Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

Severe headaches after hockey.....

For as far as I can remember, I have gotten really bad headaches after playing. It doesn't matter if it's been ice or roller - about 30 minutes after a game I can always feel a headache creeping up from the back bottom of my neck, and eventually it settles in at the top of my head and creeps down into my eyebrow areas (usually on one side). The pain is so bad that it "throbs" and I pretty much have to go to sleep.

A couple years ago I took one excedrin because I was out of Advil (which didn't do too much to fight it anyway) and amazingly, the excedrin worked to get rid of about 90% of the headache. The only problem was that the caffeine in the excedrin keeps me awake but it's better than feeling like I'm having a brain aneurysm.

When I was 6 I was diagnosed with migraine headaches (my Mom gets them really bad) but I only seem to get them after playing. I'm thinking it's all coming from my neck but I don't know for sure. I've had a brain MRI, seen a neurologlist, had him put me on different types of medicine to stop the headaches before they happen but nothing has worked thus far. Excedrin is my wonder drug for now!

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? Or am I the only poor bastard who has this problem?

Hasn't happened to me. Have you ever tried taking a complex B vitamin before playing? I'm pretty much allergic to any type of painkiller, and B vitamins actually stop headaches too, although you will get hyper for a few hours.

I had headaches during and after games for a while when I wore the Nike 4000 helmet...it was just too narrow for my head shape. I didn't really have that problem with the old CCM Bucket I wore before that and haven't had any problems with the Mission Carbster I now wear. So in my case it was just a helmet that didn't fit right. Since you've been diagnosed with Migranes it's likely your problem is different, but if you're wearing a helmet that doesn't fit great it could contribute to the problem.

I had headaches during and after games for a while when I wore the Nike 4000 helmet...it was just too narrow for my head shape. I didn't really have that problem with the old CCM Bucket I wore before that and haven't had any problems with the Mission Carbster I now wear. So in my case it was just a helmet that didn't fit right. Since you've been diagnosed with Migranes it's likely your problem is different, but if you're wearing a helmet that doesn't fit great it could contribute to the problem.

I've gone through so many helmets over the years....tried different sizes, fits, etc. So I know that's not it, unfortunately :(

How long do these headaches last? I used to get these strange headaches on one side of my head while slalom water skiing that were incredibly painful but very short-lived. Also when I was younger, I had headaches constantly, probably at least one pretty bad one each week. Now I rarely get them.

The caffeine in excedrin is known to help certain kinds of headaches...so you might have to live with it, because caffeine does help the OTC pain medicines work better (and other drugs).

One thing you might try is just drinking a LOT of water during (you should do this anyway) and after hockey. Dehydration can help cause a lot of headaches. Now that I think about it, my constant headaches went away at about the same time I started drinking lots of water every day. Try this if you haven't already.

Otherwise, you might just want to look at some prescription medicines. Go to the doctor and tell him you are in serious pain and that you need something for these headaches (something with codeine or hydrocodone, like vicodin or the tylenol 2). It's really ridiculous these days with doctors being reluctant to prescribe needed pain medications because of the abuse potential, but you are the kind of person who needs it. Prescription opiate painkillers work better than anything else, and they won't keep you up at night either (will likely help you fall asleep). Find a doctor who will prescribe something that works.

Obviously don't take any of my or anyone else's suggestions without asking a doctor...

Oh yea, as a last option there is also a common but illegal (in many places) plant that is supposed to work wonders for severe migraines (Kareem Abdul-Jabar used to swear by it). But I don't recommend you break the law. If you are in Canada you could probably get a prescription for that kind of thing...or the synthetic variant.

I had a friend with this, he described it as a bad hangover... SO I suggested better hydrating before a game and it solved HIS issue. Just throwing that out there.

Otherwise, you might just want to look at some prescription medicines. Go to the doctor and tell him you are in serious pain and that you need something for these headaches (something with codeine or hydrocodone, like vicodin or the tylenol 2). It's really ridiculous these days with doctors being reluctant to prescribe needed pain medications because of the abuse potential, but you are the kind of person who needs it. Prescription opiate painkillers work better than anything else, and they won't keep you up at night either (will likely help you fall asleep). Find a doctor who will prescribe something that works.

Be VERY careful if you are going to go to the opiate painkiller route. I'm speaking as someone who got addicted to vicodin after hernia surgery several years ago. Within a year after surgery I was spending upwards of $500/month to buy them off the street. Not to mention finally detoxing and kicking the habit was one of the most painful things I've ever gone through. I do not want to say that these perscriptions cannot be used safely, just be extremely careful when you go that route because they are addictive, physically and mentally.

