Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ddbowdoin

Awesome Girlfriends/Partners

why is everybody saying "she lets me do this", "she lets me do that"? Maybe she isnt so great if you cant do stuff unless she lets you. Or maybe i dont want to get married if i have to get permission to play hockey or videogames. My current gf doesnt "let" me play hockey. She has no say, she knows I play hockey.

You are young grasshopper, but you will learn

why is everybody saying "she lets me do this", "she lets me do that"? Maybe she isnt so great if you cant do stuff unless she lets you. Or maybe i dont want to get married if i have to get permission to play hockey or videogames. My current gf doesnt "let" me play hockey. She has no say, she knows I play hockey.

You are young grasshopper, but you will learn

He does make a bit of a point, though. In an adult relationship...it shouldn't be a matter or permission. If someone says to me "Hey, wanna do (whatever) this weekend" I'll say "Let my check with my GF and see if we have anything going on..." As she tends to be more of the social planner of the 2 of us...but, it's not..."let me see if I'm allowed"

It's a fine line between allowance and freedom.

Technically, you're not free to drive a car; you're licensed, and allowed to drive one within certain guidelines. Yet the car is often trotted out as an example of 'personal freedom.'

I would say generally that freedom is allowed, but that allowance is not free; whether the price is nothing more than the appreciation that one's wife does a little more around the house to make up for a three-hour hockey vacation a few times a week, or a huge apologetic jewelry purchase for forgetting her birthday.

The difference between a good wife and a shrew is that the shrew demands reparations, while the good wife simply hopes for your happiness in playing the sport.

I think you may be taking "she lets me do this" too literally.

The Big D has been my best friend for 16+ years and "lets" me do pretty much whatever I want, which is another way of saying I know what the parameters are for our relationship; I give her the courtesy of asking if she minds whether I'll do something (even though I know the answer); and I don't ask whether I can do something that I know would make her feel insecure in her relationship. It really is just common sense and common courtesy.

Do I get to play hockey WHENEVER I want? No, because we have family functions and budgets to adhere to. But can I play hockey whenever it's reasonable? Yes.

Can I take a trip WHENEVER I want? No, because she has to make sure it fits within her work schedule. But can I take trips without the family, if necessary? Yes. In fact I just went to the HHOF Induction last weekend and will go to my 30th Reunion in six months.

Now, if you want to be able to do WHATEVER you want, WHENEVER you want, then don't bother trying to have a relationship. Just find someone who's willing to be a friend with benefits, because the person who needs to do whatever whenever is too selfish to be a good mate.

I think you may be taking "she lets me do this" too literally.

The Big D has been my best friend for 16+ years and "lets" me do pretty much whatever I want, which is another way of saying I know what the parameters are for our relationship; I give her the courtesy of asking if she minds whether I'll do something (even though I know the answer); and I don't ask whether I can do something that I know would make her feel insecure in her relationship. It really is just common sense and common courtesy.

Do I get to play hockey WHENEVER I want? No, because we have family functions and budgets to adhere to. But can I play hockey whenever it's reasonable? Yes.

Can I take a trip WHENEVER I want? No, because she has to make sure it fits within her work schedule. But can I take trips without the family, if necessary? Yes. In fact I just went to the HHOF Induction last weekend and will go to my 30th Reunion in six months.

Now, if you want to be able to do WHATEVER you want, WHENEVER you want, then don't bother trying to have a relationship. Just find someone who's willing to be a friend with benefits, because the person who needs to do whatever whenever is too selfish to be a good mate.

Thats a good marriage in a nutshell. She sees whats important to you and makes sure you do it, even if it means more work for her, and hopefully you do the same.

The difference between a marriage when both people try to make things easier for themselves and one where both try to make things easier for each other is probably only 1 or 2 small things a week. But 50 years from now you'll either look back and think how much better your life was because of your spouse, or think how much worse it has become because you two lost each other.

I think that is why so many 'starter' marriages fail. Young people have a hard time letting go of the 'me' mentally and transitioning to the 'her' or 'us'. I know I did, and the first year or so was rough. Taking a 'what can I do to make her life easier' approach every once in a while pays a HUGE dividend and almost never goes un-returned.

Girlfriend made me perogies last night so I could take them to work for lunch today. Definitely delicious!

There must be a common factor to perogies and the greatness of a GF. I think mine is pretty great...and she brought me (wait for it...) perogies and meatpie for dinner last night. I have the pie for lunch today. Awesome!

This is the one thing mine does wrong... She insists frozen, store bought perogies are better, and unabashedly tells my partly Polish family this whenever she gets a chance... :lol:

My girlfriend of two years has done some pretty nice things for me in the past...thats for sure. Throwing b-day parties, nice gifts, supportive, etc.

But this past week i got a package at my door from her. No occasion at all, but had a $450 watch and some brownies/cookies inside. Oh, and a nice card too. Needless to say I was in shock...I thought maybe she did something wrong but to my surprise it was just out of love. :o

Girlfriend made me perogies last night so I could take them to work for lunch today. Definitely delicious!

There must be a common factor to perogies and the greatness of a GF. I think mine is pretty great...and she brought me (wait for it...) perogies and meatpie for dinner last night. I have the pie for lunch today. Awesome!

This is the one thing mine does wrong... She insists frozen, store bought perogies are better, and unabashedly tells my partly Polish family this whenever she gets a chance... :lol:

My GF's family owns a Deli/Catering company...so everything is homemade...and awesome!

My girlfriend took me to a Penn State game on a First Date. and on our 3rd date, we went again, even though Terrelle Cryor had to ruin that magic 300 at Beaver Stadium.

My girlfriend took me to a Penn State game on a First Date. and on our 3rd date, we went again, even though Terrelle Cryor had to ruin that magic 300 at Beaver Stadium.

WE ARE......PENN STATE! Nice gift. PSU alumni myself. I'd have to drag my wife to a football game....even a hockey game (gasp!).

Unfortunately, we broke up right after the season ended. She has swimming 6 days a week, I have hockey 6 days a week, just not gonna work out, especially considering the fact we live an hour apart as it is.

My GF's family owns a Deli/Catering company...so everything is homemade...and awesome!

I'd kill for some good perogies right now... sigh*

awesome GF candidate here

i work nights at a gym....this girl comes home after working retail at 11pm, makes me food and drives up to the gym and drops it off and hangs out with me (almost always)

she drove to pick me up from my last exam (30 minute drive east), then took me to her house, fed me, and drove 35 minutes north to take me home (she always does this and even after just classes)

she puts up with me on a consistent basis. doesnt complain when i am not around because i am busy with school.

doesnt ask for any gifts or anything.

always makes sure i am well fed and eating properly. always looking out for my well being as far as being dressed warm, eating vegetables etc.,

great girl and i love her tons :D

my GF got me a gigantic autographed picture of brian leetch for christmas, along with a blue ps3 controller because the red one is for "stupid devils", and a Gaborik T shirt.

She also said my coach needs to play me more because my shots hit the net unlike everyone else who hits the glass.

I could put up with this I guess ;p