Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Tell your sharpener to not overheat your steel, I had ONE90 and ONE95 before any person on this board ever did and I NEVER experienced steel breakage.

No way will a sharpener temper the steel enough to cause it to break. First of all, poor sharpening might overheat a very small portion of the blade localized to the hollow. This might reduce the amount of time the blade will stay sharp, but not the overall strength of the blade.

Think about it, if a "small portion" of the blade is overheated that can cause a fracture to develop from the embrittlement....that fracture can allow a crack to develop which would run into the main body of the blade. I'm reading Fracture & Fatigue Control In Structures for a course right now and its amazing how a small damaged area can lead to catastrophic failure.

Ships have broken in two and sunk from the fracture that began from a weld arc strike on a steel plate.....a crack on the edge of a blade could easily extend out from the hollow and nor remain localized.

Edited by Zamboni

One small weak point can lead to a breakage later on... how do you think sticks break when you accept a pass?

Deathtron, that's pretty much how I feel. I can skate longer and harder and still be less tired than before. Overall speed, no change as far as I can tell. The other advantage I have is that I can cut harder and my start is better because of the deeper edges(coming from 3/4").

I was worried at first that this would make me lazy but I'm having a blast skating all over the ice and not being tired.

So what I am hearing from you guys is....I should have more of my stores with the FBV sharpening?? Who is on the GTA or Ontario???

I can do

London

Barrie

Brampton

Markham (has it already)

Concord (has it already)

Oakville (has it already)

Mississauga (Dundas Location)

Cambridge (coming in Feb)

Whitby (coming in Feb)

And possibly more next year....

I was in to my LHS in Scarborough last night and they now offer the FB-V. The store is called Hockey Experts (Kennedy Commons) Kennedy Rd and hwy 401.

Your Welcome......all the same company!

Oldtrainerguy: This may have been answered somewhere in the previous 33 pages, but are you talking about the National Sports in Oakville (I'm in Oakville)?

Is the cost the same as a regular sharpening?

Oldtrainerguy: This may have been answered somewhere in the previous 33 pages, but are you talking about the National Sports in Oakville (I'm in Oakville)?

Is the cost the same as a regular sharpening?

Yes it is so if you had a Skate Pass its probably the cheapist anywhere!

One small weak point can lead to a breakage later on... how do you think sticks break when you accept a pass?

Deathtron, that's pretty much how I feel. I can skate longer and harder and still be less tired than before. Overall speed, no change as far as I can tell. The other advantage I have is that I can cut harder and my start is better because of the deeper edges(coming from 3/4").

I was worried at first that this would make me lazy but I'm having a blast skating all over the ice and not being tired.

I was coming from 3/8", so the whole sharpness thing isnt going to do too much for me. If anything, with the forward profile I got from NO-icing, I still felt on my heels too much. Also, at one point, I dug in to do a sharp turn and ended up going into a nice 360, it was a bit tough to pull out. So, still some getting used to for me.

Zach

Just got back from skating for the first time with the FBV and there is definitely an increase glide with the same amount of bite on turns (was using 1/2" before and have a 100/75 with the FBV). It is really nice. Can't really comment on the speed because I was the only one on the ice for stick and puck. I'm playing with a pretty high level group later tonight so I'll be able to compare my speed then. Overall I'm very happy.

THIS makes me drooooool, The start of our man cave, me and my boys. Received the X02 and decided to take the equipment room to a new level. I added a vacuum system to the Kobalt work bench I got from Lowe's. The bench is great 3 drawers and an over head storage that I use to hold my, "next ups". I bought Dust control fittings from Rockler wood working. I have a suction gate at the wheel dressing exhaust. This controls the amount of suction I get at the wheel or while dressing. The other fitting that catches skate dust is called a big gulp, it is 10" w x 16" wide.

The vacuum is a 5.5 hp, 5 gallon Shop vac. I reworked the tubing to 2.5" from the standard 1.5". I have an electrician coming to work on some electrical then I will be done. Pretty sweet set up for the house.....PIMP my X02. The boys are going to use the table as a place to put all the hockey decals they get.

img3834ai1.th.jpg

img3836ss4.th.jpg

img3830ai3.th.jpg

img3838ri9.th.jpg

img3833oc9.th.jpg

img3831tj3.th.jpg

img3824nj0.th.jpg

img3835as9.th.jpg

Edited by mnpucker

VERY nice setup - my first portable exhaust setup that I had dreamed up years ago was going to be EXACTLY like that - one behind the wheel and the big dust collector tray, with some sort of a switch/gate to control suction. Never got the portable to do it with, but now that I do, and seeing that you did exactly what I wanted to do, now I know it's possible.

How did you get the collector tray to stay up?

5.5 hp, 5 gallon. It is available at most stores, different color depending on where you go. You might be confused about the hose diameter? This vac has the lock on hose and the stock hose is 1.5". The threaded connector however is 2.5"! Huge bonus, I was looking for connectors and adapters everywhere and there is not one. The 2.5 inch hose threads directly onto the vac and I hose clamped it for good measure.