Be VERY careful if you are going to go to the opiate painkiller route. I'm speaking as someone who got addicted to vicodin after hernia surgery several years ago. Within a year after surgery I was spending upwards of $500/month to buy them off the street. Not to mention finally detoxing and kicking the habit was one of the most painful things I've ever gone through. I do not want to say that these perscriptions cannot be used safely, just be extremely careful when you go that route because they are addictive, physically and mentally.

Yes, some people get very attached to these, but they are still the best thing for severe pain, which seems to be what he has. Since the headaches do not occur too frequently (I assume if it's only after games), then he would only need to take the stuff on these occasions and would likely not build a tolerance. Most people who get addicted are using the drugs for long term, daily pain, and so they have to keep upping the dose due to tolerance until they need the pills just to stave off a withdrawal. In his case, this would be less of an issue.

My point was only to be extremely careful with these types of meds. I was only perscribed them for about a week, yet managed to get physically hooked in that short a time. And if you don't think this type of addicition is as much physical as it is mental, read up on it or try to go through the withdrawl symptoms, its very physical.

Thanks for the replies, everyone...

gxc999 - No, I haven't tried a complex B vitamin before playing but I will look into it. You say it makes you hyper - does it make your heart rate increase?

USAhockey22, TBLfan - my parents are avid runners and when I spoke to them today they mentioned the same thing (about staying extremely hydrated during and after). I drink water during the game of course but I may not be getting enough. They said that they both get headaches if they don't drink enough water while running. I usually try to take a swig after each shift but maybe I should be drinking more? If anyone has gotten a professional opinion on how much water should be consumed during a game, please post it.

As for the vicodin route, I actually have a bottle of it right now because of my foot surgery recovery but unfortunately (or fortunately ;)) vicodin doesn't so sh-t for my headaches.

Water or gatorade, 32oz(ish) of it 2 hours to 30mins before the game, then piss just before you get dressed. That should solve any hydration issues. You can't drink too much water inbetween shifts because you'll throw up. I normally drink then spit every other shift. Or drink, spit, spit. You'll feel in your gut if you have too much water in there.

That is only one possibility though, easy solution though.

Do you chew on your mouthguard/gum during a game?

Nope...no mouthguard and no gum. I do have TMJ though...maybe that has something to do with it?

Yea, there's a fine line when hydrating before and during a game- you don't want to drink too much. Ideally you should have been drinking regularly for the day up until the game, then when it gets closer, slow it down a bit. During a game, some people will tell you a certain amount, but really just drink how you want if you are thirsty, but not too much. You should be able to feel this out, it's different for different people...when I am playing I get incredibly thirsty and drink constantly without having any issues.

One thing to assess whether or not youre drinking enough is the color/frequency of your urine afterwards. If you are pissing clear throughout the day, and still after the game, then you are drinking enough. Usually you will also have to go shortly after the game, maybe several times, if you are drinking adequately. And remember to keep drinking after the game is over. During the game and immediately afterwards, gatorade would be good to have in addition to water...don't chug only water for a long period of time (use a drink such as gatorade during/after exercise, and make sure to eat good meals too for the rest of the day). Also make sure you're eating fruits and vegetables and taking a good multivitamin.

Great addition to my post, I agree completely. Although, I have limited my hydrating prep time to 2 hours to 30 mins before a game... I used to prep all day long.

I had a friend with this, he described it as a bad hangover... SO I suggested better hydrating before a game and it solved HIS issue. Just throwing that out there.

+1

Called it a hockey hangover. Drinking water before, during, and after the game helps prevent them.

+1

If I dont hydrate, then I get headaches and just generally feel bad during and after playing

Fletch

I get the same headaches that you do. They suck and if i dont take anything mine usually turn into a Migraine. I have found that for me I take a motrin(800 mg left over from a broken leg) about an hour before the game and then I drink a lot of water. I usually drink a big bottle on my way to the game, a bottle during, and a bottle on the way home. I dont know if it helps but I try and eat an energy or protein bar on my way.

I have not experienced a headache like I used to in a while.

Good luck finding what works for you cause I know how you feel.

Fletch,

A good hydration test (besides the urine color) is to try to spit. If it feels thick in your mouth and sticks to your lips when you spit or comes out as a glob, you need to hydrate better. If it feels like about the consistency of water in your mouth and comes out as more of a stream, you're about where you need to be.

