Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Grip Flex Comparison

One other nice thing was that cutting off passes and poke checking was much easier. I could get more power while sweeping and moving the stick, so I got my blade on a lot of passes and broke up some plays. I could see this being a great tool for defensemen.

That's what I like best about the Oggies.

I've helped Joe at some trade shows and used the TruFlex many times to illustrate the flex becomes enhanced, as well as had conversations with Joe about increased shot speeds they've measured at demo days, but what I really care about the grips is they fit my hand better -- and that is most evident while doing a sweep check. The stick is no longer knocked out of my hand as someone tries to skate through my arm, because I can grab tighter onto the grip.

Joe says the grips are about 80% of the diameter of most sticks, which tells me that if manufacturers could make their sticks thinner many of us would find they fit better, but the durability would be terrible.

What I found was that the increased stability in gripping the stick with the Ergo allowed me to use my biceps to move the stick when defending, which made me much quicker. It wasn't that I could grip the stick stronger, but I didn't have to use my forearm to swing my wrist; I could just move my entire arm and the stick went with it.

I have smaller hands (13" gloves) so it does feel much better than a bunch of tape on the end of a boxy shaft.

I'm going to head over to the shooting range tonight or tomorrow and shoot a bunch more pucks. If I can get the accuracy down and feel a little more comfortable stickhandling, I might convert my other stick as well. But I just want to get in a game situation and "forget" about it and see what happens.

Joe from Oggie Grip gave me the opportunity to purchase one of his new grips before they are available at retail. I’ve been a big fan of the Ergo grips and have been using them for several years so I was excited to try the new grip.

The new grip that I’m trying out differs from the standard Ergo grip in 2 key ways. The grip is built stiffer than the grips currently for sale and is covered in a different material. Joe details the theory behind the extra stiffness on page 2 of this thread. The new grip covering is designed to provide a feel similar to tape with less of the tackiness of the original grip.

I got my new grip 2 weeks ago and have played 5 games since. I’m using the grip in a Mission Pulse with an 85 flex. My initial impression was not positive as my hold on the grip during warm up felt less sure. I felt some slipping while playing with a puck and taking shots during warm up. The original Oggie grips provide a very secure grip and this wasn’t the same.

Once the game began, I didn’t think about the tackiness or the amount of grip at all. At no point did I lose control of the stick or feel like I had to hold on harder than normal. I almost exclusively play defense and I’ve always liked the Ergo grips extra leverage and how it makes it easier to hang onto the stick while fighting for the puck and poke checking. The new covering didn’t change that at all and I think the extra stiffness let me have a little better control of my poke checks. My last game was in a very cold rink and I was concerned the grip would be stiff and slippery, but I had no issues hanging on to my stick.

The biggest change I found was that I seemed to have additional leverage on slap shots and 1 timers. I’m more often able to get a heavy shot on net. I really like the extra pop I’m getting on my shots, especially from the point.

I’m going to continue using the grip and will post another update after an additional 5-10 games. With the holidays that won’t be for 3 weeks or more.

The new grip covering is designed to provide a feel similar to tape with less of the tackiness of the original grip.

*throws hands in the air* Hooray!

Questions (I guess Joe from Oggie would best answer some of them); Still the same Ergo shape? Does it still make the stick softer- as in if I cut an 85 down 6" and put in the grip, would it still feel like an 85 stick, or would it feel the same as if the Oggie were a wood plug?

There have been a few things holding me back from getting an Oggie Grip, one was the "tacky" grip (I use cloth tape with spiral ribs and a knob), then the Ergo shape never felt right and the Classic just didn't feel right compared to my specific knob size and spiral preference.

I've never had issues of dropping my stick, and I hate it when the cloth tape has a tackiness on the top side. I have large hands, I don't know if I would like a smaller diameter grip though.

I was emailing Joe back and forth about a grip, when he told me he has a new composite stick extension coming out. He said that it won't have grip so you can do your own, it will have the same Oggie flex and from what I understand its going to be the traditional square shape. It's supposed to be coming out in January, I am really looking forward to trying one.

I have large hands, I don't know if I would like a smaller diameter grip though.

