Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

PMSPAUL

Most of the kids like the FBV 90/75 and a few liked the "bite" of the FBV 100/75. Some of the coaches have gone back and forth between std. ROH 5/8 and FBV 90/75. But none of the kids have asked to go back from FBV to std ROH.

With respect to the holder, I have a Maximum Edge Tri-lie holder that I use for another machine and I almost never use the front "pitch" knob. On the Blackstone tri-lie holder, I set up the holder and only make changes with the front two knobs. I think it works good for me to keep track of the number of clicks up/down necessary to make the change to the squareness of the blade, i.e. if the guage shows an edge high or low by .001 then keep track of the number of clicks up or down to correct for that deviation in edge height.

Your final question, no I do not move all three knobs even to move the entire blade up or down. I simply adjust the front two knobs equally up or down to correct the deviation from being square.

Hope this helps.

PMSPAUL

Most of the kids like the FBV 90/75 and a few liked the "bite" of the FBV 100/75. Some of the coaches have gone back and forth between std. ROH 5/8 and FBV 90/75. But none of the kids have asked to go back from FBV to std ROH.

mckjim,

That was all very helpful, thankyou. I want to try the 90/75, just for comparison, next time my skates need sharpening. Other than dings from other skates or objects, the 100/75 edges are holding up well after about 10 sessions of playing and coaching. The only reason I could see to going back to a ROH is if you can't find the right "bite" in the available FBV's. I love mine.

Thanks again,

-Paul

The upsides are too great, in my opinion, to worry about the bite. I just adjusted, no biggie. The biggest adjustment is speed control. It took me about 3 icetimes to figure that out.

I know one of my spinners has markings on it, but I think the FBV spinner does not. If it does it is reallly small! :lol:

I will make sure I am putting stamped side down.

all mine came marked except the 1/2, which was on the machine when I got it. I had a 3/8, 5/8, 100/70, & 90/70.

One problem I had initially was that the screw was putting too much pressure on the spinners so when I went to dress it it wouldn't spin. Blackstone was really helpful. I had to clamp down part of the screw to alleviate the pressure from the spring. After a while it worked out.

It's taking a bit to get used to the diminished counter space especially with some size 13 Grafs!!

Right now I haven't had too much time to get the boys used to the FBV so hopefully this weekend I will be able to talk to some of them and get them trying it out.

Good returns on the 1/2, 5/8, and 3/8 so far though.

Edited by VakarLajos

Got to skate on it tonight. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions as I also got my steel profiled and minor pitched forward, so it made for an akward skating feeling. I did notice some better gliding but not too much and definitely felt like I was grabbing in turns more. I want to get a few more skates on it before I make any assessments but none the less I did like how it felt so far.

Got to skate on it tonight. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions as I also got my steel profiled and minor pitched forward, so it made for an akward skating feeling. I did notice some better gliding but not too much and definitely felt like I was grabbing in turns more. I want to get a few more skates on it before I make any assessments but none the less I did like how it felt so far.

Bob did the FBV along with a combo radius and forward pitch for me. The first time skating on it was a whole new experience. While I could definitely feel the difference in the glide and bite, I was more concerned with my discomfort due to the pitch change. The second time out on the ice was a lot better, and the third time I could really begin to appreciate the effects of FBV as I had almost completely adjusted to the forward pitch. In other words, give yourself one or two more skates to adjust to the pitch change and you'll really appreciate the FBV.

Bob did the FBV along with a combo radius and forward pitch for me. The first time skating on it was a whole new experience. While I could definitely feel the difference in the glide and bite, I was more concerned with my discomfort due to the pitch change. The second time out on the ice was a lot better, and the third time I could really begin to appreciate the effects of FBV as I had almost completely adjusted to the forward pitch. In other words, give yourself one or two more skates to adjust to the pitch change and you'll really appreciate the FBV.

Bob did the same for me and I knew it would be uncomfortable, he made it clear in the 2 page summary he sent me about my sharpening. I'm not worried just eager to get back on the ice to try it again.

Don't worry guys this is the part that sepperates skate sharpeners. stop using the back pitch knob and just use the two front adjustment knobs to make the holder go up and down. Another tip is the center of the wheel is not necessarily what you are lining up to. You need to line up to the apex of the radius of the dresser. The only way to do this is to sharpen the skate use the guage that tells you how much your off or on, and make the appropriate adjustments. It is a learning curve and it won't take long before you are doing it in your sleep.

Finding this to be very true. Been experimenting with a pair of lower end skates from my stock before sharpening my One95s. Played a drop in game earlier today on 90/75, WOW! The difference is VERY noticeable.

Quite pleased with my sharpening skills too. On my sharpener it's easy. The only thing that seems to remain to to be worked on is the final polishing pass with either Lube Tube or Fine Shine. Visually it looks like I'm getting better polishing results with regular spinners. Actually, with regular spinners polishing seems to be perfect. But I've been using only one kind of grinding wheel (I have a regular portable spinner sharpener,(not X0-1 or X0-2). The grinding wheel I'm using is Blackstone Black Walnut. Maybe I should play with other wheels. Any advice here Steve?

Thanks

Now seem to be getting better results with Lube Tube. Nice mirror finish and excellent glude and cornering.

