Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoAngleDangler

Eliminating Gloves Smell

I've had middling success with antimicrobal Fabreze, but recently bought a newer "extra strength" Fabreze (that isn't labled as being antimicrobal), and it has worked very, very well.

It's not only kept my new gloves from starting the process of putrid (without affecting the suppleness), but also rid my formerly-funky gear of its stench.

I've had middling success with antimicrobal Fabreze, but recently bought a newer "extra strength" Fabreze (that isn't labled as being antimicrobal), and it has worked very, very well.

It's not only kept my new gloves from starting the process of putrid (without affecting the suppleness), but also rid my formerly-funky gear of its stench.

I use the orange "anti-microbal Fabreeze and it works good for me, but then again I don't sweat too much. I see some players and they sweat buckets so I doubt that Fabreeze would really help much there.

In my opinion if you sweat buckets I would recommend you to throw them in the washing machine regularly and have the spin cycle get rid of most of the water.

ive always found that if you just dry them with a fan or something, it stays pretty clean

oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Good one, when I get home I try to air out most of equipment. Ventilation definitely helps big time.

I don't have a set up where I can set up a fan to air dry my equipment easily but I do take out all my equipment and spread it out so that they air out. If you think this is too much work, at least open up the hockey bag so that some air can get in.

Every few months, I clean them with shaving cream (with lanolin). The smell is better but not perfect. I'll try both the Febreze and Funk Free.

But my palms and the other white parts of the glove have turned brown, like they were stained with mold. Any ideas?

Fans are a must to keep gear from getting any worse, but you'll notice the OP's gear already stinks and he needs to get rid of it.

As soon as I get home from a skate, undergarments go in the wash, footbeds come out of the skates, smelly stuff gets hit with the Fabreze, and everything sits in front of 3 fans until it's bone dry.

Sometimes I'll also cut up off-brand dryer sheets and put them in my gloves, then put them in front of fans so that the air blows the scent throughout the whole glove. This works very, very well if you don't mind the hassle.

i built my own little dryer man out of pvc piping and an old blow up snowmans fan. took a little while but works great. I will post pics soon if you want.

Every few months, I clean them with shaving cream (with lanolin). The smell is better but not perfect. I'll try both the Febreze and Funk Free.

But my palms and the other white parts of the glove have turned brown, like they were stained with mold. Any ideas?

Best bet, wash them.

I have a pair of Vapor XXXX Pro's which I had been using 3 times a week for about 5 months now. The smell wasn't too bad, but the palms went creamy/brown (then I stupidly went and put black tape on my stick and made the left palm all black.)

I just washed them in hot (bearable to touch) water with some washing powder, then left them to dry for a few days.

I haven't had any bad effects, they feel even softer and they smell good now.

Only thing was the color of the water was absolutely disgusting!

Wash with what?

I washed them in hot water with a bit of laundry detergent and OxyClean, and they turned more brown. Should I try putting some bleach in there as well?

I've been putting my stuff right in front of my dehumidifier overnight and it's been the best drying method I've used so far. None of my stuff gets crispy, and (after having it professionally washed almost two months ago) all of my gear still smells new. I play 4 times a week too, so it's not like the stuff is rarely used.

Wash with what?

I washed them in hot water with a bit of laundry detergent and OxyClean, and they turned more brown. Should I try putting some bleach in there as well?

DONT use bleach unless you want to go buy a new pair of gloves.

Fans are a must to keep gear from getting any worse, but you'll notice the OP's gear already stinks and he needs to get rid of it.

As soon as I get home from a skate, undergarments go in the wash, footbeds come out of the skates, smelly stuff gets hit with the Fabreze, and everything sits in front of 3 fans until it's bone dry.

Sometimes I'll also cut up off-brand dryer sheets and put them in my gloves, then put them in front of fans so that the air blows the scent throughout the whole glove. This works very, very well if you don't mind the hassle.

Stupid question possibly but what is the benefit of this?

My relatively new Vapor XXXX manage moisture very well, and so taking the footbeds out hasn't really been necessary.

But generally, moisture will accumulate between the footbed and insole of the skate. When you leave your footbeds in, this moisture doesn't dry very well, and leads to stench and the rusting of rivets.

Taking them out helps the drying process move along.

I once spoke about this with the equipment manager of the Plymouth Whalers. He said that if players don't remove their footbeds after skating, they are fined.

My relatively new Vapor XXXX manage moisture very well, and so taking the footbeds out hasn't really been necessary.

But generally, moisture will accumulate between the footbed and insole of the skate. When you leave your footbeds in, this moisture doesn't dry very well, and leads to stench and the rusting of rivets.

Taking them out helps the drying process move along.

I once spoke about this with the equipment manager of the Plymouth Whalers. He said that if players don't remove their footbeds after skating, they are fined.

Ah makes sense now I didn't really think of the rivets. Thanks for informing me.

Is that true with Superfeet as well? I've removed them a few times but nothing seems damp. I do wear thin socks while skating.

Is that true with Superfeet as well? I've removed them a few times but nothing seems damp. I do wear thin socks while skating.

If everything seems to be in order beneath the Superfeet, then you're fine. Like I said, I only remove the stock footbeds from my XXXX as a habit.

If your Superfeet themselves are damp however, it'd be beneficial to remove them from the boot.

Funk Free works wonders. I want to wash mine in water, but doesn't that dry up the palms (take the oils out)? Or is that only if you use detergent?

My palms felt just as good before and after I washed them. The water was nasty though. It's just they turned a lot brown like they had some mold or something. I'm using the Clarino palms and love them. I will be picking up some Funk Free next time I'm at the store.

I have 2 fans set up in my basement where i lay out all my gear after every practice or game, my equipment manages to dry nicely, but it causes my entire house to smell like sweat, lol.

I have 2 fans set up in my basement where i lay out all my gear after every practice or game, my equipment manages to dry nicely, but it causes my entire house to smell like sweat, lol.

That's the best part.

For Gloves, shoulders, elbows and shins I have what I think is a great system. Easy too.

I use a rubbermaid container, the ones around 3'x2'. Fill it up with warm water and add some hunting soap.

Soap made for deer hunters is designed to remove odor since deer smell so well. Put your gear in that and move it all around for 5 minutes or so. Dump out the dirty water and fill it up again with cold water and put the gear back in to rinse it off.

Gentle on the gear and guaranteed to take the smell out.

If I need something fast, I use the washer too. Gloves just tend to float to the top though...I need a front loader.

Forgot to add, I use a Peet shoe dryer to dry the gloves. dry overnight, good to go

yea ur not the only one but can his idea mess up your equipment at all by soaking it or washing it b/c i've never heard of that before and it will probably take a few days to dry right?