Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

docar15

First hockey skates for toddlers?

It is time to teach my 26 moths old son to skate. He is currently in street shoe size 8.5EE going on 9EE in a month. We tried renting figure skates and he trips over the toe pics. Please share your experiences on what works best for the first hockey skate, are youth skates sized similar to senior skates, etc.? How do you get them to wear protective gear? Any tricks you can share?

Many thanks in advance.

Ahh, those were the back breaking days!!

I taught both of my kids at about that age.

Daughter wore figure skates, son wore the tiniest little pair of bauers that you've ever seen.

My daughter didn't have a problem with the toe picks, she mainly just walked around at that age. The toe picks on beginner figure skates are usually fairly weak. If this was an ongoing problem, your skate shop can grind off the lowest pick. Problem solved.

For my son, it was in hockey skates. Never used bob skates or anything. One thing that I came to believe in, was not using one of those sleds or a chair to start. I think that they can become too dependant upon using an aid. I found that later when teaching them to glide and push with one foot it was useful.

Basically, I taught them to walk while holding both of my hands. Then, to walk while holding onto one hand. Then ultimately to walk without holding on to anything. Then to march along lifting their feet higher off of the ice. Once they can do that, get them to walk/shuffle a little quicker and the do a two foot glide. After they have that, they can sart using alternate feet and developing a stride.

One tip, use a door mat or old piece of carpet for them to stand on when you show them what you want them to do..that way they don't go a gainer while you're not holding on to them.

After that, it's all mileage. The more you do with them the faster they will learn. Both of my kids really got excited when I would offer them a "swishy" in return for trying something. A "swishy" was a fast skate with me holding them up and guiding them along. This also gets them comfortable with going faster - but it is a back killer.

Have fun...a couple of winters later and they are flying around the ice! :D

Just take your time and be patient, It will happen eventually but not as fast as you may think. My son was first on the ice when he was 2. He is now 3 1/2 and is finally skooting along on his own. He just shuffles his feet around the ice. Get a pair of snow pants if you can also. I just rented the smallest pair is hockey skates they had and they worked better than the figure skates which he trips over the pick.

Kids skates are like adult sizes, you need to try them on. My kids wanted their gear on anytime they went on the ice, even public skate. They just wanted to play hockey. They both used crates at first but refused them once they started to get some speed and confidence. They found out for themselves that falling with pads is no big deal.

Also, let the kids pick their own stuff and decide what they want to wear on the ice. I think some parents turn their kids off by making them wear what's easy, like snowpants and mittens, or picking out what's cheap.

I have heard recommendations for the CCM Tyke. Flat blade, adjustable 3-4 sizes. I'm not sure how small they make them, though. I'm quite interested in responses, as I'll be in the same boat very shortly.

I have heard recommendations for the CCM Tyke. Flat blade, adjustable 3-4 sizes. I'm not sure how small they make them, though.

I have these for my two year-old, and they're pretty nice. Hers are adjustable from size 8 (toddler) through 11.

Do they still make lil angels and lil champs?

I don't know if they still make them, but there's usually some up on ebay from time to time.

Do they still make lil angels and lil champs?

Yes Bauer still does and they also have "Furry Friends" youth skates that are adjustable. One pair has a design that looks like a penguin and the other pair look like polar bear feet.

I coach at my local rink and the best thing to do with little kids is to make it fun for them and not force them into it. Depending on how strict your rink is you can bring out permanent markers and let them draw and just become more comfortable on the ice.

Jordan gave great advice on teaching youth skating.

We have Graf 301s in youth sizes in my shop - down to a size 8. It's a good skate, but I'm not sure it's worth the $130 sticker slapped on it.

We have Graf 301s in youth sizes in my shop - down to a size 8. It's a good skate, but I'm not sure it's worth the $130 sticker slapped on it.

No kidding.. did you know they make the Vapor XXXX's in youth sizes?? That's so much skate for a little kid and why spend so much money on something they're only going to use for 6 months?

If you get a helmet, never tighten the screws while its on the head with an electric screw driver.:) Made that mistake when I first started working at a pro shop. Little fella freaked!

