Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

You shouldn't need a cross grinder. Just adjust your holder by how much you are off by and sharpen the skate again, then see if you are closer. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks for the reply! So I turn the the two front knobs that say up and down. I assume you always turn both knobs the same amount of clicks right? Or is there ever a reason you would raise the front or back more?

Thanks for the reply! So I turn the the two front knobs that say up and down. I assume you always turn both knobs the same amount of clicks right? Or is there ever a reason you would raise the front or back more?

Yes turn the front two knobs. When you use your level/gauge measure on a straight area of the blade, once closer to the heel, and once closer to the toe. Then you can adjust the corresponding knob. It is possible for a skate to be out more on one end than the other, that is why you have two knobs. I use about 3 clicks for each line I am out on my gauge by, yours may be different depending on the equipment you use.

Edited by XveritasX

Yes turn the front two knobs. When you use your level/gauge measure on a straight area of the blade, once closer to the heel, and once closer to the toe. Then you can adjust the corresponding knob. It is possible for a skate to be out more on one end than the other, that is why you have two knobs. I use about 3 clicks for each line I am out on my gauge by, yours may be different depending on the equipment you use.

Ok thanks, that helps. What was throwing me off is the blade is not centered on the wheel to get level edges. I had to raise the blade a good amount from the center of the wheel to get level edges.

Your on the right track.

Ok thanks, that helps. What was throwing me off is the blade is not centered on the wheel to get level edges. I had to raise the blade a good amount from the center of the wheel to get level edges.

Looking at the X-01. Can the machine stay in the carrying case while in use, or is the case only for storage/transport?

Also, what is the difference between the various colored wheels (orange, ruby, pink)?

Yep, that's how I have mine. The moisture of a humid Florida garage was getting to screws so I got the case and keep it covered in the meantime.

Pink does better on figure/goal steel, orange and ruby on stainless. I prefer ruby.

Yep, that's how I have mine. The moisture of a humid Florida garage was getting to screws so I got the case and keep it covered in the meantime.

Pink does better on figure/goal steel, orange and ruby on stainless. I prefer ruby.

How are they different? Different grits like sandpaper? Complete noob here, obviously.

How are they different? Different grits like sandpaper? Complete noob here, obviously.

Yes and no. There are different grits to wheels; the most common is 80 grit. When all the same grit, it's moreso defined by the friability of the wheel; the higher that is, the "softer" the wheel is. That is controlled by what they add to the wheel, like chromium and aluminum oxide.

How quiet should an X02 be? Bought a used one and it seems to run fine and is in great condition but when turning on and off it sounds clunky. Can the motor be taken apart and cleaned or is this normal?

Sorry if it was already said, does any one know what FBV is closet to a 1/2 hallow ? I don't know too much about skate sharpening and I'm considering giving FBV a try sometime. Want to make the transition as slowly as possible. Thanks

The majority of guys on my team were used to skating on 1/2" hollows and almost all of them prefer the 95/75, one prefers the 100/50 and one other guy skates on 90/75 like I do. 100/75 will have a lot more bite, much more like 3/8".

mathematically 100/50 is the closes to 1/2" however 95/75 is pretty close as well.

How quiet should an X02 be? Bought a used one and it seems to run fine and is in great condition but when turning on and off it sounds clunky. Can the motor be taken apart and cleaned or is this normal?

its just the belt no need to clean the motor it is sealed.

OK

new problem with my wheels.......

One half used the other new but neither seem to be rounded properly can't get the stone to spin without there being chattering

The machine is not secured so maybe thay will help with vibration but wanted to know if anybody could give me some more insight

thanx

Could be the arbor. I know my machine vibrated like crazy before I bolted it down. It ended up being a bad arbor, out of round and drilled off center. I received a replacement from Blackstone, but it was just as bad, so I ended up machining the imperfections out of it and it's better now, but I still get some vibration, which leads to chatter marks occasionally. I think this may be the arbor nut.

Try this. You know what the machine sounds like with either wheel on it, and the machine not bolted to the table. Before bolting the machine to the bench, take the grinding wheel off and turn the machine on (make sure you re-install the arbor nut - left hand thread!). How does it sound? If there is major improvement, then it could be the grinding wheels.

Now try taking the arbor off. There are 2 set screws, one behind another, that hold the arbor to the motor shaft. Now turn the machine on and notice how quiet it is. This was what led me to check the dimensions on the arbor. The machine alone will spin very smooth and quiet, no need to bolt it down. When I put the arbor on there the machine was trying to walk off the bench it had such a bad vibration.

I've found that if I put a wheel on and get a lot of vibration I can sometimes rotate it (with respect to the arbor) to a point where the vibration is gone. I think I'm effectively "tuning" the wheel's imperfections with respect to the arbor.

Sorry if it was already said, does any one know what FBV is closet to a 1/2 hallow ? I don't know too much about skate sharpening and I'm considering giving FBV a try sometime. Want to make the transition as slowly as possible. Thanks

100/50

Once I get it "tuned" I put a radial sharpie mark on the wheel lined up with a mark that I have put on the arbor and the rear guard, so that if I take the wheel off (for cleaning or whatever) I can put it back on in the same orientation.

OK .......so I pulled everything apart and it seems the big pulley attached to the motor is grinding on the base that the motor is secured too. Is there supose to be something between them? Like a bearing or something, anything?

This X02 won't run properly until I can figure this out.

Going to call Blackstone this week.

Any help between now and then is greatly appreciated

OK .......so I pulled everything apart and it seems the big pulley attached to the motor is grinding on the base that the motor is secured too. Is there supose to be something between them? Like a bearing or something, anything?

This X02 won't run properly until I can figure this out.

Going to call Blackstone this week.

Any help between now and then is greatly appreciated

Call Blackstone. It will be easily resolved.

Clean your spinners.

If that fails, reassemble the dressing arm mechanism. Make sure there isn't any play in it.

I don't think it's the wheel considering both are doing it.

I may be late to the party here, but hopefully I will be able to help someone out but, in regards to spinner cleaning: "Mineral Spirits" works wonders on them, fill up a small container with the mineral spirits, then put the spinners in to soak over night. Next day, whammie! Cutting like new again. A quick google search will give you a ton of results however, I cannot seem to find the specific brand I use. (Don't remember it by name and I'm not at the shop)