They do hold a little tighter but still allow enough movement that you don't feel like your feet are on lockdown.

Personally, I don't like backlacing my skates. I find it more difficult to equalize the tension across the laces and my mind has difficulty making the changeover from regular lacing when tightening my laces. So I am invariably loosening and re-tightening my laces as much as if I had laced them normally.

I use regular laces but may switch to waxed laces or backlace the top two eyelets on my S300's because they have been loosening up a bit after a few warmup laps.

I don't like having equal tension on my laces. I want certain spots tight and certain ones loose.

I noticed that some pros (i think lindros) backlace their skates and skip the first 2 eyelets at the bottom of the skates. By this I mean not lace the 1st or second set of eyelets nearest the toe. I thought it was a little odd and tried it a while back...maybe 3 years ago. Anyone have experience with this??

I have all my eyelets laced but I never tighten the laces between the first two or three sets of eyelets. I wouldn't leave them completely unlaced for fear that they my get caught on something and torn.

I noticed that some pros (i think lindros)  backlace their skates and skip the first 2 eyelets at the bottom of the skates.  By this I mean not lace the 1st or second set of eyelets nearest the toe.  I thought it was a little odd and tried it a while back...maybe 3 years ago.  Anyone have experience with this??

i backlace the 1st set...then skip a set...

then lace them the regular way, the rest of the way...

i skip a set b/c i need all of the 120 i can get...

skate.jpg

I've found backlacing with waxed laces (a must IMO) provides the most consistent grip/fit. Maybe it's in my head, but I think it's easier to get a good tight grip in the places you want with backlacing.