I teach beginners all the time, the only thing I'd add to the excellent comments above is that it is worthwhile to let them walk around for 10mins or so on the rubber mats around the rink. Just helps to give them the feel of the skate and balancing on the blade without it sliding/skating...make sure they are having fun!

I'd also reccomend a few private lessons to start. I figured I'm Canadian, skated since I was 3 or 4, learned to teach in the army and the fire service, I figured it'd be quality father son time to teach my 4 1/2 year old to skate. 5 private lessons wound up saving him from death and me from jail. Almost the best $100 I ever spent.

When my daughter was the same age as your son, I bought her these to start out:

http://www.babyskates.com/buy-your-baby-skates.php

They worked pretty well, actually. Got her on the ice and marching around on her own, having fun. The double runners are pretty close together, but still offer stabilization. And no toe picks. Not the way a true skating purest would go....but at that age, I'd recommend them just to introduce him to the ice and being out there having some fun.

Then last year I got her these. The boys version is called Lil Champs, as someone mentioned. Great first real skates, and only like $22. No toe picks either. But much harder to skate in, obviously, and a lot more strain on my old back:

http://www.hockeydeals.com/item.php?ref_no=52384

I got her an Itech HC10 helmet from HG, which was the smallest I could find. Never had a problem with her wearing it or other gear. Just made it fun for her, let her try it on and wear it around at home first so she got used to it.

One suggestion I had, which Sabby eluded to, is don't overdue it in the beginning. Skate for short bits of time and get off the ice when he's tired or complaining. Don't force them to stay out there and "skate" at that age. And I make going to the rink a really fun experience other than the skating. Like I bring snacks and treats and she often gets a balloon and lollipop from her "coach" -- THANK YOU SABBY! We sometimes watch the drop-in session or go upstairs and watch the skating from there while eating. In other words, make going to the rink to skate fun and surround it with positive associations.

Good luck and enjoy the fun!

I am approaching this as well. My kid can start playing at age 3 in the Mosquitos which is a learning period from ages 3-7. 10 weeks of sessions once a week. Anyhow I would suggest going to the closest hockey supply and having them size him/her and getting the skates there. May have to have them ordered, but at least you know the skates fit properly. At this age, they are developing very quickly and dont want to disrupt that with an injury due to poor fitting skates. My sons ready to play he's already talking about the stanley cup :D

Here's a pic of the 2 of us for kicks.

theboys005si9.th.jpg

Casey

I've been through this recently with 2 kids. Some pointers I have to share:

First, master the basics using any kind of skate the kid likes. Odds are they wont fit for very long anyway. I found some inexpensive Bauers at a local shop which worked fine.

1. Private lessons are GREAT, but wasted if the kid can't even stand up.

2. Hockey will come. Get him/her/them into skating first. Our rink uses pool "noodles" and squishy balls - anything to get the kids to focus on anything but skating. They tend to focus on chasing down the balls and picking up noodles so they forget they are skating. on ice. :D

3. Before trying to play hockey I'd recommend making sure the kid can do some basic things like starts/stops, swizzles forward and backward, pushing off, and how to get up the right way, etc. This guide from USA Hockey can help also.

4. Look around for free or inexpensive skating clinics, we were fortunate in that the LA Kings spent 6 weekends holding free skate clinics over last summer. Some gear was on hand if needed, otherwise kids wore skate/bike helmets etc. and just went out there having fun. "Kickstart" programs are good also.

If you are like me, you probably cant wait to see your kids all suited up. Just be patient and make sure that he/she can do the basics first. It won't be long after that and they'll be skating circles around you.

-E

A helmet is obviously a must, but what other gear do people recommend putting the little ones in ? Hockey pants ? Elbows ? Knee pads ? Seems like cushioning them might remove some of the fear factor of falling. But they're pretty low to the ground; would gear hinder them more than help them ?

I wanted to take my now 2 1/2-year old out this winter, but a guy at the local store suggested I wait until next year. He thought kids' legs were usually too weak for skating at 2. Obviously there are exceptions, but is that about right ?

