Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ahearn10

Custom skates

I think JC would be a compliment...The holy one. :D....hell, he's already got more than enough disciples.

Haha Roach flew from Manila and did a stopover in Detroit to hang out for a day, so can you!

haha... getting there, getting there. Am trying to arrange a trip... hopefully it doesnt get thrown back like the rest of the proposed trips I've tried to get approved. Boss keeps rolling his eyes ever since I did my trip to the US last year (tried to catch up with chikinpotpie, but apparently he had left the LHS to get hammered).

Yea, and PM-ed him the day before as well!

In the end, I did still get a couple of items from the shop... the guys there told me he wasnt around, and cited 'most probable cause' as alcohol fueled absence.

eric42434224 Posted Yesterday, 08:55 PM

QUOTE (epstud74 @ Jul 1 2008, 06:01 PM)

2.5 hrs is nothing..how much time have you already spent on different skates? I drive 2.5 hrs each weekend to the farm to relax

Point taken. I will wait and try on the Vector08 and the RBK when they come in. The captain of my league team works in the LHS, and he said they will be in soon. Unless I am really impressed with how those skates fit me, I will be driving to Orlando very soon to be fitted by JC. I am curious to know what skate he will recommend.

Just try not to call him JC when you get there ;). I think he prefers JR.

LOL. Didnt even see that! Apologies! :)

great thread. just finished front to back. makes me think i should not be in 704s. they're old so its no big deal moneywise but i dont remember getting a precise fitting to help decide which skate to get. i liked the 704 look and it felt good so all we did was measure.

Has anyone had any personal experience with any LHS in either Eastern Mass or Southern NH? I'm looking to get fitted for either XXXX or One95 skates.

Bump to this thread....

I'm going to my LHS to be fit for custom One95's. I spoke with the shop manager and he seemed to know his stuff, but he suggested that we order a stock boot size and customize those for the options I want. However, this comment worries me. If I am paying for custom skates, I want the trace and the skate last built for my foot.

Seems to me that I should demand the custom trace and not accept stock size boots.

Opinions? Advice?

I agree.

Thanks. I'd love to have you fit them, but it's around $400 to fly to Orlando from DC. In another thread, you said that you hoped not to be on Orlando, have you decided on a destination?

Ha, was in DC last weekend...

Could've done a roadside fitting.

Well, actually, may have something in the works in that area. We'll see.

CRAP! LOL

We'd LOVE to have you here. I can hold off on ordering if you think you'll be around here!

Haha Roach flew from Manila and did a stopover in Detroit to hang out for a day, so can you!

haha... getting there, getting there. Am trying to arrange a trip... hopefully it doesnt get thrown back like the rest of the proposed trips I've tried to get approved. Boss keeps rolling his eyes ever since I did my trip to the US last year (tried to catch up with chikinpotpie, but apparently he had left the LHS to get hammered).

Can you believe it? Conference in March in Orlando Florida... fantastic stuff. Boss has already given the green light, so its a GO.

Bump to this thread....

I'm going to my LHS to be fit for custom One95's. I spoke with the shop manager and he seemed to know his stuff, but he suggested that we order a stock boot size and customize those for the options I want. However, this comment worries me. If I am paying for custom skates, I want the trace and the skate last built for my foot.

Seems to me that I should demand the custom trace and not accept stock size boots.

Opinions? Advice?

Update to this. I went in on Saturday and we got a baseline fit using the stock sizes. Looks like I'd be close to a 6.0 on the left and a 5.5 on the right.

I told him that this was fine for a baseline and that I wanted the trace as well as measurements for volume, tox box, and heel. The weird thing was that he only had a basic custom form for Bauer... It was less than a page and didn't have any space for measurements or traces. He said he'd have to ask Bauer for a more detailed form.

Is this weird? I know my LHS builds custom skates for figure skaters all the time, so they should know what they are doing. When I spoke about wanting a real custom skate, he often mentioned that Bauer takes the trace and just throws it on their sizing derrick to get the fit. But, IMO, the process is about more than just length!

I guess I'll wait to hear back from him.

Also, can anyone tell me what size runners would fit on a 5.5 One95? Would the 263mm fit?

Thanks!

There isn't a "detailed" form.

The form includes the shop and the customer info, size, blade and outsole and a "comments" section where you add everything else.

263 will fit, make sure he specifies you want 263.

The form includes the shop and the customer info, size, blade and outsole and a "comments" section where you add everything else.

Thanks, can I assume you won't be coming to DC anytime soon?

Even if you're back in MI, Detroit area is very cheap for me to fly into!

I read that some have said the reason for a custom skate is when any retail skate doesn't fit.

There are other reasons for a custom boot. The last of a skate might be great for your foot, but there are other characteristics of personal preference that come into play. That was my experience. I fit into the last of a Vapor XXXX like a glove, but I do not like the tongue, or the stiffness of the retail boot. I have had a retail pair for a year and a half, and started to notice the difference in the ankle losing its stiffness.

I have gone the custom route, and I will never go back...the material and the quality of a custom skate doesn't compare to retail. I even paid the same as the retail price...just had to wait about 12 weeks due to the start of the season. Best decision I ever made, and my feet now love me for it.

Thanks, can I assume you won't be coming to DC anytime soon?

Even if you're back in MI, Detroit area is very cheap for me to fly into!

If you want a cheap flight from the DC area to Florida, check Spirit. They have some ridiculous rates if you book in advance.

Darn right and worth every penny and second spent!

I have to do that again soon! JR, Jager bombs on me again! :lol:

This is the response I got from my dealer.

I don't get it. This doesn't sound like custom skate to me. Thoughts?

"John,

I spoke directly with someone at Bauer. They told me that the only way they do custom skates now is with the order form that I had already printed out. I asked them about tracings and foot measurements and they told me that they have gone away from that (they don’t use them even if we sent them in). They will take the sizing from the order form, and use the appropriate last for it. The 95 size 5.5D should be here in a few days. I will let you know when it arrives. "

Thanks,

Hi ****,

Thanks for taking the time to measure me on Saturday.

A few more thoughts that I have after a few days:

1. I've been told that a 263mm holder and runner would fit on a 5.5 boot. This is good, because it sounds like I won't have to adjust to a shorter runner.

2. I plan to order the skates with Custom + holders instead of the Lightspeed (or whatever comes stock) holders. After they arrive, I'll have the Custom +'s removed and replaced with the Mission Pitch 3 holders, which I find to be superior holders and steel. The Custom + rivet pattern is exactly the same as the Mission Pitch 3 holder.

3. In terms of length, as we discussed, I think we are very close so we are pretty good there. The more I thought about it though, the more I think the measurements you spoke about for heel, volume, toe box, etc are critical and will allow me to get the most out of a custom skate. I think an ideal situation would be to go with a stock length, but give Bauer measurements for the other key areas. In the event that a 5.5 seems too small, we can ask them for 5.75, etc.

Please let me know if any of this seems weird or doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

John