Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Netminder32

Bauer 2010/2011 sneak peek...

The thing that worries me is that the blades look like they're beginning to get to figure skate prices. With all the new coatings and special alloys, they're getting to be quite pricey. $120 or so for just the TotalOne Runners, that's insane. I hope to god we never come near the $300+ figure skaters wind up spending.

And for those who haven't heard the price range yet, that will give you an idea. You really don't wanna know.

I went to high school with several figure skaters back in the day, and I thought that having a $400 pair of skates was hot sh*t until one of them told me thier skates cost around $1200. That was in 98. Geez........

you can have a graf custom for that ^^ And im sure that would be the best skate ever made because its made directly based on your foot, and weight distribution. hohoho! However i like Rbk better than bauer.. ^^

I want to clarify- the totalOne looks like a fantastic skate- it's just more than I (30 year old overweight beer leaguer) needs.

There are plenty of skaters out there who will benefit from it's features and will be able to justify it's cost.

I am told the tongue went through extensive testing and the feedback was extremely positive.

I've been hawking this thread forever, waiting for pictures of BOTH the TotalOne's and One100's

One100 looks just like the total one, except for a white felt tongue, the new runner, and it doesnt say total one across the side. That's it.

will the totalone be available in C widths?

TotalOne available in D and EE only. One100 available in C width.

I am told the tongue went through extensive testing and the feedback was extremely positive.

The tongue on the Totalone went through more than a dozen prototypes before Bauer was finally satisfied. I had the opportunity to skate on them a few weeks ago and the tongue definitely gives the skate a different feel. I didn't get to try more than one insert out so I can't say how drastic the difference is between them but there is really something there. I only skated for a short period of time but it sort of felt like tongue was snapping my foot back at the end of my stride to give a little extra push at the toe.

I only skated for a short period of time but it sort of felt like tongue was snapping my foot back at the end of my stride to give a little extra push at the toe.

That is so hard to fathom personally, but I will tyr them on as soon as they get out and I'm sure it'll be clear. Gives me time to save money anyway.

It makes me wonder how similar the effect is to the effect that easton claims with their coil technology. That's supposed to make the top of the boot flex forward during the bend in your stride and load up the skate so that it recoils and 'snaps' (my word, not theirs), when you're pushing through your stride. It really sounds like they're trying to capture energy in a similar manner.

Or am I completely off here?

The theme behind the skate is increased range of motion. The plantar flexibility has been increased which will help for longer strides and push-offs and forward flexibility has been increased by adding a new tongue with removable stiffeners. The skate is included with a medium, stiff and extra-stiff stiffener, which is an ALIVE shank. The stiffener starts right above the toe cap and goes up slightly past the top eyelet. They will also be sold aftermarket so if you like a particular stiffness, you can buy it again to maintain the same feel as it was out of the box.

Not to drag up an earlier post unnecessarily, but would the medium, stiff and extra-stiff ALIVE tongue inserts roughly correspond to Bauer's skate stiffness levels #2, 3 and 4?

That being the case, I would imagine there could be some interesting benefits to using, for example, a relatively soft boot with a relatively stiff tongue insert, or vice versa.

The TotalONE boot stiffness is established by its earlier generation ONE95. The Reflex tongue is performing in tandem with the boot stiffness to drive spring back on stride. The custom stiffness #'s are enhancing boot stiffness laterally. A softer boot could probably not sustain the energy on the sidewalls if a Reflex tongue was added on.

Will the tongues be available for other skates or purchase? Will they work on other boots?

The inserts will be available, in case you lose one. The complete tongue is not available separately.

I know it's probably too early to tell (or announce) but any word on this technology transferring to the Vapor line? I'm slowly coming to the realization (due to extreme ankle pain) that the depth of the one95 and subsequent totalone is just too much for my foot, and am going to have to switch lines eventually.

Just spent the week trying on skates - upwards of 15 pairs, many brand names - all top of line as I am over 200lbs but limited to junior skates ( 5 to 5.5 dependant on brand). The One95s are one of only four skates that nearly fit my instep depth (the others are Graf G70, CCM U+, and Rbk 9k) and although they are still a little shallow the fit is a little better than all of the others.

My question regarding the upcoming One100 concerns the instep depth. I note that many have said the One100 will essentially be the same as the One95 - does that include the depth? Certainly the pictures available on line appear to show a slightly greater depth but not having seen the skate in person it is far to difficult to tell. Can anyone comment?

I guess the ultimate question leftover as well is that if the One100s and One95s are essentially the same what real benefit would there be to waiting for the new skate?

Thanks for the great info,

Steve

I was in Florida, it was amazing. Bauer are pushing the envelope again, and not only in the areas where they are traditionally strong.

Goal. I wouldn't be surprised if they were #1 in a goal in a couple of years if they keep putting in this effort. Itech have given them a real leg up but they are clearly investing and building on that by launching products that have been newly designed from the ground up. The chest protectors, pads, skates are just incredible, way ahead of what they had this year.

different tounge.

Thanks, should have noted that earlier - must have missed it or forgot (it was late night surfing). :huh:

I am a little surprised that there isn't more than just the tongue... Guess there isn't much reason to wait on the One100 especially if the One95 has any reasonable price shift.

thanks again,