First: If your kid can walk, he can start learning to skate. My test was that he be interested in it. Just don't have any illusions that they will just take off, progress comes in small bites at this age. Mostly, you are trying to foster comfort and an interest.

As for equipment. We went with a helmet, and that was about it. Their legs are so small, that with a snowsuit on they can barely move anyways. I wouldn't make it any more awkward for him. the snowsuit provides a fairly soft landing at this stage by itself. I don't think I would have him skate in equipment until he has actually developed a skating stride and gotten past shuffling.

The more fun that you can make it, the better it will go. I also rememebr more than one occasion where my son would be bugging me to go out (we had a backyard rink) and we would get all dressed and get out there and 10 whole minutes later, "daddy I'm cold, I want to go inside". Don't let it get to you, there will be good days and bad days - two year olds are fairly unpredictable. ;)

awesome thread...I am teaching my niece on how to skate and it's quite a fun experience...

just wondering, since she needs new skates, she had little tykes without the pike, should I get her skates with the pike or is she better off without them?

I recommend without since she can give them to her brother when she outgrows them, but wondering what y'all think?

Both of my boys have summer birthdays (July 29 and Sept 6). I think they were each about a year and a half old when I let them wear Bob Skates similar to these: http://www.prolineskates.com/acatalog/BAUE...ICE_SKATES.html

I had them wear them all through their skating season while they were two years old. I bought them each their first pair of hockey skates when they skated as three-year olds and it worked out nicely. Actually, towards the end of their "two-year old season", they were probably ready for the single blade but I sort of had it as a milestone for them that when they turned three, they got their "real hockey skates".

The nice thing was they went out as two-year olds and walked around on the ice while discovering that it's slippery and fun to slide around on. It took MAYBE one public session that fall on their new single blades to figure out how to push but after that, they just took right off. I also got them each into skating lessons, which really helped.

Oh, the first pair of skates for my oldest were Bauer Junior Supreme 90s and the youngest wore Bauer Impact 100s.

- goto hockeymonkey.com and you can get great pairs of youth skates for cheap one90s are only 80 bucks and one50s are 40bucks. Awesome skates too. Or just goto Canadian tire they always have those toddler adjustable skates for only 40 bucks, well in windsor

Congratulations!

Just as an FYI, we just picked up a pair of CCM with a double blade, not a sled double blade, from hockeyworld.com for $9.99. I will let yall know how my boy likes them.

I have heard recommendations for the CCM Tyke. Flat blade, adjustable 3-4 sizes. I'm not sure how small they make them, though. I'm quite interested in responses, as I'll be in the same boat very shortly.

Babyskates are too small. We looked. Excellent idea for smaller feet.

When my daughter was the same age as your son, I bought her these to start out:

http://www.babyskates.com/buy-your-baby-skates.php

They worked pretty well, actually. Got her on the ice and marching around on her own, having fun. The double runners are pretty close together, but still offer stabilization. And no toe picks. Not the way a true skating purest would go....but at that age, I'd recommend them just to introduce him to the ice and being out there having some fun.

Then last year I got her these. The boys version is called Lil Champs, as someone mentioned. Great first real skates, and only like $22. No toe picks either. But much harder to skate in, obviously, and a lot more strain on my old back:

http://www.hockeydeals.com/item.php?ref_no=52384

I got her an Itech HC10 helmet from HG, which was the smallest I could find. Never had a problem with her wearing it or other gear. Just made it fun for her, let her try it on and wear it around at home first so she got used to it.

One suggestion I had, which Sabby eluded to, is don't overdue it in the beginning. Skate for short bits of time and get off the ice when he's tired or complaining. Don't force them to stay out there and "skate" at that age. And I make going to the rink a really fun experience other than the skating. Like I bring snacks and treats and she often gets a balloon and lollipop from her "coach" -- THANK YOU SABBY! We sometimes watch the drop-in session or go upstairs and watch the skating from there while eating. In other words, make going to the rink to skate fun and surround it with positive associations.

Good luck and enjoy the fun!

AMEN!!!

