Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dsjunior1388

Pronunciation clarification

Tuuk: Is it Tuck, or is it Tuque?

+1 on the Tuuk Holder. Ha!

I alway thought it was Took as in Tuke, Long "U", as in You

Ummmmm.............Took rhymes with book, unless you say "I read a buke".

Tuuk: Is it Tuck, or is it Tuque?

I always thought it was Tuque, I guess it depends from which part of Canada you are. But Tuque sounds nice to me, a lot better than Tuck, as in father Tuck

When I first read it off my skates as a kid my first impression was "Tuque", but everyone I have ever heard say it said "Tuck", so...

I've heard it both ways pretty evenly, personally I've always pronounced it how it's written and haven't placed a "C" in there :P

I think it boils down to "you say tomah-to I say tomay-to"

I have heard it as well as both ways... However when I was in the Northern US/ Canada I heard "tuck", and when I was in LA now Texas everyone down here says "Tuque". So it might be a regional distinction, as water is water in LA but in NY its "Whhattaaa" both are right but spoken differently depending on where you are?

I have heard it as well as both ways... However when I was in the Northern US/ Canada I heard "tuck", and when I was in LA now Texas everyone down here says "Tuque". So it might be a regional distinction, as water is water in LA but in NY its "Whhattaaa" both are right but spoken differently depending on where you are?

I 2nd the "tuque" thats all I've ever heard here in LA/So Cal.....

Tuck for me.

I've never heard it pronounced the other way, actually. :o

While we're on topic...

Joe-fa or Yofa?

I heard 'yofa' for the first time the other day, and it caught me off guard. Hehe.

Joe-fa or Yofa?

I heard 'yofa' for the first time the other day, and it caught me off guard. Hehe.

I've only head "yo-fa" as a slightly derogatory term for that brand :P

well jofa is just "jofa"

Maybe in Finnish and definitely Norwegian, but if I were to read it in English I would pronounce it Joe-fa. As in Joe Mama.

well jofa is just "jofa"

Maybe in Finnish and definitely Norwegian, but if I were to read it in English I would pronounce it Joe-fa. As in Joe Mama.

When you read Martin St. Louis' last name in English, I assume you don't pronounce it the same way as the city of St. Louis.

If Tuuk were meant to be pronounced "tuck" they probably would not have spelled it as they have. I've only heard "took" or "two-k", never minding the subtlety between the two.

I've only called Jofa "yofa" since I automatically assumed a Swedish company would go that way, even when I was little. Most of my friends call it "joe-fa" and I've come to saying the name twice, once each way, just so they know what I'm talking about.

Hey now, no one in NY pronounces water as "whhattaaa" outside of Brooklyn, they've got their own accent/attitude which a lot of non-Borooklyn'ers can't stand :P

While we're on the topic... I remember when I was younger a lo of people would pronounce Nike as "Ni-yk" which rhymes w/ "psych", I never understood i but it was actually pretty common.

...bottomline with all these companies, they don't care how you pronouce their name, as long as they get your "green" Ha!

...and on a side note a nickle weights 5 grams....so 80 nickels weight as much as a OPS....Cheers