Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoAngleDangler

Eliminating Gloves Smell

I've learned that all your gear (except helmet and skates, of course) can just go in the wash and dryer on gentle. I put the gloves in a pillow case and it works out perfectly.

Lysol after use and Snuggle dryer sheets once dry.

Smell better than new.

I second the Lysol spray. One of my buddies at the local rink said a guy lost most of his leg hair because of Lysol on the liner of shin guards but I've had no problem yet. No skin rashes or weird reactions.

I play five days a week and use the spray twice a week and has really cut down on the smell. Granted the gear is always aired out, too.

One of my buddies at the local rink said a guy lost most of his leg hair because of Lysol on the liner of shin guards but I've had no problem yet.

???

Must put on the shins right after spraying...I wouldn't recommend that. I spray on after use only, then air dry. No stank.

So I've seen several techniques on here. I have a pair of Bauer 4 roll elite's that smell awful and I'm wanting to clean up a bit. I currently wash my shoulder pads, elbow pads and shin guard liners on a "light" cycle once every few months. If I try to wash my gloves on a light cycle will I destroy them?

So I've seen several techniques on here. I have a pair of Bauer 4 roll elite's that smell awful and I'm wanting to clean up a bit. I currently wash my shoulder pads, elbow pads and shin guard liners on a "light" cycle once every few months. If I try to wash my gloves on a light cycle will I destroy them?

I wouldn't recommend it.

Use some Funk Free or Febreze Odor Eliminator (orange cap, buy it online at Total Hockey) and spray it down. I would recommend doing this probably every couple days or so, even when you are not using your equipment.

If you have money to spend the Rocket Sports Dryer is a perfect combo for this. Also dryer sheets as recommended on page #2, while I haven't tried, seems like it would work well.

I store my gear in my garage and am picking up a Rocket Dryer for my house. My gear is getting cluttered so I'm about to go organize it all and spray it down.

As long as it is a front loader on a gentle cycle you will be ok. I have put my 4 roll pros, (along with 9ks, one95's and XXXX's) thru the wash 4 times in the last year and they have come out fine every time.

I'll add franchises, X:60s and easton pros to the gloves that go through the wash without a problem. Throw a little oxy clean inside them and they're pretty close to like new.

I poured 5 or 6 full kettles of boiling water through my gloves, until the water came out clear. That killed the smell and softened up the palms.

I'm going to pair up a Rocket Dryer with Febreze Spray (or another) to see how I can the stench out of my gloves and other equipment.

Jeremy from HTH showed a, kind of, safe way to wash some of your equipment. My plan is basically:

• Play
  • Dry with Rocket Dryer
  • Put dryer sheets in my equipment including gloves
  • Spray with odor eliminator after drying
  • 1/2 months wash safely
  • Dry again in Rocket Dryer
  • Repeat

I'll let you know if this helps with my gloves but the spray is already kind of working.

Not to hijack here, but I have heard about using shaving cream on the palms to soften and clean. Any luck? Mine dont smell as much as get a little crusty from new tape and debris mixed with the sweat.

Yup, Jarick has tried it as well as others in this thread I believe.

Every few months, I clean them with shaving cream (with lanolin). The smell is better but not perfect. I'll try both the Febreze and Funk Free.

But my palms and the other white parts of the glove have turned brown, like they were stained with mold. Any ideas?

I would try this + washing your equipment + using an odor eliminator + air dry/rocket dryer. You can even use the dryer sheet methods if you want less smell. Also keeping out of your hockey bag works. Usually when palms turn black and it smells too bad even after these it's time to give them up. You can try re-palming and professional cleaning if they are expensive, just not my taste when I can go pick up another pair for $60.

Scroll back through this thread or look up Jeremy from HTH on YouTube, he has a good washing tip video.

Just want to give a little follow up..

Luckily I have three pairs of gloves, so I tested out the light wash in my front loader on my oldest pair and was please with tr outcome. I also threw my 4 roll's into the wash (although I was still nervous) and was very happy with the end result.

Just want to give a little follow up..

Luckily I have three pairs of gloves, so I tested out the light wash in my front loader on my oldest pair and was please with tr outcome. I also threw my 4 roll's into the wash (although I was still nervous) and was very happy with the end result.

Yeah, just follow what Jeremy from HTH does. I've found most of his methods in hockey work, even basic stuff like taping toe to heel (at least for me).

A Rocket Dryer won't get the stink out but will prolong the equipment from stinking, especially if you put dryer sheets in your gloves.

Not to hijack here, but I have heard about using shaving cream on the palms to soften and clean. Any luck? Mine dont smell as much as get a little crusty from new tape and debris mixed with the sweat.

I found this thread looking, once again, to do something for my son's gloves. Tha last time it was what you describe above, no real smell issue but the palms were crusty and hard. (The gloves were Warrior. I think they were a Jr. Pro Series model.) I had heard about the Barbasol "yellow can" method, and that the lanolin in the shave cream really works. We tried it, and at first the palms were a little softer for a short while. Then we were right back to the original problem. He was ready for new gloves anyway, so that was the end to that experiment. Put me in the group that is a non-believer for the yellow Barbasol.

Now my son has a pair of Winwell pro gloves (just like the old TPS gloves) which he absolutely loves. The palms are still fairly supple, and the glove is holding up well, but the palms stink really, really bad. And so do his hands after he wears them. And so does the car and the room where he hangs his equipment to dry. From this thread, I will try either Funk Free or Rhino Buster. Or maybe both. I have also heard that Sudden Death is used by Play It Again Sports for their equipment, so I may also try that.

I had heard about the Barbasol "yellow can" method, and that the lanolin in the shave cream really works. We tried it, and at first the palms were a little softer for a short while. Then we were right back to the original problem. He was ready for new gloves anyway, so that was the end to that experiment. Put me in the group that is a non-believer for the yellow Barbasol.

It's not a permanent fix, but at $1.25 or so for a can, using it periodically is cost-effective and helps. Nothing is going to completely prevent the gloves getting crusty, especially if they've already gotten that way and you're trying to reverse it.

There are also other products with higher lanolin content - A&D ointment has a high lanolin content, and there are actually 100% lanolin creams that you can find at Babies R Us and similar stores - they're usually marketed to be used by nursing mothers.

Some people seem to have the chemical ability to make gloves toxic & my son was one of them, starting right from mites. I tried everything recommended over the years including, but not limited to, freezing, steam, laundering, boiling water, Listerine, rubbing alcohol, shave cream, Funk Free & some other products that I can't recall. Each had varying degrees of success but all were very temporary at best.

Then, as a last ditch effort on a favorite pair I couldn't stand anymore, I dumped straight bleach inside & immediately rinsed with hot water. That was the cure. And it had surprisingly little effect on the gloves. I thought the palms might have gotten a little crunchier, but he insisted they hadn't, and the Lanolin shave cream fixed that. They stayed fresher longer than new gloves, & in subsequent treatments I diluted the bleach with water.

I don't recommend dumping bleach into any gloves you haven't given up on, but if you do, I'd start with 4:1 water/bleach & go up if necessary.

The good news is that (for him at least) the problem seemed to go away around age 14.