Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Didn't want to start a new thread, and I apologize if this has been answered but it has been a little while since the X-02 and X-01 have been released, and I'm curious to any feedback from anyone who owns one has on their machine (performance, durability, quality).

My X02 has been great. I cannot say a bad thing about it other than I am not sold onthe bat gauge. During the winter I sharpened roughly 100 times. I am now down to 3 pair every 2 weeks. I think I am a better sharpener now so the quality of the edge is better and thus fewer sharpenings. I also know 2 other guys locally that purchased the X01 and they too say good things.

Didn't want to start a new thread, and I apologize if this has been answered but it has been a little while since the X-02 and X-01 have been released, and I'm curious to any feedback from anyone who owns one has on their machine (performance, durability, quality).

Well I own an X01 and I did have some issues with it that I ended up fixing myself because Blackstone said they never saw, or heard of, the same problems I had. The holder is not a high quality piece and I ended up having to grind the two bottom posts to make them even with each other. I've heard of this with other holders as well, so I'm not the only one. I also replaced the cam screw that was digging into the cam and causing a groove. I used a screw that has a rotating tip that can also angle to follow the cam. Big improvement.

The second issue was the arbor that holds the wheel was drilled at an angle and also not concentric, so the grinding wheel had a slight hop to it that would cause a bad vibration. They sent me a new arbor, same problem, so I sent the original arbor back to them to check out. Haven't heard anything yet, that was about 2 months ago...

I ended up re-drilling the center hole of the arbor and making a shim to fit the motor shaft. The machine is almost perfect now. The only problem left is the arbor nut is also drilled non-concentric so there is still a bit of vibration.

The motor is nice, and so is the table top. The batgage takes a little getting used to and I probably wouldn't purchase it again, I would go with the quick square or pro square from Blademaster I think?.

The bottom line is if you want FBV they are the only game in town.

Thanks for the review. Ever since I heard of the sharpeners I have been thinking about an X01. The thread has been dominated by the FBV discussion (Which sounds incredible) Nice to hear a review about the machine itself.

Yah, definitely appreciated guys. Really want the X-02, and its nice to hear your guys' thoughts. For they guys with the X-01, wish you had gone with the X-02? (big difference is the spinner, right?)

The X02 spins at 6900 RPM and the X01 spins at 5500 RPM. The X02 is larger and heavier, and has a larger table top, all of which are good things. The skate holders are the same on both, as well as the spinners they use. I couldn't justify the X02's larger price difference so the X01 suits me well.

I had at least one person ask about the screw I used for the clamp so here is the link.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90210a111/=1k06vd

It was around $6 plus shipping, or if you have a McMaster Carr distributor locally you can probably get it delivered there and save the shipping costs. I removed the burr that was left in the cam arm from the original screw using a grinding wheel, a Dremel would work too. That will give the new screw a good finish to seat against. The smooth operation of the new screw will allow you to get repeatable clamping force which is important for getting repeatable results going from skate to skate, or even when checking the edges for squareness before doing a final pass. This seems to be more of a problem with larger, heavier skates as the holder will sag with the weight of the boot.

Edited by chiefs17

Anyone hear the news that Blademaster is supposedly developing or coming out with soon the same technology as the Blackstone Flat Bottom V??? I've heard it from a few different sources but havent found anything on their site or seen anything about it.

I was told they were developing a product to retro fit all their machines that would produce the FBV. I've been thinking of all the ways this is possible and havent come up with too many. The Blackstone has a very unique way of inputing the FBV on the wheel.

They have something coming up and it is being unveiled at the Coaches show down in Naples. However, this has been known in the past weeks and it will most likely infringe on Blackstone's patents.

The Blackstone has a very unique way of inputing the FBV on the wheel.

I know of one way it can be done, but once again, will infringe.

Is it similar shape to the Rebellion 3-D blade?

"When skating forward, you use mainly the center blade, surface sharpened for heightened speed. This center blade is about three times the width of a conventional blade. Designed to glide on ice, instead of digging in like a conventional blade, it offers less friction for faster less laborious skating. When turning, the radius-sharpened side blade takes over ensuring the entire blade grips the ice surface without gouging."

maybe a stupid question, but does blackstone have the patent on the l\_/l pattern or the process of putting the pattern on the sharpening stone?

Im probably totally wrong here but how can Blackstone have the rights to the \_/ design. Thats like saying whoever came up with first hollow for radius sharpenings owns the rights to that. Like i said maybe im wrong, maybe blackstone took out patents on these ideas but to me there always two roads that lead to the finish line. Maybe Blademaster has developed a technique that is similar but doest infringe on Blackstones patents and in the end has the same finish product!

Im probably totally wrong here but how can Blackstone have the rights to the \_/ design. Thats like saying whoever came up with first hollow for radius sharpenings owns the rights to that. Like i said maybe im wrong, maybe blackstone took out patents on these ideas but to me there always two roads that lead to the finish line. Maybe Blademaster has developed a technique that is similar but doest infringe on Blackstones patents and in the end has the same finish product!

So if you're wrong, why even post?

Because you never know, maybe i wasnt... Just seems to me it would be pretty hard to Patent the FBV itself. I can see the tools used to accomplish the FBV as patented but not the actual end result. Why post if you have nothing good to say???

They say on the Blackstone FBV web site that it is patent pending, both the FBV and the Spinner dressing system. Who owns the patent?

If they went through the trouble and cost of getting a patent for the fbv, then they probably covered all bases and included flat bottom radius cuts as well. They even mention the flat bottom radius in the tech article on the fbv site. I seriously doubt that Blademaster would pursue something like fbv before checking to see if Blackstone has the patent on it.

If Blackstone simply purchased the right to use the fbv from the inventor, or original owner of the patent, then Blademaster may be able to use it as long as they purchase the rights too. If Blackstone was smart, they would have signed a contract with the owner of the patent (if it is not them) to give them exclusivity. In which case Blademaster is screwed! Should be interesting to see the outcome.