Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Petey21

Holmstrom's special equipment

There was an article about Tomas Holmstrom's equipment in a newspaper today, and a couple pics (see below). He has modified the shoulder pads (which he got already back in 1991 and he's still using the same pads!) and added extra padding on the back and between the elbow and shoulder pads as well. And the shin pads are also modified to cover the calves as well (there's no pic of that though). It looks kinda weird but apparently it works for him since he's been using this stuff for way over ten years now.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sport/0408/31/SP...ooor-53_368.jpg

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sport/0408/31/SP...ggen-46_368.jpg

http://expressen.se/content/1/c6/17/86/73/6fef186d.jpg

Don't know but the sole look at a "pad" like this scares me. I would feel gravely unsafe with these in a checking league (This may be a cool thing for no-check, though).

That looks ghetto as hell. This guy has got some cojones to play pro with those things. Notice the knit Bauer gloves -_-

I'm sure that the sideways, modified baseball catcher's chest protector is nice to have when parked in front of the net. That is right where those goalie stick cross checks usually land.

Only thing I would be scared of would be to get a slapshot to my ribs... but then again, in NHL people mostly shoot where they aim (unless D gets his stick in between). In checking league you only need side padding... You rarely check with your torso..

That's technically not true. I remember one time he got the puck at his blue line, crossed the red and dumped it in. Of course that was in the '98 Finals against the Caps, but still.

thats completely nuts at how little padding he wears, especially when he's always crashing the net and getting whacked. i take it that big blue pad on the back is for all the crosschecks from standing front of the goalie haha

i would not play with that kind of padding but it seems like it works for him and we are talking abot a guy that does not play like a sissy at all. dude stands in front of the net and takes severe abuse for a living so...

man his got the lower back pad, thats so awesome, i need one of those

Go get some lacrosse kidney pads.

Does anyone else think it was a bad idea for him to let his equipment get out? I know if I'm a D playing Detroit, to slash his upper back because there is absoloutely no padding, one power-play and he may not be able to move his arms.

I've been trying to find an Armadillo for years.

I noticed Holmstrom during the Germany game - he got into a scrum and his jersey almost came off. I was like "wow, all I see is suspenders..."

I've been trying to find an Armadillo for years.

I noticed Holmstrom during the Germany game - he got into a scrum and his jersey almost came off. I was like "wow, all I see is suspenders..."

I noticed that too. In fact, I was thinking about his pads during the game yesterday, and how it looks like the shoulder caps got even bigger.

I'm sure most of the league knows about Holmstrom's padding already anyway. Think of the former Wings who are around the league, or guys that have played for Sweden.

Not really. His pads are specifically made for in front of the net. How many times have you been hacked in the chest or stomach while standing in front of the net? Its always in the back.