A lot of players don't. I believe Joe told me the grip is 80% of the diameter of most adult shafts, so players with larger hands will often build up the grip with tape.

Joe says the grips are about 80% of the diameter of most sticks, which tells me that if manufacturers could make their sticks thinner many of us would find they fit better, but the durability would be terrible.

how would a thinner radius make the stick less durable, if the sidewalls are the same thickness

That's an interesting question, so perhaps the answer is the same sidewall thickness within a smaller diameter might lead to a stiffer flex. I really don't know. I'm just guessing here.

Questions (I guess Joe from Oggie would best answer some of them); Still the same Ergo shape?

I'm using the Ergo shaped grip, but both are available.

Does it still make the stick softer- as in if I cut an 85 down 6" and put in the grip, would it still feel like an 85 stick, or would it feel the same as if the Oggie were a wood plug?

I'm not sure. I haven't used a wood plug in years. I would guess the stiff flex still restores some, but not all of the flex you lose after cutting the shaft. It feels stiffer than the current production grip. The X-Stiff flex probably doesn't restore any flex. I'd imagine Joe will make the enhanced and/or whip flex grips with the new covering if he has enough demand.

My 85 flex Pulse is still plenty whippy and I'm still getting lots of bend to the shaft.

I was emailing Joe back and forth about a grip, when he told me he has a new composite stick extension coming out. He said that it won't have grip so you can do your own, it will have the same Oggie flex and from what I understand its going to be the traditional square shape. It's supposed to be coming out in January, I am really looking forward to trying one.

This is what will sell me on it. I'm a stubborn guy who likes his tape a specific way so their grip options really didn't appeal to me. If they offer a plain one that I can tape myself then I'd definitely be interested in trying it out on my new S11 that seems a bit too stiff (85 flex just like my Synergy SL but feels 10x stiffer). I'll track this for updates in the future.

This is what will sell me on it. I'm a stubborn guy who likes his tape a specific way so their grip options really didn't appeal to me. If they offer a plain one that I can tape myself then I'd definitely be interested in trying it out on my new S11 that seems a bit too stiff (85 flex just like my Synergy SL but feels 10x stiffer). I'll track this for updates in the future.

That's exactly what I told Joe a couple months ago. He must have been hearing that a lot because he said then, that there was one on the way.

That's exactly what I told Joe a couple months ago. He must have been hearing that a lot because he said then, that there was one on the way.

It might be more challenging for Joe then it seems at first. I have an Ergo grip that I used enough that the grip wore through and I tore it off. The insides of the grip are skeletal and you just don't realize it because the rubber bridges the gaps. I think just taping it would lead to an odd feeling grip.

I'd guess the opposite. small radius -> smaller circumference -> less material -> less stiffness

Again, I'm just guessing here, but if the sidewalls were the same thickness (as you had originally suggested) while the circumference is made smaller, it would seem that the stiffness would be increased, since the corners and sides are now being reinforced to a greater degree. Bring it an extreme and I think it becomes easier to see. Let's say the circumference of the stick is 1" by 0.5" with 5mm thickness. Now let's increase the stick to 12" by 0.5" with the same 5mm thickness. I'm no engineer, but I'm pretty sure the 12" inch stick wouldn't be as stiff because the 0.5" sides are further apart, so they aren't providing as much reinforcement.

So if I'm correct, that maintaining the same sidewall thickness leads to a stiffer shaft as the diameter is decreased, then manufacturers would have to decrease the sidewall thickness on thinner shafts to ensure they provide comparable stiffnesses. Effectively, adults would be using longer intermediate sticks, which would likely lead to greatly reduced durability.

That said, I think a lot of people might prefer the thickness of intermediate shafts if the stiffnesses were higher, but the decreased durability would become expensive.

Jason, think PVC pipes at the hardware store. If you take a couple lengths of sch.40, one .5" the other 1", the smaller one will bow and bend more easily. I know where you're coming from, it's hard to imagine.

I'm very interested to try some new Oggie grips. I've got a few sticks that could stand to be more flexible. I'm still kind of hesitant, if only for the fact that using these won't let you play with stick length except in making it shorter. I've been trying to trend my sticks shorter but I don't want to have lopped off 7" for an Oggie only to be caught feeling I need it longer.