Bob did the same for me and I knew it would be uncomfortable, he made it clear in the 2 page summary he sent me about my sharpening. I'm not worried just eager to get back on the ice to try it again.

Let me guess, 8/13 compound radius with a slight(or "medium") forward pitch so you bend your knees more.

Let me guess, 8/13 compound radius with a slight(or "medium") forward pitch so you bend your knees more.

Bingo. First time on it my quads were burning and my lower back tightened up pretty badly. Fully adjusted by about the third or fourth time on them.

I'm good eh? Didn't even have to ask you a question and I knew what was best for skaters of your type. Including the member that PMed me that got the same thing done to his skates... I knew it and I didn't even know he had work done. I'm just amazing.

I'm good eh? Didn't even have to ask you a question and I knew what was best for skaters of your type. Including the member that PMed me that got the same thing done to his skates... I knew it and I didn't even know he had work done. I'm just amazing.

Wow, you must be proud of yourself, you found 5 people on MSH that have a similar radius. You get a gold star for that one. We do a lot of 8/13's as that combo works great, especially on the common skate sizes in the 8-10 range with skaters of similar styles. If you are trying to imply that 8/13 is all we do, you are sadly mistaken. We offer a variety of radius and combo radius and pitches and use them all. Mods, let's keep this thread on the FBV track, if you want to move this garbage to another thread, go for it.

I have the majority of my players skating on some sort of comb radius from Bob and not one, not one is on a 8-13. I also have most of them on the FBV, and interestingly enough they are all on the same FBV even though they have tried all of the shapes that are available what does that mean to you ol great one?

I have the majority of my players skating on some sort of comb radius from Bob and not one, not one is on a 8-13. I also have most of them on the FBV, and interestingly enough they are all on the same FBV even though they have tried all of the shapes that are available what does that mean to you ol great one?

how old are your players?

Bob also did my profile and FBV and I couldn't be happier with the service I received. He was extremely helpful in listening to what I was looking for to match up my new skates with my old ones. I got them back and they were absolutely perfect.

By the way, mine aren't 8/13 either. 8/14 for me. The results have been great for me. I'm skating better than ever.

I coach a team of peewees and I also maintain the bantam and squirt teams skates, their ages range from 10-15. I have both a Pro Sharp 2001 and now a Blackstone X02 sharpener. We send our blades to Bob for profiling and then I take it from there. With his help we have been able to improve the skating abilty of many of the kids in this community, the FBV is taking this to a new level.

Wow, you must be proud of yourself, you found 5 people on MSH that have a similar radius. You get a gold star for that one. We do a lot of 8/13's as that combo works great, especially on the common skate sizes in the 8-10 range with skaters of similar styles. If you are trying to imply that 8/13 is all we do, you are sadly mistaken. We offer a variety of radius and combo radius and pitches and use them all. Mods, let's keep this thread on the FBV track, if you want to move this garbage to another thread, go for it.

No it's the fact that two people I know personally, then other randoms seem to be "needing" a forward pitch with a compound radius. The odd thing is the two that I personally know... One shouldn't adjust because he's one of the better and smoother skaters around, the other would probably benefit from a skating class over a profiling but he's only been playing 3 years. I just find it odd that these guys need the same treatment, especially considering one has a rather deep knee bend and the other is a stiff legger. :huh:

I have to correct myself as I just checked my skating profile and Bob did give me the 8/14 and not the 8/13. I apologize to everyone for my mistake, as I'm sure it fueled this squabble a bit. In Bob's defense, even if he is giving the same profile to tons of other people, it is working well for me, as I've seen in improvement in my skating in just a short period of time.

I think the problem may be that when doing profiling via the internet, Bob can only go by what the person fills out on the skater questionnaire form. I may be wrong, but I would imagine that the key considerations Bob uses are height/weight, experience and position when determining a combo radius, as he obviously doesn't have the ability to watch the person skate and determine what they need on an individual basis. That is certainly not his fault, and as someone who is nowhere near a LHS that offers this service, I appreciate having the option of sending my runners to Bob.

Lohnman: the reason I asked how old your players are was because I assumed you coached kids and therefore it was unlikely that Bob would give them combo radius the same as a 225 lb fat man such as myself. :D

I have to correct myself as I just checked my skating profile and Bob did give me the 8/14 and not the 8/13. I apologize to everyone for my mistake, as I'm sure it fueled this squabble a bit. In Bob's defense, even if he is giving the same profile to tons of other people, it is working well for me, as I've seen in improvement in my skating in just a short period of time.

I think the problem may be that when doing profiling via the internet, Bob can only go by what the person fills out on the skater questionnaire form. I may be wrong, but I would imagine that the key considerations Bob uses are height/weight, experience and position when determining a combo radius, as he obviously doesn't have the ability to watch the person skate and determine what they need on an individual basis. That is certainly not his fault, and as someone who is nowhere near a LHS that offers this service, I appreciate having the option of sending my runners to Bob.

Lohnman: the reason I asked how old your players are was because I assumed you coached kids and therefore it was unlikely that Bob would give them combo radius the same as a 225 lb fat man such as myself. :D

That's my point.