Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Home Repairs

Electrical work is done. AC was installed yesterday. All in $5800 for both projects ($1900 for Electrical/$3900 for AC). I'm quite happy with the results. Some minor repairs needed around the new light fixtures....as they didn't completely cover where the old ones had ben...but other than that, it's all good.

Just finishing up the nursery at my house and decided to see what's under all the paint the previous owner slapped on the door hardware throughout the house. Turns out its all bronze plated iron. This is after 8 hours of soaking in a crock pot set on high in soap and water. Paint peeled off in one piece!

1146522_10151793704662534_944401958_n.jp

Yea, these aren't going anywhere. My house was built in 1900, so these things have been through it all. Actually found someone selling a couple sets (with the wrong door knobs) on ebay. I'm watching that auction right now to see how much they go for. They do seem to be attracting bidders though.

Make sure you clean out the crock pot before cooking in it again. Paint was probably lead based if it's old.

No worries there. Got an old crock pot from a friend of mine's mother who just happened to be cleaning out her basement when I was looking for one. So this is a vintage, 1987 crock pot living a new life and will promptly hit the dumpster whenever I'm done stripping all of these knobs...

Geez, that's crazy! Just change out the plates and put the old ones on eBay; there would easily be a market for those types of things.

Sorry, this is the first time I've been here in a while, but my response was meant for the previous owner of the house -- just sell the things, but don't be so foolish as to paint over them.

If you recall a few years ago, I re-did my bathroom and posted pics here. Well, I did a crappy job and decided to use "Wall Board" or "Barker Board". I didn't do a great job sealing it, and it leaked...a lot. Got some mold build up...so I ripped it down and tiled this past week. Not a professional job...bit I followed all the steps. I Kerdi waterproofing membrane behind it.

This:

228910_10150762368950182_4180357_n.jpg

To This:

1236004_10153207586385182_189962569_n.jp

Still have to caulk in the corners and touch up some paint, but I should have my bathroom back in time for a shower before work Tuesday. Been showering at my GF's place since Wed.

Still have to caulk in the corners and touch up some paint, but I should have my bathroom back in time for a shower before work Tuesday. Been showering at my GF's place since Wed.

Make sure you use the "Lets conserve water" line ;)

Haha...Finally got to shower at home today, after almost a week of showers at her place and 2 days of baths (I hate baths) while grouting and caulking cured. I'm happy with how it turned out. I won't be hiring myself out to do any co-workers bathrooms, but I did a decent job, I think.

Finally finished the project that got me turned on to stripping the door knobs in my house. That would be the nursery closet for the up and coming addition. Minus the time restrictions imposed by the boss-lady, I had a bunch of fun designing and putting this all together.

Before:

IMG_0998_zps064b9fac.jpg

After:

IMG_1029_zps5b657e1d.jpg

IMG_1032_zpsa01d8d71.jpg

Looking for a little assistance. Have been doing some online reading/learning as well. I'm getting some soft spots in my laminate flooring and trying to research the best way to fix it. It is only in one area, but has gotten very noticeable at this point. Trying to find the best way to resolve the issue with the least amount of work - duh. First time home buying is oh so much fun.....

By "soft" do you mean like a lot of flex or give? Any squeaking??

I have seen on TV where they will put screws back up from underneath to pull the laminate bcak tight to the floor.

If this is a floating floor...I'm out of suggestions?

Could be a bigger problem with structure or the subfloor though....good luck.

Yeah, if i'ts a soft spot, then usually it's an issue with the sub-floor. If you are going to be doing the repair, do yourself a favor and assume it's the worst-case scenario and plan for that. This way you will be mentally prepared to put the proper amount of time and money into the project. Also, this way if it ends up being something minor, you are pleasantly surprised! :)

Anybody do any regrading to their yard? Front yard is sloped somewhat and am considering adding fill/loam to create a swale, and also run PVC form the gutter to the side of the house away from the foundtion.

Anyone with expertise in interior doors swinging closed? I tried to adjust the hinges but nothing changed?

Anybody do any regrading to their yard? Front yard is sloped somewhat and am considering adding fill/loam to create a swale, and also run PVC form the gutter to the side of the house away from the foundtion.

My parents have, however it was done professionally. They've always had problem with water in the basement. What they had done is had the gutters drain into PVC which runs to the back yard. There is a swale in the back yard that water frequently collected in. A large PVC pipe with holes in the top was placed in the swale so that water would drain into it. The pipe then drains to a town drain pipe located in the back yard. They had to go through a lot with permits and junk to get the town to allow them the adjustment to the drain. After all was finished, the basement is dry and finished with drywall.

Years ago I helped my father improve the drainage around the house. We dug around the perimeter of the house, laid perforated pipe and then covered with gravel and then dirt. I don't recall having any problems after that.

Years ago I helped my father improve the drainage around the house. We dug around the perimeter of the house, laid perforated pipe and then covered with gravel and then dirt. I don't recall having any problems after that.

We did the same thing at my Mom's about 6-7 years ago to keep water from the basement, its been dry ever since.

Had a guy come out and take a look. He thinks regrading and a swale in the front and running the gutters to the sides should do it. On the phone he had mentioned the possibility of excavating the front of the house and applying a waterproof membrane and coating so I was concerned about the ultimate cost of this project.

Annnnnnd there goes the water softener... House came with a Culligan Mark 100, it's 17 years old and apparently not worth repairing per the tech. Comparable replacement through Culligan is around $2K. Looking at Clack or Kinectico as possible replacements- Anybody have experience with this stuff? Looks like on demand as opposed to timed would be the way to go for efficiency and cost?