Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sitzlejd

Merit increases

Hey guys,

For those of you in the working world, I was wondering how your merit increases have been in the recession. I just got my first one ever (first job out of college) and it was only 3.5%. I know the economy is rough, but I was hoping to get more considering my level of work. I know for a fact I've exceeded expectations, and my boss made that clear in my review. Are you guys getting less than you expected? For those who've been working for a while, how were your increases before the economy went tits up?

count yourself lucky. My company put a cost cutting measure in place that there would not be any merit increases for this year, which meant that I didnt get one for the whole of last year as well since my anniversary date was 1 jan. So two years with no merit increases, 10% pay cut, might take away my company phone and car...

I exceeded the boss' expectations as well... but it didnt matter since it was a corporate decision to do it.

My wife is a Corporate Controller, so we've had many conversations about this over the years. The bottom line is nothing is guaranteed. There have been some years when the increases ranged from about 3% to 10%, whereas last year I think they were 0% to 5%. At other times, people have been required to take unpaid leave, while others still had the option of being laid off or having a pay cut.

3.5% is a decent increase in this economy, so don't let it discourage you. A strong work ethic will reward you over the long run, but not necessarily every year.

I would agree that 3.5% right now is pretty good. When I first got out of school I had a couple significant raises since I was still relatively low on the totem pole but then it'd change to something barely above inflation. This last year was a lot better as I've gotten two raises and a bonus. Then again we don't feel the recession the same as everywhere else.

I just got mine as well, at 3.48% which was well above the average that our company was allowed to give out. Yeah it wasn't alot, but atleast we are getting something.

As much as I hate unions for the most part, I can't complain too much. Annual raise +2.5% cost of living + another 2.5% since our contract has become amendable and no extension has been agreed to. We'll most likely get another bump once the new contract is in place but that could be some time next year.

working for a huge company I've been hit with 5% pay cut, no reimbursement for my office expenses anymore (phone, internet,etc.) with no option to move back into a company owned facility, no raise and if we do bonus at the end of year it will likely just be for the pay cut took earlier this year if even that much.

Still though, paycheck keeps coming in and I have a job everyday to go to which is more than a lot of people can say right now.

Let see, first it was 20% paycut or get the can with no package.

Then it was unpaid time off right around xmas.

Granted, I am a contractor, it was still a bit of a kick in the pants.

But, as previously said, the paychecks are coming in and I have a job.

Zach

Working on a state contract, my company went from 5% max to 2.5% max yearly... A lot of people moaned and groaned, but considering I know people at other companies who aren't getting any merit increase due to the economy- I'll take it.

3.5% is pretty good. My company is doing ok considering and we got nothing more than a token raise which was wiped out when a couple of my bills went up! My wife is in a union, but I just shake my head when I see how they do salaries.