Our problem is that my little terror refuses to stand on ice, let alone walk, march, push a backet, etc. He purposely slides his feet, resulting in a near fall and me having to hold him. Littles ones are way too smart.

He has never worn a pair of mits of gloves and would not put a pair on. Would not touch the ice with his hands. When I gently let him fall, he just stays there and screams untill skate gurads comes over to ask if we need help and I look like a moron parent.

He loves his helmet.

Refuses to wear his snow pants.

He can stand OK on a sled (1.5 inches wide double blade). Again, refuses to walk.

He is bi-lingual, so talking complete sentenses is still a bit aways.

I would consider giving up, but this two year old can hit a regullation size puck on a low carpet with a red peewee stick (cut off) about 10 feet+ and hit my shoe three out of four times!!!

First: If your kid can walk, he can start learning to skate. My test was that he be interested in it. Just don't have any illusions that they will just take off, progress comes in small bites at this age. Mostly, you are trying to foster comfort and an interest.

As for equipment. We went with a helmet, and that was about it. Their legs are so small, that with a snowsuit on they can barely move anyways. I wouldn't make it any more awkward for him. the snowsuit provides a fairly soft landing at this stage by itself. I don't think I would have him skate in equipment until he has actually developed a skating stride and gotten past shuffling.

The more fun that you can make it, the better it will go. I also rememebr more than one occasion where my son would be bugging me to go out (we had a backyard rink) and we would get all dressed and get out there and 10 whole minutes later, "daddy I'm cold, I want to go inside". Don't let it get to you, there will be good days and bad days - two year olds are fairly unpredictable. ;)

Good comments so far above. Especially giving him time to walk around on the skates on the mat (and fall and get up on his own especially!)

Pads really help (hockey gear) to keep them from being afraid to fall.

Raw pads (plastic on ice) make them slip so be careful about putting roller knee pads on the outside of jeans.

I"m on my 3rd kid skating.

Each one took to it differently. All started at about age 3.

First one seemed about average and was motivated. Never cried. 4 public sessions and then started a "lets play hockey" class. Chasing a puck made him forget about his skating and he progressed quickly. That summer had him take skating lessons in hockey skates w/ the figure skating group. Helped alot.

2nd boy put him into his older brothers smaller skates at 2 1/2 and did not fall even once. Put him into 3 lessons before starting hockey school and how plays Mite Travel as an Atom. Great skater, but he is very athletic.

3rd son is a weeble wobble. Muscles like marshmellows. Been working with him on and off for past 8 months. Not as motivated as the others and tires quickly. Skating instructors were a waist as he just did not progress as fast as the other kids in the class and they paid little attention to him. He progressed so slowly 1 on 1 that I'm giving him till the end of hockey season to work with him again.

I think the point I want to get across is that all kids are different and move at different speeds. Beware that you compare him to other kids even of the same age. Not every kid is born surefooted. Make sure they are having fun or they will not be motivated. Get them to smile and think about their accomplishments. Prepare yourself to be dissapointed once and a while and you'll be cool about it.

docar15 it sounds like you might be pushing it a little for your son. It is important the kids think it is fun not torture. If your son is crying a lot on the ice he isn't ready yet.

I taught my son when he was 3 and at the begining I went around holding his hands. I skated backwards and he loosely held my hands and sometimes I pulled him sometimes I made him skate. Gradually I would have him skate/shuffle/walk a few strides toward me. Once we did that I would stay a couple of feet away from him so he had to keep moving to keep up.

Once that was working I would try to get him to skate from blue line to blue line. By the end of the winter when he was 3.5 he was skating around the rink on his own. The next year when he was 4.5 I put him in our learn to play hockey program.

One of my kids favorite things about going to public skate when they were 3&4 was getting something from the snack bar. If that was a way to keep them going back I was all for it.

Mostly make it fun. If your kid is crying try something else whether it is holding their hands or whatever to make sure they have fun on the ice.

This is my attitude toward teaching my kids anything. They are 8 and 9 now and both skate, snow ski, water ski, play a little golf in addition to traditional sports. They have fun with them and ask to do them which is my only objective for these activities.