Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Nearly 100 pages in the thread, I searched some but am looking for info from D-men who transitioned from a normal ~ 3/4" to FBV. I'm thinking of trying it out as a good way to offset the 9' radius on my skates with a bit more glide, especially while skating backwards. There is some variance on the Blackstone site for that range. I was thinking of starting with a 95/75 based on what I saw here;http://www.blackston...rison_Chart.pdf

Thought process of that it was better to have a little bit better deeper feel than not if it wasn't working out that well at least I have edges.

Thanks for the help and insight

I would start with a 90/75, try that then try a 90/50 and compare the two and see which you like better. The Blackstone chart is not so precise, hence 100/50, 90/1 and 95/75 all around 1/2-9/16 bite range. So best to try one then compare. I will tell you, if you really like a 3/4 hollow, you prob won't like the bite of any FBV with more bite than 90/75.

i have a spinner thats written 1/2 on it...............its this the same as 100/50?

No, it's a regular 1/2 hollow. You will have to buy your FBV spinners.

damn damn..

im pretty sure they were mislabeled... i have been using these spinners for 2 years and they definitely feel like FBV.

when i bought my X02, it came with 100/50 and 90/75 according to my order. but the labels i got on my 2 spinners were 1/2 and 90/75.

i dont believe ive been playing with a regular 1/2 hollow all along....i mean, i saw a huge difference as soon as i tried it.....it feels so good that ive been promoting the 100/50 radius as a "sick sharpening" on these very forums.

Edited by lpgbackups

If you have access to a 1/2" hollow measuring tool, drop it in and if it fits, you got a 1/2 spinner. You can also put a quarter on ta sharpened blade, if you have a FBV, it will clearly be flat in the middle.

Edited by jimmy

This is all photos of my super spinner labeled as 1/2

Keep in mind, its been used though 3 grinding wheels already, so its about at 75% of its lifespan.

IMG_0572_zps2d15915c.jpg

IMG_0575_zps8326e164.jpg

IMG_0576_zps72c9831e.jpg

IMG_0577_zps5f21f9b6.jpg

IMG_0578_zps51daa475.jpg

Edited by lpgbackups

Keep in mind, its been used though 3 grinding wheels already, so its about at 75% of its lifespan.

It this (above) a true statement??? I was under the impression that until you get a bare (metal) spot the spinner is still good. I have done way more than 3 wheels on my spinners.

BTW... Looks radial to me

Edited by AfftonDad

thats crazy.....ive been thinking i was using FBV for 2 years, when i was just on a regular hollow...

i dont know why i felt a superior glide....im sure its not the mental effect...maybe blackstone machines give you a better glide even on regular hollows ...

anyways...thats crazy.

cant wait to try FBV then....i'll be superman.

Edited by lpgbackups

No never

I ordered my X02 with 100/50 and 90/75

When i assembled it i put in the 1/2 spinner thinking it was the old way to call 100/50 which is the second most biting FBV which was my first choice.

It felt amazingly good so i had no reason to try 90/75 then.

Then 2 years later i realized 100/50 would translate into 2/1 and not 1/2 so i posted here.

But i was 100% convinced i was skating on FBV

Anyways , if FBV is even better than that i cant wait to try it!

This is pretty funny. 2 years ago the machine came with a half inch spinner and if you wanted FBV you would have to order it. Now I do believe you get to choose, and most people choose FBV. In saying all of that what data we have collected from the difference between an older single point dresser to what we use now with the spinners people did notice a difference in their performance. Basically if you do try the 100/50 which In my opinion is the most efficient cut (agility\speed) you will notice a dramatic difference. I would really like to hear how you make out..... On another note I want to see your setup. I have been talking to some players that are doing their own skates as well as some of their team mates (because of the lock-out), I will start to post the pictures that they send me, Their pretty proud of their setups but I know from seeing other posts that the guys on this forum are more elabrate.

Edited by SAK

boy, I must say that today I've asked my sharpener to profile my runner to a 7" radius and to sharpen it to a x8, god it was good!! never felt that fast! I could finally catch up guys as before with a longer radius, I just felt I couldn't get that level of performance. Learning everyday this is great!

Here is my setup at home. I traded in my triple head for a prototype X-02 some of the features that I have never made it past the prototype however after using it we probably should have....

photo1_zpsc68fffac.jpg

photo_zps4c7ecb6c.jpg

Revolver is just too cool LOL..it's too much work taking the cover off, reading the fine print on the spinner and loading it every time.

Suggestion - can you guys make and sell an adapter from the current exhaust to a common vacuum hose size or PVC tubing? I have never found one, it's a weird diameter.

Cover that rotates, vacuum inlet for blade dust coming off of the wheel, revolver for spinners. That is sweet! I'm going to have to see if I can come up with the vacuum port and rotatable cover for my x-01 (I have not had the cover on since the first day).