Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tdjb

Adults using intermediate shafts/sticks?

Should be a senior standard blade...can you take it to a shop to compare?

As for cutting down a whip flex versus playing with an intermediate flex, it's not the material getting stiffer, it's the amount of leverage you have. So I don't think you'll go from a 65 flex to a 90 flex if you cut down say a 75 flex by three inches. My 65 flex Mission cut down an inch is just a bit whippier than my 75 flex Warrior cut down about 3-4 inches.

I've found that most of the guys on my rec team that are 5-10 and under, use intermediate sticks. I cannot use them, but it works for them. One is our best player. He's 150lbs soaking wet, so I'm guessing an intermediate flex is best for him..

My wife's stick was, indeed, an Easton Typhoon. It takes a standard blade. Life is suddenly much easier...

I'm 5'8" at about 185 and I use an intermediate Warrior MacDaddy (Fedorov) 65 flex. I really like having such a whippy stick after struggling to find an adult stick that fit the bill. In the past, I bought a NBH 77 flex, but needed to cut the stick down to get the length right and lost a lot of the whipiness in the process. There are 2 potential downfalls to the narrower, lighter stick: the stick is so light that I sometimes have trouble feeling which direction my blade is facing, which can be a little worrisome with a pass on the way; and, passes are pretty springy off the blade, especially when I lower my bottom hand on the shaft to receive a pass in my feet. I can't comment on the effect of the whippy stick on a slapshot (because I don't really have one), but my wrist shot was immediately improved.

I'm 5'7 140-150lbs and I use a intermediate stick. My hands arent that big either so it helps having a smaller radius stick to grab hold of. I use the Warrior Dolomite in a 70 Flex. I can really learn into my stick to get a better shot. The flex is very good. I might decide to pick up the mac daddy in a 60 flex as a backup stick.

I'm 5'7 140-150lbs and I use a intermediate stick. My hands arent that big either so it helps having a smaller radius stick to grab hold of. I use the Warrior Dolomite in a 70 Flex. I can really learn into my stick to get a better shot. The flex is very good. I might decide to pick up the mac daddy in a 60 flex as a backup stick.

Do the Warrior intermediates generally have smaller shaft radius compared to the seniors? I had an intermediate Inno Novius shaft a few years ago, but it was too wide for my hands so I ditched it. Was wondering if it was different now that it's Warrior.

I've also tried Bauer intermediates (One90 and XXXX) and found that their shafts are also just a little wider than comfortable. I've found that intermediate Missions (M-1, Pulse) have a perfect smaller radius, but they are all on their last legs, so I'm looking at replacements.

Anyone else have any thoughts on shaft radii for Eastons, CCM or Rbk?

Thanks

I have been using the 70 flex Synergy cut down a bit, and the shaft is a hair big but better than the intermediate sized shafts which are too small. They tend to turn around in my hands if they are too small to hold firmly.

The 70 flex Synergy shaft is the whippiest senior shaft I've used to date, lots of kick on the shots too.

+1 on intermediates - If you must choose, take the correct flex and just deal with the smaller shaft. A smaller than ideal shaft with an ideal flex will give you better results than using a stick that is too stiff. Interestingly, the studies I have read have all shown that players of various skill levels almost always shoot harder with lower flex (wristers AND slappers!). The ONLY reason in my opinion to use higher flex sticks is if you are able to bend your shafts enough that you break them regularly. Otherwise I personally see no benefit to higher flexes (I think most use flexes too high because they think it makes them look stronger). Some may disagree on this point, but based on on the actual data I have seen I hold this opinion.

I am 6' ~145 lbs and I use uncut intermediates from 60-70 flex of various brands. I like a shaft length of about 52" which is right about what most intermediates are (50"-53" uncut is normal)

Intermediates are -always- smaller shafts which is good and bad (note CCM's "intermediate" light flex is listed as a senior stick because it is - so it's not really intermediate). I personally like the fact that ints are even lighter, but my hands are big enough that senior shaft diameters feel better for me. The intermediates I have used that feel reasonably close (read: not too terribly small) are:

montreal, synergy elite (shaft feels more concave than seniors which may be good or bad for you), warrior macdaddy

So far the best option for people on the fence is a synergy elite / SE16 shaft in 70 flex. The shafts are about 3" longer than I like, but that still puts them around an 80 flex when cut so it's not too bad. This way you get senior shaft dimensions and length with an intermediate (or just a bit higher) flex. This is not a good option in my opinion if you are much shorter than I am (6') because by the time you cut it you may not be any better off than using a 75 flex senior (or a regular intermediate)

I have found that warrior sticks are slightly shorter than others so 75 flex seniors will work if you don't need to cut much. This is true for CCM light flex as well but I think they are an inch or two longer (not 100% sure).