If you're not at a point where you have to relieve yourself, this is a quick way to check your hydration. Just make sure you do it into a trashcan, because a rink worker might beat the snot out of you if he finds spit globs on the floor.

You might want to look at some seemingly non-related things.

Most people lose a lot of water during a game. I think I once heard that goalies lose something like 5 pounds of water. You could be severely dehydrated if you sweat a lot. Try a game where you really gulped a lot of water before the game starts, and see if you do better.

Some people have electrolyte issues, and that can send you loopy. I know a lot of people frown on it, but when I am exercising a long time (like an all day hike) I simply need to take 2-6 salt tablets along the way. Otherwise I am just too tired to get down off of the mountain at the end of the day. So try some stuff like salt tabs or gatoraide, and see if it helps.

It is possible that you are missing some key mineral, like magnesium, calcium, chromium, etc. Try taking mineral suplement tablets for a week and see if the problem goes away. During all that skating, you are going to use up whatever good stuff you have stored in your body, and if you start the game with nothing in the tank...

You could be having blood sugar issues. Maybe after a long game you are out of sugar and have trouble processing more. To test you would need a blood glucose meter, so if you know a diabetic you could borrow his and test before and after the game. If your readings are between 75 and 140 or so, you are normal. If they are way out of that range, you should go see a doc. Low blood sugar would give headaches, as well as sweats, mild shaking, a little dissorientation, etc.

Yea, there's a fine line when hydrating before and during a game- you don't want to drink too much. Ideally you should have been drinking regularly for the day up until the game, then when it gets closer, slow it down a bit. During a game, some people will tell you a certain amount, but really just drink how you want if you are thirsty, but not too much. You should be able to feel this out, it's different for different people...when I am playing I get incredibly thirsty and drink constantly without having any issues.

One thing to assess whether or not youre drinking enough is the color/frequency of your urine afterwards. If you are pissing clear throughout the day, and still after the game, then you are drinking enough. Usually you will also have to go shortly after the game, maybe several times, if you are drinking adequately. And remember to keep drinking after the game is over. During the game and immediately afterwards, gatorade would be good to have in addition to water...don't chug only water for a long period of time (use a drink such as gatorade during/after exercise, and make sure to eat good meals too for the rest of the day). Also make sure you're eating fruits and vegetables and taking a good multivitamin.

Agree with this guy. Your urine color pretty much tells you if you are drinking enough water. Only other thing I could think of that hasn't been addressed is the lights. Some people are sensitive to bright lights, maybe try a smoked visor, I have 1 you can buy.

One more thing,

Do you stretch quite a bit before and after games?

I used to get these sharp headaches in college, felt like someone was driving a needle into my temple. Doctor said it was from badminton (had to take a course), that all the bouncing around was making my neck muscles tense up, which can cause pain that resembles headaches. Also had stabbing pains in my stomach. Both went away right after I dropped the class.

+1

Called it a hockey hangover. Drinking water before, during, and after the game helps prevent them.

I wanted to add this when i read the title.

Its very to drink a lot of water all day long.

how long after a game do you get the headaches. Hydration is a good thought but also look into your blood sugar levels.

They start up about a half hour to an hour afterward.

Fletch

I get the same headaches that you do. They suck and if i dont take anything mine usually turn into a Migraine. I have found that for me I take a motrin(800 mg left over from a broken leg) about an hour before the game and then I drink a lot of water. I usually drink a big bottle on my way to the game, a bottle during, and a bottle on the way home. I dont know if it helps but I try and eat an energy or protein bar on my way.

I have not experienced a headache like I used to in a while.

Good luck finding what works for you cause I know how you feel.

I've tried Motrin (Advil) and it doesn't help....Excedrin does help but it wires me up and I don't like to feel like that during a game, that's why I take them afterward.

Agree with this guy. Your urine color pretty much tells you if you are drinking enough water. Only other thing I could think of that hasn't been addressed is the lights. Some people are sensitive to bright lights, maybe try a smoked visor, I have 1 you can buy.

I asked my eye doc about the lights a while ago - he said it could have something to do with it, so I tried a tinted visor but (HS22) but it didn't help, unfortunately.

One more thing,

Do you stretch quite a bit before and after games?

I used to get these sharp headaches in college, felt like someone was driving a needle into my temple. Doctor said it was from badminton (had to take a course), that all the bouncing around was making my neck muscles tense up, which can cause pain that resembles headaches. Also had stabbing pains in my stomach. Both went away right after I dropped the class.

I stretch, but probably not nearly as much as I should....that's something I hope to start doing when I start playing again.