Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShootsNScores93

Long Island New York

I live in Holbrook (Islip) and would be down for roller but maybe ice if i could get equipment for it. Roller would be much easier though because most places are generally empty late at night, especially sports arena. and whats the deal with the rink that opened up in port jefferson, i hear its an outdoor rink ran by the same people who run the rinx. can you say MSH winter classic

I live in Holbrook (Islip) and would be down for roller but maybe ice if i could get equipment for it. Roller would be much easier though because most places are generally empty late at night, especially sports arena. and whats the deal with the rink that opened up in port jefferson, i hear its an outdoor rink ran by the same people who run the rinx. can you say MSH winter classic

Roller would be a bit hard for me right now. My skates are at my parents in NJ. Haven't played roller in years...then again I am just getting back into ice after about 10 years.

Been a member here for a little while now but just stumbled upon this thread. I guess I'd say I'm from LI ;) th_chestfinished.jpg

Grew up in Wantagh and moved east a few yrs back, currently living in Port Jeff Station. I Really miss the proximity of the numerous rinks that Nassau had to offer, Suffolk is lacking in a big way when it comes to ice rinks and quality of ice rinks. I miss the hard fast Newbridge ice I grew up playing on, the ear popping when entering the Freeport bubble, the funky colors the crappy lights at Cantiague create, and the nice drive to Long Beach. Now I'm playing in the midnight league and playing open hockey Wed. & Sun. out in Greenport (not a real hockey rink but it's cheap and there's a good bunch of guys so it's a good time).

Did the open hockey thing ever happen? I may be down for something as long as I don't have a game that night, it's not west of Nassau and it's not too late.

Hey guys new the forums and I just moved out to Merrick a few months ago. I was living in NYC and finally decided to get back into playing (havent played since college, so about 10 years). I have hit up Long Beach a couple times so far, but wanted to know what other places to check out and maybe some info on decent pro shops and places to get skates sharpened. I searched the forums and there seems to be a bunch of different places, but all the posts were from a year or so ago, so I wasn't sure how up to date the info was. Thanks.

You've got plenty of rinks within 20 minutes, I don't know all the latest open hockey times but I know Syosset has a few (probably on their mini rink though) and Long Beach used to have some, not sure if Newbridge, Freeport or Iceland have any. As far as pro shops, the one in Newbridge (right around the corner from you) was always pretty good, there are a couple guys there that know their stuff just make sure the old lady doesn't do your skates (she's nice but you don't want her near your edges). They have a limited selection of equipment, just the basics but for equipment you can shoot down Merrick Rd to Wantagh where wheelin willy's is (one of the members on here works there), they're mainly an inline/roller shop but they have some good ice stuff as well (or used to, it's been about 4-5 yrs since I've been in there).

*Other part taken out
Hey guys new the forums and I just moved out to Merrick a few months ago. I was living in NYC and finally decided to get back into playing (havent played since college, so about 10 years). I have hit up Long Beach a couple times so far, but wanted to know what other places to check out and maybe some info on decent pro shops and places to get skates sharpened. I searched the forums and there seems to be a bunch of different places, but all the posts were from a year or so ago, so I wasn't sure how up to date the info was. Thanks.

You've got plenty of rinks within 20 minutes, I don't know all the latest open hockey times but I know Syosset has a few (probably on their mini rink though) and Long Beach used to have some, not sure if Newbridge, Freeport or Iceland have any. As far as pro shops, the one in Newbridge (right around the corner from you) was always pretty good, there are a couple guys there that know their stuff just make sure the old lady doesn't do your skates (she's nice but you don't want her near your edges). They have a limited selection of equipment, just the basics but for equipment you can shoot down Merrick Rd to Wantagh where wheelin willy's is (one of the members on here works there), they're mainly an inline/roller shop but they have some good ice stuff as well (or used to, it's been about 4-5 yrs since I've been in there).

Actually its the other way around now it's mainly ice and roller hockey with some inline stuff.

Been a member here for a little while now but just stumbled upon this thread. I guess I'd say I'm from LI ;) th_chestfinished.jpg

Grew up in Wantagh and moved east a few yrs back, currently living in Port Jeff Station. I Really miss the proximity of the numerous rinks that Nassau had to offer, Suffolk is lacking in a big way when it comes to ice rinks and quality of ice rinks. I miss the hard fast Newbridge ice I grew up playing on, the ear popping when entering the Freeport bubble, the funky colors the crappy lights at Cantiague create, and the nice drive to Long Beach. Now I'm playing in the midnight league and playing open hockey Wed. & Sun. out in Greenport (not a real hockey rink but it's cheap and there's a good bunch of guys so it's a good time).

Did the open hockey thing ever happen? I may be down for something as long as I don't have a game that night, it's not west of Nassau and it's not too late.