One95 shafts work ok in 77 flex but due to the long length of standard blades these will need more cutting if you're shorter. If you know of any standard blade with very short hosels more like taper blades please let me know so I can buy some! Standard blades add a good two inches to the total length of the stick which kills the benefit :(

I can only dream of somebody releasing a standard length senior shaft with standard dimensions in a 60 flex so that it's ~70-75 when cut. Sadly, this doesn't seem to exist or like it ever will. :angry:

I just bought a m-2 off Ebay that I thought was a 90 flex but actually is a 60 flex (long story). I did take a few shots with it but really didn't like it that much, I might have to put it back on eBay or something.

+1 on intermediates - If you must choose, take the correct flex and just deal with the smaller shaft. A smaller than ideal shaft with an ideal flex will give you better results than using a stick that is too stiff. Interestingly, the studies I have read have all shown that players of various skill levels almost always shoot harder with lower flex (wristers AND slappers!). The ONLY reason in my opinion to use higher flex sticks is if you are able to bend your shafts enough that you break them regularly. Otherwise I personally see no benefit to higher flexes (I think most use flexes too high because they think it makes them look stronger). Some may disagree on this point, but based on on the actual data I have seen I hold this opinion.

I am 6' ~145 lbs and I use uncut intermediates from 60-70 flex of various brands. I like a shaft length of about 52" which is right about what most intermediates are (50"-53" uncut is normal)

Intermediates are -always- smaller shafts which is good and bad (note CCM's "intermediate" light flex is listed as a senior stick because it is - so it's not really intermediate). I personally like the fact that ints are even lighter, but my hands are big enough that senior shaft diameters feel better for me. The intermediates I have used that feel reasonably close (read: not too terribly small) are:

montreal, synergy elite (shaft feels more concave than seniors which may be good or bad for you), warrior macdaddy

So far the best option for people on the fence is a synergy elite / SE16 shaft in 70 flex. The shafts are about 3" longer than I like, but that still puts them around an 80 flex when cut so it's not too bad. This way you get senior shaft dimensions and length with an intermediate (or just a bit higher) flex. This is not a good option in my opinion if you are much shorter than I am (6') because by the time you cut it you may not be any better off than using a 75 flex senior (or a regular intermediate)

I have found that warrior sticks are slightly shorter than others so 75 flex seniors will work if you don't need to cut much. This is true for CCM light flex as well but I think they are an inch or two longer (not 100% sure).

One95 shafts work ok in 77 flex but due to the long length of standard blades these will need more cutting if you're shorter. If you know of any standard blade with very short hosels more like taper blades please let me know so I can buy some! Standard blades add a good two inches to the total length of the stick which kills the benefit :(

I can only dream of somebody releasing a standard length senior shaft with standard dimensions in a 60 flex so that it's ~70-75 when cut. Sadly, this doesn't seem to exist or like it ever will. :angry:

The old Easton ST blades used to come in the shorter hosel.[The ones with yellow on the heel.]

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-...-st-yellow.html

Do the Warrior intermediates generally have smaller shaft radius compared to the seniors? I had an intermediate Inno Novius shaft a few years ago, but it was too wide for my hands so I ditched it. Was wondering if it was different now that it's Warrior.

I've also tried Bauer intermediates (One90 and XXXX) and found that their shafts are also just a little wider than comfortable. I've found that intermediate Missions (M-1, Pulse) have a perfect smaller radius, but they are all on their last legs, so I'm looking at replacements.

Anyone else have any thoughts on shaft radii for Eastons, CCM or Rbk?

Thanks

I don't really remember trying the SR warrior shaft, but when it tyred the Easton or Nike Bauers.. the radius of the int warrior was way smaller.

IMO, it feels similar to the easton cyclone shaft (the one with Ergo taper intermediate shaft radius). I have that shaft too.

"Do the Warrior intermediates generally have smaller shaft radius compared to the seniors? I had an intermediate Inno Novius shaft a few years ago, but it was too wide for my hands so I ditched it. Was wondering if it was different now that it's Warrior."

YES. I used an easton S17 intermediate all season and the shaft felt as wide (maybe a tad thinner, but not noticable) as a senior shaft. I decided to try out the Warrior Dolomite INT and felt like I was using a junior stick. I dislike how skinny the shaft is.

