Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom351

Kick Point

I hear the term "Kick Point" thrown around a lot with composite sticks. What exactly makes a kick point on a shaft or blade. Is it simply a spot that is designed to flex (as Focus Flex allegedly does?)? Also, do all standard shafts have a kick point? If yes, are you screwed if you cut the shaft down on the blade end? Also, what about wood sticks (no defined kick point?).

Or is kick point just where the taper starts for a shaft and/or blade?

Thanks,

TD

The kick point is where the stick flexes the most. All sticks have them. The lower the kick point the more accurate the shots will be. If you cut a standard shaft at the blade end you will change the kick point of the stick.

The lower the kick point the more accurate the shots will be.

Easton's marketing department has done its job if you believe that to be fact

The lower the kick point, the less flex between the kickpoint and the blade. The less it flexes, the more consistant it will be. Most sticks tend to flex over the length of the taper so a longer taper, for me, tends to simply launch a puck higher and with less consistancy.

The lower the kick point the more accurate the shots will be.

Easton's marketing department has done its job if you believe that to be fact

I don't see the difference in accuracy between my synthesis and z-bubbles. And that reflexive load and release crap is a crok. I find the higher the kick point the earlier I can snap a shot off. The best example of this was when I had a broken Response combined with a T-flex graphite blade. I wish a company would step up and make T-flex blades.

Wouldn't the effective "kick point" just be wherever you lower hand is positioned? This will be the fulcrum of any flex that you cause.

Wouldn't the effective "kick point" just be wherever you lower hand is positioned? This will be the fulcrum of any flex that you cause.

Constant flex and dimensions would probably make this true. Tapered shafts narrow down towards its hosel and any kind of shaft doesn't flex the same way throughout its entirety.

"kick point" is when you have been successfully brainwashed by easton.

Funny that you guys all say that when Inno was the first to make a point of where the kick point was on their shafts.

That's right, I keep forgetting how evil Easton is. Every manufacturer out there pushes the kick point as one of the benefits of their new sticks. And a lower kick point does help you to be more accurate more often because by flexing the stick closer to the blade there is less chance for blade deflection.

When I went from regular standard shafts to the Z Bubble I found that my shots were more consistently on target and again when I moved to the tapered low connection shafts I experienced the same improvement.

that's probably because you got better at shooting

Nope, I didn't switch to a Z-Bubble until my mid 20's. Having played the game my whole life I already had a very good shot.

That's right, I keep forgetting how evil Easton is.

Who the heck said that?? I think easton makes some fine products, granted their marketing might be a bit much at times, but I haven't really heard anyone harping on easton quality here.

That's right, I keep forgetting how evil Easton is.

Who the heck said that?? I think easton makes some fine products, granted their marketing might be a bit much at times, but I haven't really heard anyone harping on easton quality here.

Well, when someone makes the allusion to Hitler when saying something about Easton that is the only conclusion that makes sense.

Dont get me wrong, I love easton sticks, but i just think the marketing (other companies are bad as well) has become rediculous. Hockey is hockey, not computer programing. I dont need to hear about 27 inch taper textalium matrix engineered kickpoint bs. You pick up a stick that feels good and use it.

Those big words are what sells the product. It might not affect the purchasing habits of some of the "more informed" players on here but it will sure as hell make all of the younger guys drool. Look what happened when Easton threw out the word "therma-tec". Several threads starting popping up and lots of guys seemed like they would give their left nut for a stealth.

The fact of the matter is that technology is a part of sports now a days. Everyone has their own viewpoints on what technology actually works. Why can't technology help such an equipment intensive sport like hockey?

Look at the summer Olympics, technology is everywhere. From the swimsuits in swimming, (a sport where I'm sure no one ever thought technology would be involved), to javelins, to cycling, to discus, and I haven't seen it but damn, I'm sure there is some hot new paddle tennis or badmitton racquets being used this year as well.

Technology is here, get over it.

I believe the complaint is that the marketing seems to be imply a greater benefit than anyone actually gains from a product. As well as the fact that every technology will benefit every player. A fact that is generally inaccurate in the youth market. Not surprisingly, they are also the most swayed by the marketing.