Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I absolutely noticed the increased glide for sure. You're right, I'm going to stick with it. I'm sure it's just that I'm not used to the less bite. After all I did have 3/8" sharpening this most recent time, 7/ 16" normally, so that could explain it.

Edited by freestyla

Hi guys,

Recently purchased the x-01. I had a few questions that I would really appreciate your feedback, I realize some of these questions may have been asked before but this topic is over 99 pages!!

1) How often should you dress the wheel when using the same spinner, after every skate?

2)What alternatives are you using instead of tef top?

3)Do you use fine shine and lube together or separate? If separate which do you prefer? or is there better alternatives?

Thanks for your time!!!

Hi guys,

Recently purchased the x-01. I had a few questions that I would really appreciate your feedback, I realize some of these questions may have been asked before but this topic is over 99 pages!!

1) How often should you dress the wheel when using the same spinner, after every skate?

2)What alternatives are you using instead of tef top?

3)Do you use fine shine and lube together or separate? If separate which do you prefer? or is there better alternatives?

Thanks for your time!!!

1. Generally, yes. Though if the skate is lopsided or requires significant correction, I will dress multiple times per skate

2. I generally don't use anything unless I'm having problems

3. I use fine shine

Just finished trying all 4 profiles and love 90/50. All i can say is OMG this technology is amazing. I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be a 80/50 for the x01 series anytime soon?

Cheers

I went to get my skates sharpenned last week and noticed that my LHS (Marc Sports Source for Sports) was now offering FBV. I gave it a try and loved it. It's a bit pricy though at 8$ but I think it's worth it. I'll buy a sharpening card they offer and it should end up costing me about 6$ a pop which isn't too bad I guess. I'm not sure what sharpening I got though as this LHS doesn't go by numbers but by names like:

Regular

Sharp

Very Sharp

Speaking with the guy a while back I was able to know that Sharp is 1/2 so when I got my FBV done I picked Sharp which is presumably 100/50 which is my deduction and I think it makes sense. I loved the glide and the bite. I really saw a difference over regular sharpening. Next time I go I'll ask what Sharp is in the FBV so to know if it's 100/50 like I think or not. Bottom line is that I don't really care what the numbers are as I now know that I like FBV in the sharp cut and seeing that this is the only place I get my skates shapenned, I don't really need to know what specific sharpening I got but I'll still ask out of curiosity.

lol you guys are funny. Honnestly, I think that they decided to use those terms as most people probably don't have a clue what 3/8, 1/2, 100/75 mean. Hell if it wasn't for this website educating me, I wouldn't know what the hell those numbers mean either. I play non competitive hockey with more or less the same bunch of guys every week and I'd say about 8 or 9 of them play competitve hockey at the beer league level, tourneys and what not and I'm about 100% sure that I would be hard pressed to find anyone knowing what sharpening job they are getting. Most would say that they have no clue, they just get their skates sharpened. The others would just say I ask for them to be very sharp. I know I was getting it done at 1/2 because I asked what Sharp meant in terms of the shapening job I was getting and the guys at my LHS seemed surprised that someone even know that you could get 1/4, 1/2 or whatever.

Actually, Friday after my game I told the guys in my room that they should go try FBV and everyone looked at me as if I was some kind of alien or something...

Ooof, found this thread while searching for information on personal skate sharpeners (thinking about the X-01). I read about a third of these 100 pages and my boss is looking at me funny....

I'm in downtown Toronto, and I know National does FBV. Do I need to ask for this specially ? I've had my skates done at Markham a few times about a year and a half ago, but just remember asking for my old hollow.

Who else does it in Toronto ?

EDIT: I see the Black Stone page lists a few dealers (though not my LHS).

Finally, if I bought an X-01, is it likely I'll be able to learn how to do this myself ? I have a winter place where I'll be setting up a rink, but natural ice chews up edges a lot. I thought it'd be fun to do my own skates AND not have to drive an hour to get a sharpening. Can I pay Blackstone to teach me ?

Edited by NuggyBuggy

It's an art man

The best thing to do is grab a pair with replaceable blades like eastons missions, and get a few extra sets.

After two years of working 25+ hours a week sharpening im still not a pro, and thats with commercial sharpeners.

If you decide to, pay a manager at national to do it like 20-30 an hour or so theyll gladly teach you.

I contacted Blackstone and was told if I bought the X01 and picked it up, they'd show me how to do things. Now I just have to figure out whether I want to spend that kind of money. I don't think it'd ever make financial sense for me (only skate once or twice a week now, and my sons are a few years from playing), but I think it'd be fun to do my own skates - IF, that is, I could do a decent job. God knows I've gotten my fair share of poor sharpenings at LHSes, so I acknowledge it might not be that easy.

I contacted Blackstone and was told if I bought the X01 and picked it up, they'd show me how to do things. Now I just have to figure out whether I want to spend that kind of money. I don't think it'd ever make financial sense for me (only skate once or twice a week now, and my sons are a few years from playing), but I think it'd be fun to do my own skates - IF, that is, I could do a decent job. God knows I've gotten my fair share of poor sharpenings at LHSes, so I acknowledge it might not be that easy.

i'm sure you could do it it's about taking your time and paying attention to detail. you could probably do better than 16 year olds i used to have to teach who want to rush them through the wheel and are grinding down half the steel.

It takes about two weeks to learn by yourself, and about a month or so to get comfortable with it.

...and years to be good. :)

So JR, be honest with me. Is it unlikely that I would be doing a good job on my skates in, say a few months time ? Because while I think it would be fun to do it, if at the end of the day I'm just giving myself crappy sharpenings, there's really no point.

Sure you can..a few months might be pushing it if you're only doing your own skates a few times a month..unless you have a spare set of skates to work on constantly that you don't mind buzzing off lots of steel. It just takes a steady hand and some common mechanical sense to understand what you're doing. And in no time you'll be one handing the Final Pass. Also be sure to grab yourself a pro square or something similar to keep your edges square and level.

Does anyone know if there is an FBV place in Burnaby or Vancouver?? Going to play there over the holidays and might need a sharpen

thanks