Ah, thanks guys. I will probably try a Warrior stick out then. My hands are pretty small, and I feel like my stickhandling is much better with my smaller Mission sticks vs the wider Bauers.

Ah, thanks guys. I will probably try a Warrior stick out then. My hands are pretty small, and I feel like my stickhandling is much better with my smaller Mission sticks vs the wider Bauers.

I recently switched to the Warrior Macdaddy Int. from an 85 flex Synergy and the downsize to the smaller Warrior shaft was fine (I've never used an Int. stick before, so I was concerned about the change). I love the whippy sticks for wrist shots.

6'5" 190 and right now trying out an 80ish Hull. I'm thinking it's closer to the mid-to-lower 70s and it's a bitch getting used to.

How many of the adult players here use intermediate shafts or sticks? I'm curious if they will hold up to adult usage. I'm 6' but only weigh about 160lbs and was thinking about trying out an intermediate shaft/blade combo. I found a good deal on ebay for some new M-1 shafts at a 75 flex (51" long), but I'm worried about having to use a junior blade. I'll be coming from a regular flex RBK 6k shaft and easton blade which doesn't seem to really load up for me on my wrist shots.

Any suggestions on this switch? Is it worth it or will the shafts just give out on me?

This is not a bad idea at all... If you use the general rule of using a flex that's half your body weight. Half of 160 is 80... and 75 Flex is not far off at all. A lot of people have had great success in switching to a lower flex. You said it yourself that you can't feel the reg flex loading up.

Yeah, i agree there but its also dependent on your strength, im a heavy shooter despite my 5'10 180 pound weight, i use 110 flexs if i can find it, i have a one95 in an 87 but i cut it to where it says 107 and it works perfect for me, i could go stiffer but i would probably lose a bit of power with my wrister.

6'5" 190 and right now trying out an 80ish Hull. I'm thinking it's closer to the mid-to-lower 70s and it's a bitch getting used to.

I thought you were a 120 flex guy?

I suppose if I were 6'5" I'd probably use 100+ flex.

Its all personal. If you are not strong or do not have much of a slapper get the intermediate. I try to pick up my shafts at the STL blues pro shop for 45 bucks. Cant beat it, they are used but usually only have one scuff or something on them.

Its all personal. If you are not strong or do not have much of a slapper get the intermediate. I try to pick up my shafts at the STL blues pro shop for 45 bucks. Cant beat it, they are used but usually only have one scuff or something on them.

You've got to be kidding me... did you even read THIS thread before posting, let alone any of the hundreds of others on the realities of stick flex ratings?

You've got to be kidding me... did you even read THIS thread before posting, let alone any of the hundreds of others on the realities of stick flex ratings?

What he said....

In addition, flexguessing or generalizing gets you nowhere fast...or a one way ticket to tendonitis if the flex is too stiff. I am 6' 3" and I personally swear by a 77 flex shaft. BUT that is for ME. As far as the slapper comment is concerned, I can't do jack with a 100 flex, but could put a hole in someone's chest with a 77.

I just bought a m-2 off Ebay that I thought was a 90 flex but actually is a 60 flex (long story). I did take a few shots with it but really didn't like it that much, I might have to put it back on eBay or something.

Sorry if I missed this, but is the Mission 60 flex shaft a senior? If it's even whippier than a 70 Flex Synergy II/Synergy Elite, than it's just what I'm trying to find for a teammate -- an intermediate flex shaft with regular senior dimensions.

Also, how does the TPS whip flex (listed as 70) measure up next to the Syn II 70 flex? Whippier or stiffer?

I'm moderately strong for a beer leaguer, right about 6' and 180, and always feel better taking slappers with 100 flex. I don't know why, I really don't. I also have a lotta problems taking power shots with low kick sticks, probably related...

Sorry if I missed this, but is the Mission 60 flex shaft a senior? If it's even whippier than a 70 Flex Synergy II/Synergy Elite, than it's just what I'm trying to find for a teammate -- an intermediate flex shaft with regular senior dimensions.

Also, how does the TPS whip flex (listed as 70) measure up next to the Syn II 70 flex? Whippier or stiffer?

Anyone?

Also, anyone know what the shaft dimensions of the One95 Intermediate shaft are? Closer to a senior or still skinny intermediate? It needs to be larger than the Cyclone shaft, for example, for it to work for my teammate.