Any word on the availability of the oggie extensions without the grip?

Do you mean with the built-in flex of the Oggies, but the feel of a composite stick? I haven't heard of that, and I haven't spoken to Joe in a few months, but would you put tape over the composite area? If so, why would you not just put tape over the Oggie itself?

Do you mean with the built-in flex of the Oggies, but the feel of a composite stick? I haven't heard of that, and I haven't spoken to Joe in a few months, but would you put tape over the composite area? If so, why would you not just put tape over the Oggie itself?

Perhaps because that could lead to a grip thicker than preferred. Also, I think most people asking for the gripless Oggies want the classic not the ergo and don't want the thicker butt end either.

Just curious, but, are other companies composite plugs tested?

The only composite plugs we could find are the shorty 4" Nike plugs as well as the stock Easton 4" plugs. These are too short to have any measurable grip flex stiffness though.

If anyone has any long TPS senior composite plugs we would love to test them. Send an e-mail on our website form if you are an LHS that has some new ones.

Any other manufacturers of 6" plus retail senior composite end plugs besides TPS?

Perhaps because that could lead to a grip thicker than preferred.

That's possible, but I believe Joe once told me the grips start out about 80% of the diameter of a shaft, so you'd have to add a lot of tape to make it seem thicker than preferred, especially when comparing it to a tape job on a standard shaft.

I'd guess the opposite. small radius -> smaller circumference -> less material -> less stiffness

Again, I'm just guessing here, but if the sidewalls were the same thickness (as you had originally suggested) while the circumference is made smaller, it would seem that the stiffness would be increased, since the corners and sides are now being reinforced to a greater degree. Bring it an extreme and I think it becomes easier to see. Let's say the circumference of the stick is 1" by 0.5" with 5mm thickness. Now let's increase the stick to 12" by 0.5" with the same 5mm thickness. I'm no engineer, but I'm pretty sure the 12" inch stick wouldn't be as stiff because the 0.5" sides are further apart, so they aren't providing as much reinforcement.

So if I'm correct, that maintaining the same sidewall thickness leads to a stiffer shaft as the diameter is decreased, then manufacturers would have to decrease the sidewall thickness on thinner shafts to ensure they provide comparable stiffnesses. Effectively, adults would be using longer intermediate sticks, which would likely lead to greatly reduced durability.

That said, I think a lot of people might prefer the thickness of intermediate shafts if the stiffnesses were higher, but the decreased durability would become expensive.

True for me, the smaller shaft makes stickhandling such a breeze. Not sure why that is though.

As promised, I'm updating the thread with my feedback after an additional 7 games.

My first impressions have held true. I still feel like I get some extra heaviness to my shot with this grip. I'm less conscious of the grip flexing which is a good thing. I have better luck getting off one timers and I feel my shot is heavier, especially from the point.

I'm not sold on the pro-style grip. In a warm rink it is fine, but with our recent cold snap, several of our rinks have been in the 20s. The grip is very dense feeling, there is little or no squish to it and can be just a bit slippery. My gloves are well worn Fuel 130s and Bauer one 70s, neither of which I consider to have grippy palms, so that may be contributing to the slip.

In summary I really like the stiffer flex and in a warm rink I actually prefer the pro style covering. But in balmy Minnesota winters I prefer the rubbery grip on the older grips. Not enough to make me swap out my new grip though. I'll buy these stiffer grips when they become available at retail.

I'm already an Oggie convert, but if the rubbery grip or flexy feel is keeping you from buying, ask Joe to release these new grips for sale. I think they are a winner.

Bought the Oggie ergo Jr. grip for my sons stick - he was getting a new stick so I decided to add it to his outgoing (now a bakup) stick.

Didn;t like it at all because:

1) Had to cut quite a bit off - so it is not reversible - big bummer.

2) Grip too thin at hand spot.

3) People all look at you funny like "teach him how to shoot correctly" instead of relying upon gimmicks.

4) Just too much of a departure from what already works (traditional stick ends are not that bad - if it aint broke don't fix it).

5) Could not get any more power, whip, flex than before (did not improve shot at all).

Sorry, just didn't like it and felt like I had wasted $20. May be fine for some but not for me.