Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

clboy

Beginner needs help with skates

Hi, did a search earlier but I got too many off-topic threads. I'm looking for advice on skates for a first time hockey player, I'd be playing at most 3 hours a week for a couple of months. I'm about 6 foot 220lbs, I'm wondering if the Bauer Vapor X's are a decent skate for a beginner ice skater, I've played 6+ yrs of inline so it's just a matter of learning how to ice skate then I'll be playing in a semi competitive league. Also any other suggestions for skates around the $100 US price point?

Thanks

Coming from roller and with your size, you may want to step up your budget a little to get a decent pair of mid-range skates. The reason I say this is because you will probably want a stiffer boot than a $100 pair of skates will afford you, unless you decide to buy a pair of top-end discontinued skates.

Ok, the reason for getting the cheap skates, hockey giant has the Bauer Vapor X for 130US whereas my LHS has them for $400 cdn.. I'm wondering if these are decent for their price?

Thanks again I've looked at ebay and will check the B/S

I would second the Mission skates also since they emphasize comfort more than the Vapor line of Bauer skates. When you are just learning to ice skate you want to make sure you have the most comfortable pair of skates possible so that you can concentrate more on learning to ice skate and less on worrying about breaking in skates. When my wife started learning I bought her a pair of used skates first b/c I wanted her to have them already broken in for comfort reasons. Breaking in a pair of skates is not the easiest thing to do when you can barely keep your feet underneath you.

Good luck!

If I were you I would try to find a pair of Vapor 10s (the old ones). I recently saw a clearence pair somewhere for $95. I had a few pairs from the time they came out to the time Bauer released the XXs. I thought they were pretty damn good skates. I didn't like the fit as much as I now do XXs, but I liked them alot. Very comfortable and much more durable than the XXs.

First, try on a number of skates and find what actually fits your foot best. Your inline experience may help you in that.

I second Chadd's comment. Buy what feels good, period. Some possible suggestions: Bauer Classic Silvers, Bauer 2090s, CCM 652s, all are relatively close to your price range and should last you for a few years.

ill agree, try on several pair, i would avoid the devil internet for your skates, just to ensure youre getting the right skate for your foot. i would look for a Bauer 2000, Easton UL Pro SBX, something from te discontinued Externo line, possibly an E-30, being that youve skated before, you dont want the cheapest skates, but the best arent necessary either

ill agree, try on several pair, i would avoid the devil internet for your skates, just to ensure youre getting the right skate for your foot. i would look for a Bauer 2000, Easton UL Pro SBX, something from te discontinued Externo line, possibly an E-30, being that youve skated before, you dont want the cheapest skates, but the best arent necessary either

Actually, there are places where you can get the E-50's and 60's dirt cheap. I got a pair of E-60's for $90 a couple months ago.

You'll probably save more money in the long run if you get a higher end skate now. After you improve, you'll be wanting to huck those cheapo skates in the corner for some higher end ones. Nothing too hardcore though like a low cut graf skate. I would only suggest a lower end skate if you don't know your skate preferences yet. You should have a fairly good idea by now in terms of stiffness/support after 6 years of inline. Just make sure you try on a few pairs from different companies to find the skate the fits your foot correctly. There's nothing worse than a high end skate that doesn't fit properly.

i would avoid the devil internet for your skates

I would also avoid the internet b/c if you are just starting out then this is the best time to establish a good relationship with your LHS employees. You are probably going to be buying a fair amount of equipment over the next couple of years so the sooner you get to know them the better. Establish a good rapport with your local store and they will usually give you better services and some times stores even give you price breaks (depending on the type and amount of equipment you buy). Plus, you will be supporting a local business.

It may not pay off right away, but the benefits usually get greater over time.

i would avoid the devil internet for your skates

I would also avoid the internet b/c if you are just starting out then this is the best time to establish a good relationship with your LHS employees. You are probably going to be buying a fair amount of equipment over the next couple of years so the sooner you get to know them the better. Establish a good rapport with your local store and they will usually give you better services and some times stores even give you price breaks (depending on the type and amount of equipment you buy). Plus, you will be supporting a local business.

It may not pay off right away, but the benefits usually get greater over time.

The shop I usually get my equipment from didn't really have anything I was looking for, I agree it's a good idea to form a good relationship with the LHS. I've tried on several different pairs of skates so far but it's hard to get a feel as to how they are once you get skating on them (Experience from my inline stuff) I went to a local bigbox retailer and tried on the vapor 10's, (my inline's are mission's for indoors and Bauer's for outdoors). I also looked at the E50's and they're just too expensive (tag said 399 cdn for E50's). Mission S200's wern't available in my size and I don't feel like waiting around for a while. I'm not overly concerned with breaking in skates as I've done that time and time again so it's not a big deal. I just don't know how to ice skate :P everyone is astonished that I have no problems rollerblading but can't make it 5 feet on ice.

Thanks again