Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slacker76

Penguins 2009-2010

The Puckdaddy blog has a couple of angles on it

Almost half way down the page. I don't know how that cannot be a suspension, apart from the fact that it's on Cooke, who has a reputation (who I loved as a cap, I'm not saying that should justify not suspending him)

Also, Cooke got up quick, and again, the league generally shows that they only punish results, not intent.

But this was a blindside headshot, in retribution which, when it happens away from the puck has to be considered intent to injure.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,207110

As always, the fucknuts in the league offices don't have even the slightest modicum of consistency. That should be a suspension, for 2-5 games I think (more like 2 if it's a first offence) but definitely a suspension

That's the same video from the Pens broadcast that has been posted two or three times now and the point of contact is still vague. It really looks like shoulder contact on those clips. Cooke's whole body goes flying, something uncommon for a head shot. I'm not saying that this is not a head shot, just that there has not yet been a video or clip that shows that the initial point of contact was to the head.

In positive news, everyone skated today and Sid's playing tonight. Kunitz could be back in the next game or two.

Goligoski back in a game or two maybe but he will return before Kunitz unless he suffers a setback.

Sun, Dec 6

LW Chris Kunitz has missed 11 straight games with a lower-body injury and said Saturday night he is frustrated by not being able to at least practice with teammates. Head coach Dan Bylsma said Kunitz is progressing, but his return is likely at least two weeks away.

-Yahoo!.com

There was a blurb on penguins website from Bylsma saying they were on different timelines.

From penguins official website

While Crosby’s injury was never thought to be too serious – he said so himself on Saturday when it was announced he would sit against the Blackhawks – the same cannot be said for the injuries to Kunitz and Goligoski.

“They’re both progressing,” Bylsma said. “Chris and Alex have been skating for a handful of days on their own.

“(Monday) was back with the team for the first day, both positive signs and both progressing with the help of (head athletic trainer) Chris Stewart and (team physical therapist) Mark Mortland.”

Kunitz, whose 12 points (3G-9A) ranked fourth on the team at the time of his injury, has missed 11 straight games with a lower-body injury. Monday marked the first time he skated with his teammates since a loss to the New Jersey Devils on Nov. 12.

“It feels nice to be back out there with my teammates again,” Kunitz said. “I have only skated a few times so it is nice to be able to go out there and participate in the team skate.”

Kunitz was able to take part in all of the drills and didn’t appear as though there were any limitations on what he could do.

“Not really,” he said. “I am trying to pick up the speed of the game again. I am just trying to not do too much. I want to make sure I am all the way healed before I come back.”

Despite fully participating in Monday’s session there is still a process Kunitz must follow leading up to his return as he continues to rehab his injury while getting back into game shape.

“The trainers will let me know day-to-day what I can do next or how much my workload is going to be,” Kunitz said. “You want to be out there all the time but it is still just day-to-day.

“Right now it is just making sure you feel good the next day and that you aren’t straining things too much. …. I have missed enough games that I don’t want to have to do extra so I am just trying to get back as fast as I can.”

Goligoski, the Penguins’ leading scorer among defensemen with 16 points (6G-10A) in 21 games, has sat out nine of the team’s past 10 contests with an undisclosed injury. He appears on track to return to the lineup sooner than Kunitz according to Bylsma’s post-practice comments.

“They’re on different timelines, but hopefully we’ll see Alex soon,” Bylsma said.

Just like Kunitz, Goligoski was happy to resume skating with his teammates after a couple weeks of skating on his own prior to practice.

“It is always fun to get back out there with the guys after you have been skating and working out on your own trying to get healthy,” Goligoski said. “It was definitely a step in the right direction.”

Goligoski said that he had no problems with his first practice since seeing 21:16 of ice time in an 8-3 defeat of the New York Rangers on Nov. 28, his only game action since Nov. 14 against Boston. He seemed to agree with Bylsma’s assessment that his return could come sooner, rather than later.

“I feel good,” Goligoski said. “It was good to get back out there with the team … I feel like I am getting better every day so hopefully soon.”

good news :

Put themselves in too deep of a hole tonight, dominated the last 35mins of the game or so. No idea how the puck stayed out of the net in the last minute.

Sarge says power play can't get any worse

Whether in Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston or while playing on numerous Russian national teams, Sergei Gonchar has quarterbacked many dynamic power plays.

This definitely isn't one of them.

Has Gonchar ever played on such a talented power play that struggled so much?

"No," he said, shaking his head. "I don't think there's one thing in particular that's wrong. It's here and there. It can't get any worse."

The Penguins' power-play conversion rate is a mere 14.3 percent, which ranks 28th out of the NHL's 30 teams. Only Carolina and St. Louis, two of the league's worst teams, have struggled more.

Many believe the Penguins have become too predictable on the power play. Gonchar always plays the right point, while Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin generally roam the right-wing boards.

"It's not working for us," Gonchar said. "But at the same time, it has worked many times before."

Gonchar, however, suggested tactical changes might be coming.

