Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slacker76

Penguins 2009-2010

It's been fun watching Chara make himself completely useless by trying to take runs at Sid all night.

Glad the Pens took care of things very well tonight. They got ontop early and that was perfect to take the crowd out immediately. Glad to see they finally got the first shutout of the season for the team as well. Can't believe it took this long. Good bounce back game.

As a Pens guy, I'm not really concerned that NJ swept the season series. Like Smoke said, WSH took 'em all from PIT during the regular season, and we all know how that ended.

What's eye-opening to me is that the Pens' record against teams ahead of them in the overall standings is 0-11, with two of those losses in OT/SO if my memory serves me correctly. That's not going to get it done.

I saw that on someones twitter today

Japersrink - Pens' record against the 6 teams ahead of them in standings: 0-10-2. GF: 1.25 per game, GA: 3.92 per game, PP: 1-for-44 in those games. Wow

It's been fun watching Chara make himself completely useless by trying to take runs at Sid all night.

You must have been watching a different game because I don't think a single run was taken all night. Completely boring game where neither team seemed too interested in being physical.

Well, like you said in the Boston thread: when the entire NHL is breathing down your neck as you play you're going to be very careful about over stepping any boundaries. Not to mention who was officiating the game.

You must have been watching a different game because I don't think a single run was taken all night. Completely boring game where neither team seemed too interested in being physical.

There were at least two two-on-ones from the red line 'cause Chara was hilariously trying to line people up.

Is it just me or have calls been slightly biased against us the last couple weeks? I'm pretty sure we've had more PMs then the other team almost every single time.

In the Detroit game I saw two high sticks against us, should resulting in Power players for us. Then we had the one on Zett... they called that one. And the interference calls on us were weak to say the least, and Detroit did the same thing or worse against us and no call. Was it 1 PP to 4 tonight?

I know we're not squeaky clean people and cheat like everyone else, however it has seemed we have been cheating equally or even less than the other team, yet resulting in more PPs for the other team.

Is it just me or have calls been slightly biased against us the last couple weeks? I'm pretty sure we've had more PMs then the other team almost every single time.

In the Detroit game I saw two high sticks against us, should resulting in Power players for us. Then we had the one on Zett... they called that one. And the interference calls on us were weak to say the least, and Detroit did the same thing or worse against us and no call. Was it 1 PP to 4 tonight?

I know we're not squeaky clean people and cheat like everyone else, however it has seemed we have been cheating equally or even less than the other team, yet resulting in more PPs for the other team.

4 penalties (hooking, holding, slashing & interferance) are lazy penalties that the Pens took because they were being outskated and outworked. The goalie interferance call was legit, if you are going to complain about #96 before the game then the same rules need to apply to your team. The high stick to #40 was also a good call. Even the penalty on Crosby at the end of the game was right, he should have been called for cross checking at about the 19:50 mark.

Yeah the refs missed some calls, both ways, but it always happens. The Pens just got outworked last night and Crosby's actions at the end of the game showed the teams frustrations.

No doubt frustrations boiled over with Crosby on Zetterberg, lets face it Zetterberg is one of the best at what he does and he is Crosbys shadow everytime the Pens and Wings meet. I have to wonder what the hell is going through Jim Howards head at the end of the game last night. Crosby was engaged with three Redwings players (Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Kronwall) and yet here comes the goalie to get his piece of him. I don't really feel theres a place for that. Reminds me of Lundqvist a few weeks ago trying to get his piece in when he has no business doing so. I really feel like the Penguins need to sit GoGo and get Mckee back into the lineup. I feel a shotblocking stay at home player like McKee would be more effective in this type of situation. Also, Mark Eatons +/- is scary for the last 6-7 games.

That aside, alot of bad blood still remains. Whats the odds of Penguins/Red Wings round 3? :)

That aside, alot of bad blood still remains. Whats the odds of Penguins/Red Wings round 3? :)

Not very good unless the pens can start beating good teams. I know the playoffs are a whole new game, but our record against the top 8 teams in the east isnt good at all.