Thanks for the info. Maybe we should get a new LI skate together in the coming months.

Question for anyone in Nassau County that goes to Long Beach. Are they going to bring back thursday night open hockey? Seems like the only option right now is Syosset which seems a bit pricey and Wheelin Willies thursday night session at Cantiague.

Question for anyone in Nassau County that goes to Long Beach. Are they going to bring back thursday night open hockey? Seems like the only option right now is Syosset which seems a bit pricey and Wheelin Willies thursday night session at Cantiague.

On 3/19, they are starting an Adult Clinic. Mainly because a lot of the regulars that used to play at Newbridge on Thursday nights requested it (Newbridge cancelled their Thurs night a few weeks ago). It'll probably be an hour of drills and half hour scrimmage or something like that. If it's anything like Newbridge, the hockey is not that great b/c there is a mix of players, even some that have very limited ability. But it's a good bunch of guys and pretty laid back. I think the time is good too, something like 8:00-9:30.

Thanks for the info. Yeah not sure if I am up for a clinic..although I am sure I could use it hahaha. Just want to hit up some open ice sessions.

Thanks for the info. Yeah not sure if I am up for a clinic..although I am sure I could use it hahaha. Just want to hit up some open ice sessions.

I think what's going to happen is it will probably devolve into a pick-up game b/c whoever is coaching it will get frustrated and just start a game instead of running drills.

Does Freeport have open ice? I don't remember them ever having open hockey but I heard they renovated the bubble so who knows. There's also Dix Hills which is like a 30-40 minute drive, it's really late at night and it's the worst rink on the island but hey it's open hockey.

If I didn't work at 630am and live out east I'd try to get to some of the ones at Cantiague.

Do you know when they run them at Catiague?

It used to be Thurs. night at 11pm, it's the one run by Wheelin Willys. Not sure if they've changed the date or time since last time I was there about 3-4 years ago.

It's still 11 PM at Cantiague. If you plan on going to that call the store first, he asks that you "reserve" a spot. He gets a lot of calls about it.

It's still 11 PM at Cantiague. If you plan on going to that call the store first, he asks that you "reserve" a spot. He gets a lot of calls about it.

Is it still $20? I may try to plan to take off a Friday so I can make it to one of them :D

Is it still $20? I may try to plan to take off a Friday so I can make it to one of them :D

Probably going to try and hit this up soon with some friends. We went to Syosset last night and for $25 it was not worth it. The mini-rink is just too tiny. If there aren't enough people there, like last night, its just not a good time playing totally wiped out. Yet if there are too many people I am guessing it would not be that great either since your getting a lot less ice time for $25.

Last time I went it was 22.

ah damn inflation :P I still get angry when I get charged $10 for a skate sharpening, it was always $5 for as long as I could remember up until a few years ago, then bam 100% inflation. :( (yes I'm a cheap bastard)

Syosset open hockey is definitely not worth it... charging the most money and making you play on a miniature rink, not worth it at all. Dix Hills is still $20 but it's super late at night (11:50pm) and it's the worst rink on the island. Superior used to have some good open hockey on Thurs. nights but last I heard they stopped that a few years back, so it seems like Cantiague is really the best bet.

yeah really seems like there is just nothing going on now. Syosset is def. not worth it. Long Beach has friday nights, but that is like incredibly late 12:30am!

We should just get a bunch of guys from here who are regularly looking for open time and book ice time.

Hey guys been a bit busy lately and just saw the posts about the DC game so I was thinking would any of you guys want to get a Long Island game together, could also open it up to some NYC people.

Does anyone know what is going on with the Long Beach arena?

how bad do you guys want to get together to play inline? I work at the sports arena(13 years now)there is weekend time available,we pay for the first hour ($125),im sure the boss would be happy with that.but if i open and no one is coming in after us,well we just keep playing till we drop.as for ice, dix hills might be the cheap way to go.

how bad do you guys want to get together to play inline? I work at the sports arena(13 years now)there is weekend time available,we pay for the first hour ($125),im sure the boss would be happy with that.but if i open and no one is coming in after us,well we just keep playing till we drop.as for ice, dix hills might be the cheap way to go.

That place is so small though. a bunch of grown men playing 3 on 3 would be a lot.

just offering a chance for everyone to get together to play some hockey,4on4 pick up would be fine,ive played 5on5 with two refs and that sucks but 4on4 would be good.like i said, just offering.

just offering a chance for everyone to get together to play some hockey,4on4 pick up would be fine,ive played 5on5 with two refs and that sucks but 4on4 would be good.like i said, just offering.

im not shooting you down I think 3 on 3 plus a goalie would def work better on that rink since its only about 110 feet.