"We're going to try different things," he said. "Power plays aren't just about shots on goal. You have to battle for the puck. You have to help each other. We have to do better at those things."

» Assistant coach Mike Yeo often receives criticism from fans when the Penguins' power play struggles. While Yeo does work with the power play, coach Dan Bylsma said singling Yeo out is unfair.

"What we do as a coaching staff is together," Bylsma said. "Mike doesn't get free reign. When we do a practice, I don't have free reign. We're together."

» Center Mark Letestu, who impressed the coaching staff with his performance Saturday against Chicago, has been sent back to Wilkes-Barre.

» The two remaining injured Penguins — defenseman Alex Goligoski and left wing Chris Kunitz — practiced for a second consecutive day. Bylsma said both players are improving, but he did not say if they will be available Thursday in Montreal.

DIGITS

6 — Consecutive games in which the Penguins have allowed the first goal.

QUOTABLE

"I don't really believe in those stats." — Penguins forward Max Talbot, when asked about Montreal's 10-1 record when it scores first.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...=rss&feed=8

I hope to see some of these changes. I like Malkin up top cause of his blast or his ability if he has some space to come in and take a wrist or snap shot. Not to mention he has a great pass as well. He can also rotate down to the half boards easily if their is space. Defensive liability though but not much more than Gonchar is from a PP perspective. If the Pens can get the PP rolling and the last few pieces of the lineup put back together should be in good shape and win some games :)

I also wanted comments/reactions to this

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetch...e=realTimeStats

The penguins as a team lead the NHL in hits. When most people think of the Penguins they think speed, skill, finesse, but its nice that there is obviously more to it than that. The hard forecheck and throw the body. Keep in mind they're missing all the hits Kunitz/Orpik would have added to that total.

I think its a pretty darn good mixture of power/hitting/finesse in the lineup right now. Plus there is several scrappy guys that can fight as well as the big man Goddard for when things get really nasty.

I like it :)

Broadstreet bullies way down the bottom of the list.

Hits and blocked shots are some of the most skewed stats you will find. That's a big part of the reason the NHL teams refuse to use them in contract negotiations anymore. There are times that the stat sheet bear little, if any, resemblance to the actual game.

The penguins as a team lead the NHL in hits. When most people think of the Penguins they think speed, skill, finesse, but its nice that there is obviously more to it than that. The hard forecheck and throw the body. Keep in mind they're missing all the hits Kunitz/Orpik would have added to that total.

The fact that Calgary has 200 at home and more than 400 on the road is a pretty good indicator as to how screwed up those numbers are. Sure they have played five more game on the road than at home, but that still doesn't explain the 200+ hit differential. That isn't to detract from the Penguins either. They do have a lot of grinders and agitators in the lineup.

Well yes, that is true. It does sometimes seem like guys throw the body all night long but only get a hit or two on the sheet. Maybe the pens stats ppl are just padding the stats. LOL.

I know it's easy to look good playing against a bad team, especially a bad team playing the second night of a back-to-back, but boy did the Pens look great tonight.

I know it's easy to look good playing against a bad team, especially a bad team playing the second night of a back-to-back, but boy did the Pens look great tonight.

They moved their feet well and got to virtually every loose puck. That said, every time a puck went on net there was a Flyer laying on the ice and Brooks Orpik was looking around to make sure that nobody saw him. It was like the Devils a few years back where the other team never got a second shot.

Nice no-call on the blatant goalie interference by Crosby too. Boucher tried to sell it, but even so....if you're going to call it on anyone, call it on everyone. I don't care if you're the face of the league or not.

Eh what just pisses me off is if that was ANY Flyer who did that, you guys would be screaming bloody murder

The problem with that is every Flyer has done that this season and very few have been called for it.

IIRC, the only guys who will do that kind of stuff are the guys with that reputation, but that's a discussion for the Flyers thread, not the Pens one.

Eh what just pisses me off is if that was ANY Flyer who did that, you guys would be screaming bloody murder

It was iffy at best, if there was a penalty it could have been a dive. The Pens got 4 more penalty minutes than the Flyers in the game, so no whining allowed.

Didn't see another Penguins topic started so here goes.

1. What does everyone think of the Pens so far this season: changes made and if the team will make the playoffs and how far they'll go.

2. Thoughts on the new Consol Energy Center and memories of Civic / Mellon Arena during its last year.

Yeah, I have a lot of memories in the Mellon Arena, but that makes me hate it that much more. The place is miserable. If you've ever had season tickets there, the inconvenience of parking, concessions, bathrooms, crappy seats, crappy views, and no leg room are hard to handle night in and night out. Can't wait for a better place to watch my favorite team.

I'd give a leg to get pens season tickets.. That being said, do you really think parking/traffic is going to be any better with the new arena? Its pittsburgh! Noone knows where to go or how to get home, too confusing to most :) Everything else should be super upgraded though, but I still love the igloo! I wish they'd have done something with the Consol arena to keep that 'igloo' type of flavor going, but I guess new team new history or some such thing.