4 penalties (hooking, holding, slashing & interferance) are lazy penalties that the Pens took because they were being outskated and outworked. The goalie interferance call was legit, if you are going to complain about #96 before the game then the same rules need to apply to your team. The high stick to #40 was also a good call. Even the penalty on Crosby at the end of the game was right, he should have been called for cross checking at about the 19:50 mark.

Yeah the refs missed some calls, both ways, but it always happens. The Pens just got outworked last night and Crosby's actions at the end of the game showed the teams frustrations.

Pens did get outworked, but there were some blatant missed calls and the goalie interference was pretty lame.

Overall the league has regressed mightily in the officiating department in the last year it seems. The mirror driving when a D is going back to retrieve the puck by his partner or another player is as blatant as I've ever seen it, inconsistency rules the day again on all aspects of officiating, and the disciplinary issues don't require much explanation.

They just don't get it, they are mired in this insider hockey mentality. Guess what? If people don't understand your game because officiating sucks, they won't watch. If your "rules" are laughable, you will be a second tier league forever.

Are you saying they're missing calls against the Pens or arguing some of the calls against the Caps?

I'm watching the FSN feed and even they admit the Pens got away with several things that should have been called.

Oh I agree. They could have called a few things against the Pens. I got the FSN feed on my computer here at work. I was just hoping you werent arguing something like the Semin highstick on Rupp or Fleishman trip on Letang , both from the second period.

As your background as a referree (sp? whoa) can you elaborate on the 2 min instead of 4 minute call for highstick as they showed the blood on Rupps jersey and him gettin chin work? Too insignificant or didn't bleed out fast enough?

Oh I agree. They could have called a few things against the Pens. I got the FSN feed on my computer here at work. I was just hoping you werent arguing something like the Semin highstick on Rupp or Fleishman trip on Letang , both from the second period.

As your background as a referree (sp? whoa) can you elaborate on the 2 min instead of 4 minute call for highstick as they showed the blood on Rupps jersey and him gettin chin work? Too insignificant or didn't bleed out fast enough?

NHL rules, who the hell knows anymore? Both of those were pretty obvious calls and should have been made. There were also a couple equally obvious tripping calls and a high stick on Eaton that weren't called the other way.

To hell with the power play. I mean holy crap. I don't know if Mike Yeo needs to go or what the deal is but how often are you going to pass back and forth thru the middle with minimal shots before you realize your better off just pounding shots from the point and letting Guerin, Kunitz, Crosby,Poni,Stall all big guys great down low just start hammering at rebounds. Geeez. I'm so mad.

To hell with the power play. I mean holy crap. I don't know if Mike Yeo needs to go or what the deal is but how often are you going to pass back and forth thru the middle with minimal shots before you realize your better off just pounding shots from the point and letting Guerin, Kunitz, Crosby,Poni,Stall all big guys great down low just start hammering at rebounds. Geeez. I'm so mad.

But then Sid couldn't make his cross zone passes to the cutting defenseman.

I'm watching the FSN feed and even they admit the Pens got away with several things that should have been called.

Fun fact, in the 14 games the caps and pens have played since the start of last season (4 reg season, 7 playoffs and 3 reg season games this season) the Pens have had more PP's than the caps in 10 games, with both teams getting even calls the other 4 games (this includes last nights 5-1 pp's called advantage to the pens)

Am I the only one whos sick of the "Crosby vs. Ovechkin" marketing poly by the NHL? The top 2 teams in the east are playing and all they wanna do is focus on 2 players?

It was fine when both teams werent that good and it was a good way to sell the game, but now were talking about 2 elite teams.

Am I the only one whos sick of the "Crosby vs. Ovechkin" marketing poly by the NHL? The top 2 teams in the east are playing and all they wanna do is focus on 2 players?

It was fine when both teams werent that good and it was a good way to sell the game, but now were talking about 2 elite teams.

Don't you realize that hockey is just like basketball? It's only obvious that the outcome of the game can be determined by one player and one player alone, of course the other 4 skaters and the goalie are useless. I mean if Bird versus Johnson worked in the NBA there's no reason it can't work here with Crosby and Ovechkin, just like it was obvious to everyone that Bruce McNall had nothing but the best interests of the NHL at heart when he sold them on the idea of sunbelt expansion.