Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Well, Steve, that's exactly what I'm doing.

Just finished chillin in the pool -

CIMG0015.jpg

and 4 beers so far.

I hate this place. I was sweating my ass off sharpening. Ugh.

Ran the machine and it seemed to have tightened up a bit.

Are you thinking the belt slipped? Are the pulleys the belt runs in geared?

No, it was so hot the belt expanded.

Does anyone else own a Blackstone Spinner w/FBV in Europe? Or is it just me. Currently in Ukraine.

Just curious.

JR, if it wasn't anyone else, I'd have to call BS. Wow, that is hot. I wonder if a belt with kevlar fibers or other not so thermally sensitive materials could be made available by Blackstone for skating hotbeds like Dubai or JR's garage.

JR, if it wasn't anyone else, I'd have to call BS. Wow, that is hot. I wonder if a belt with kevlar fibers or other not so thermally sensitive materials could be made available by Blackstone for skating hotbeds like Dubai or JR's garage.

When are you going to attempt making a rink on top of your pool!

You do remember he's in FLA now...not Michigan *L* The only ice is in the drinks.

In other news...Fresh FBV sharpening last night...played better than I have in a long time...I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'!

You do remember he's in FLA now...not Michigan *L* The only ice is in the drinks.

In other news...Fresh FBV sharpening last night...played better than I have in a long time...I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'!

Oh I'm well aware where he lives.......my expectation is he will have a compressor and freeze the pool over and put boards around the pool. Make sure you keep the bar!

Is anyone having trouble with their FBV mini spinners. I've been having difficulty getting equally sharp edges even though the edges are the same length ( according to bat gauge). With my 100/50 spinner I can clearly see a steeper edge on one side of the flat. When put on a skate blade that edge is very sharp and seems to stay sharp but the other edge feels about half as keen and needs to be sharpened after about an hour on the ice. The hollow is also deeper on that side of the blade. When compared to the 90/75 visually the hollow on the 100/50 is deeper, but I'm also getting one sharper edge with my 90/75.

Is this common or does anyone have any tips to help me out or is their a chance I got a bad spinner.

thanks.

Have you checked to make sure the spinner is seated properly and is not resting on any debris, such as carbon or wheel grit? Also, if you are basing the square edges exclusively on the bat guage, are you sure it is sitting properly on the skates and is not tilted improperly? Finally, which edge while you are sharpening with the skate in the holder is the one that appears "off", the top edge or the bottom edge as the skate sits in the holder?

Have you checked to make sure the spinner is seated properly and is not resting on any debris, such as carbon or wheel grit? Also, if you are basing the square edges exclusively on the bat guage, are you sure it is sitting properly on the skates and is not tilted improperly? Finally, which edge while you are sharpening with the skate in the holder is the one that appears "off", the top edge or the bottom edge as the skate sits in the holder?

Thanks mck .Did not check how the spinner was seated. I am confident that i'm reading and using the bat gauge correct and am getting square edges. With the 100/50 it was the bottom edge that was getting much sharper with a visibly deeper hollow toward that edge. To test the spinner I flipped it around, redressed the wheel, changed height on side knobs of holder to rematch where spinner dressed wheel and ended up with the same hollow just opposite (top edge super sharp).With the spinner in with the numbers up the flat dresses the wheel slightly lower than center of the stone.

Klemer, is the stone centered on the spinner? The wheel arbor can be moved up and down, and there is no measurement to tell if it's in the right location, other than visually looking at how it lines up with the spinner. If you do decide to move the arbor, there are 2 set screws in it. One that contacts the motor shaft, and the other one is there to lock the first set screw in place.

One other question. How are you visually seeing a deeper hollow with the fbv sharpening?

I'm joining this thread REALLY late in the game.

My shop's had the FBV for a while, but I've been too stubborn to try it until now. I took a 90/75 to freshly flooded ice... I've never felt anything like that before. It was incredible; felt like I was skating on velvet. But in a good way.

I've never felt anything like that before. It was incredible; felt like I was skating on velvet. But in a good way.

LOL...reminds me of this:

"I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable."

-George Louis Costanza

My shop's had the FBV for a while, but I've been too stubborn to try it until now. I took a 90/75 to freshly flooded ice... I've never felt anything like that before. It was incredible; felt like I was skating on velvet. But in a good way.

I get the best results on 90/75 FBV. I don't actually think that " the time will show" The time has showed. I simply can't go back to traditional hollow.

I get the best results on 90/75 FBV. I simply can't go back to traditional hollow sharpening. Ytied to compare a few time. Big difference. I thank the time has already shown the FBV is here to stay

Edited by Ivan

I was on the ice twice today, once for a 3-hour shinny session in the morning (no flood), and then ran a 2-hour hockey camp in the afternoon without stepping off the ice once.

My steel still feels freshly sharpened.

I was on the ice twice today, once for a 3-hour shinny session in the morning (no flood), and then ran a 2-hour hockey camp in the afternoon without stepping off the ice once.

Were are you getting your FBV done?

Were are you getting your FBV done?

I'm a technician at Hockey Experts.

awesome...i wasn't going to get this done coz i thought only major hockey had it and its so damn far...now i can

Edited by K9 Unit

Most of the National Sports locations have it too.

I've had it done in the Vaughn and Markham stores, and they've done a good job every time.

hockey experts does flat bottom v ^.- which one?

Yup, we've had the Stealths since day one. As far as I know, all three GTA locations have the FBV spinners.

Hummm wonder who's idea that was to put them in there?

Yup, we've had the Stealths since day one. As far as I know, all three GTA locations have the FBV spinners.

Haha... not mine! But I'm glad someone somewhere came up with the idea. :D

Haha... not mine! But I'm glad someone somewhere came up with the idea. :D

your welcome.....