This picture shows it pretty well, if you click it you can see a larger image....

img3834qh5.th.jpg

Oh one other thing, I did not install a blastgate at the big mouth. I did not want to add weight and bulk so I just use a plastic ball my kids had laying around to toss in there. This allows me to have max suction at the exhaust tube when I dress the wheel.

It is the red ball...works great, it is a ball out of a ball pit.

img3825vz3.th.jpg

Hey i have a question, how often do you dress the wheel? After my last coat the wheel blackens, is it necessary to dress that off ?

The FBV really is incredable. SAK can confirm how dissapointed I was with

the original spinner system to the point that I ordered the diamond dresser

system to replace the spinner on our stealth. Steve talked me into trying

the FBV before switching, thank god. We do on average 300 pr a week and

our serious hockey customers just love the FBV. We have the number 1 rated

cjahl team in the country, salmon arm silverbacks, and they love this sharpening.

Thank you Blackstone for making my job so much more enjoyable.

What hollow FBVs did you get and and which ones you use most?

Thanks

100-75 is the most popular by far Ivan

Hey i have a question, how often do you dress the wheel? After my last coat the wheel blackens, is it necessary to dress that off ?

Not sure if the black stuff makes a difference, my guess is no. But if it bugs you I know that a bar of soap works as well. The equipment manager, back when I played, rubbed a light coat of soap on the blade for the final pass. Not sure what brand it was though.

Ivory. 99.44% pure. :)

mn - you're probably using too much wax or oil - you should be able to do a couple of pair between dresses. But with the Spinner, it's a light dress, so you could run it and take a little bit off, but no need to take all of it off.

Does anybody know of any LHS' in Northern California doing a Flat-Bottom V?

east west hockey has a blackstone. But I don't know if they have the spinner yet. I think I read in an earlier post, if you let blackstone know they'd call them and try to sell them on the FBV if they dont have it already

Does anybody know of any LHS' in Northern California doing a Flat-Bottom V?

east west hockey has a blackstone. But I don't know if they have the spinner yet. I think I read in an earlier post, if you let blackstone know they'd call them and try to sell them on the FBV if they dont have it already

I was there today getting my kids' skates sharpened. I ask the guy (it wasn't Jason) if they're going to start doing the Flat-Bottom V on their Blackstone. He had no idea what an Flat-Bottom V was.

Sorry if I've missed it in this thread... but is there any shop near Schaumburg, Illinois that can do a 100/75 cut? I'll be there this weekend for a drag racing exposition and would love to get my skates done if possible! Thanks for any help.

ps... my hope is to not have to travel any great distance in the Chitown area from Schaumburg if possible :)

The FBV really is incredable. SAK can confirm how dissapointed I was with

the original spinner system to the point that I ordered the diamond dresser

system to replace the spinner on our stealth. Steve talked me into trying

the FBV before switching, thank god. We do on average 300 pr a week and

our serious hockey customers just love the FBV. We have the number 1 rated

cjahl team in the country, salmon arm silverbacks, and they love this sharpening.

Thank you Blackstone for making my job so much more enjoyable.

What hollow FBVs did you get and and which ones you use most?

Thanks

100-75 is the most popular by far Ivan

Appreciate it, Cano!

Got on the phone and called Noicing. Filled out the form and faxed in. Had a reply via email discussing the radius and cut that I'd want to use less than 20 minutes later. He said that the 100/50 may be what I want to consider over the 100/75, but I'll have to think about that first. Talk about customer service, wow. I'm probably going to just buy another set of blades from them already done. Then I can keep the current ones to skate on outdoor stuff and not worry about things so much. I hate to go on outdoor ice and then back inside. Pretty quick to change out blades to go back indoors.

Edited by Too Old

Is it a conventional Blackstone?

No Spinner = no FBV

True.

I get calls from folks telling me someone told them I have a laser sharpener. I mainly sharpen new skates bought from me because of lack of time. So I have to telll them , it's actually a quantum sharpener:)

Is anyone having problems with kid skates? The holder just does not like small skates.

Putting them on and off the holder is a nightmare. I have to unscrew the top adjusting screw and it is not the easiest screw to come out of the top.

Other question is about the FRONT ADJUSTING SCREW.

I am always getting "top edge high". I usually start by trying to 'eye' the front and rear of the skate centred to the wheel and then do 'witness marks'. It's weird. I am postive I am centred by eye, but always come out 'top side high.

I have tried what the manual says and 'adjust the skate holder by turning all 3 screws clockwise', but then I seem ridiculously low when the machine is off and I line up the front toe of skate with the wheel and then the back heel of the skate.

Only way I correct it is turn the skate around.

I used to skate sharpen for 5 years way back when and thought a machine for 3 boys in hockey would be good.

The adjustments I have to make with a 5 year old skate, an 8 year old skate, and a 10 year old GOALIE skate just seem too much.

Any suggestions?

Youth skates are a pain in the ass on any sharpener, same story with smaller goalie skates. As to your other problem are the edges level to begin with?