Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A2rhino

Skate baking tips

Someone was recently telling me that when baking your skates for the first time that it's a good idea to wet your foot with socks if you wear them and without if not before slipping it into the boot and tightening them up. Does this work or make a big differance? If so: How and why?

Nobody seems to be touching this one. Well let me "get my feet wet" and take a shot at it. LOL

I would qoute Jeff Spicoli of 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' 1982 movie,

"I think this is bogus dude"

or in other words the idea of getting your feet wet for a better bake, well this idea is.....all wet.

The only redeming value it would have would be to make your feet a little bit "colder" thus cooling down the bake a little faster - but the damage it might do to your rivets like future rusting outweight it. IMO.

rivets are always gonna get wet - either from sweat, or water from snow / spray. unlacing the top few eyelets and pulling the tongue down to air them out is good preventative maintenance.

regarding the OP's idea, and the effectiveness of wetting your feet before baking - I have no idea. just saying that you wouldn't have to worry about the rivets as a result of doing so.

I've heard customers talk about using this method to break in skates. These customers mostly qualify for social security now. Seriously, I can't think of any benefit to soaking your socks before you bake. I believe the train of thought was that wet socks simulated your foot sweating in the boot thus softening the boot up a little and "breaking the skate in" a little quicker. Now with heat responsive materials in the skate, I think soaking your socks would be irrelivant. On the other side, I can't think of any negative effect it would have. If someone has reasons, one way or the other, I'd would also be interested in knowing.

That's the type of thing that the "old graf guys" have been using to break in their skates for years. Those guys seem to tell everyone that it's the only way to break in your skates. It is not needed nor does it provide any benefits in skates with modern skate construction methods.

Tell me about the wet socks thing. I play with a guy who was squirting water from his bottle into his skates when he was trying to break them in.

What's the big idea?

Anyone tried using high-temp steam on skates, or is that a recipe for disaster?

I'm having really, really good results with a heat-gun on localised spots. Admittedly, I am using a pair of skates I can afford to destroy, but the results are pretty impressive. I've been able to re-shape the heel considerably, and I'm starting to work on the ankle and raising the arch (which seems to be the most difficult thing to do).

Anyone tried using high-temp steam on skates, or is that a recipe for disaster?

I'm having really, really good results with a heat-gun on localised spots. Admittedly, I am using a pair of skates I can afford to destroy, but the results are pretty impressive. I've been able to re-shape the heel considerably, and I'm starting to work on the ankle and raising the arch (which seems to be the most difficult thing to do).

Me too Law Goalie, the heat gun in localized spots has been really rocking my XXV's, I am telling your what - its sick man. One day I will heat up the toe portion if it was a little tight, the next day I will heat the heal area maybe to get a "haglunds bump" punch. One day I even "squeezed" the ankle portion to make it thinner, but I had to stretch it back because it was giving me a cut at top of ankle. I try not to mess with the arch support.

I can tell its hot enough by a certain funny "burning plastic" smell that occurs at 175 degrees - but I have to admit I melted the outside a few times, but no worse for wear....

As far as wet socks ruining the rivet, well I think "wet socks" produce much more "water" if you will, then regular sweaty feet - and with nowhere to go but down into the rivets - Where most of our sweat gets obsorbed by the socks and footbed. Just my opinion - I maybe 'all wet' on this - but I am talking about maybe rusting in 3 years instead of normal 5 years....

In the old days, when skates were real leather, skating with wet socks and new skates would soften the leather from the inside out and break the skates in faster, molding them to your feet's contours.

Maybe this technique is being handed down generation to generation?

In the old days, when skates were real leather, skating with wet socks and new skates would soften the leather from the inside out and break the skates in faster, molding them to your feet's contours.

Maybe this technique is being handed down generation to generation?

No doubt, when I was a "young" roller hockey player - I one time poured boiling water in my skates - waited a few minutes for temp to cool down then put them on and skated around the neiborhood to get a good break in. But those where the "old days" when Mission did not have "heat molding"

I would say times have changed and so does peoples M.O for breaking in....

and too the extreme...

I remember in the early 80's coming home from school and finding our resident junior player sitting on the edge of the bathtub with his skates on... in the water. ...and the sounds of AC/DC's TNT playing in the backround...

IMO, no need for H2O with the new high-tech moisture managing liners and plastic constructed boots of today. Bring on the heat!

Tell me about the wet socks thing. I play with a guy who was squirting water from his bottle into his skates when he was trying to break them in.

What's the big idea?

In the old days before the high tech materials skates were made out of real leather. A soak in water would loosen the leather up and make it more pliable. It was the cave man version of heat molding. With the new technology you don't need any water, just heat. Soaking your skates or socks will just give you wet feet.

I do play hockey with a guy that has old Microns. If he doesn't wear them for a while he will put some water in them (and dump it out0 to help them loosen up a little. That would bug the hell out of me having to skate in damp socks.

No...todays materials don't need to be softened up with water. IMHO wet socks do nothing but cause blisters.

No...todays materials don't need to be softened up with water. IMHO wet socks do nothing but cause blisters.

Funny, I've never had a skate blister in my life and I've wet sock'd every skate I've owned.

...wet socking just helps with the inside of the skate form better, like a supplement to the heat mold?

Let me put it this way, if any manufacturer "catches wind" that you molded your skates with very wet socks - I would bet any warrentee would be "null and void" - As Kathryn Morris would say on "Cold Case" - case closed.

Not during the heat mold, but the first few ice times

is what i meant.

I would not call this a "standard practice" in the Modern era, although JR seems to do it with good results - that does not mean its good for everybody.

JR is a LHS professional and he knows alot about FIT.

Yes, JR has never recieved a blister....but there is a song in the 80's that full of blisters.

Dire Straits....

Now that aint workin thats the way you do it

Lemme tell ya 'wet socks' aint dumb

Maybe get a blister on your little finger

Maybe get a blister on your thumb