Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kklinder

Best skates ever

Getting back into the game after a long hiatus (~20 years)... Skates have really changed; it seems mostly in the last 5-7 years. I've tried a few newer ones, but nothing feels like my trusty (and still quite functional) Daoust 501's. So, I've got two questions...

1. What are your favorite skates of all time?
  2. What is the most recent skate to perform and feel like the Daoust 501 or Micron Mega 1090?

Some of you younger guys may never have felt anything like the skates I've mentioned. IMHO, the market is missing something great it once had.

I'll put my vote in for the Daoust 501's. I never had the Micron Mega 1090's, but I remember them and wish I could find a pair.

Mission S500s are my favorite skate and the custom ones with a little extra depth are perfect. It kills me that I will never be able to get another pair of skates like that again.

back in my prime I was using some amazing Microns. Most recently, though, the Vapor XX. I very much regret not scouring the internet to purchase them again after breaking them after 5 years of use.

Feel like I'm still looking for the "perfect" skate, but my Pro Tacks are my favorite. Might be trying Graf to get a skate that will fit my narrow heel and give me some forward flex. It'll have to wait until my next trip to the States though, and I don't know when that will be.

Kor Shift 1

I picked up a couple pairs of 7.5 expecting to love them. The fit is truly incredible, but I just can't get used to the stiffness. I just don't feel like I've got the feel for the ice like in my old-school Daousts. So , I think I'm going to sell the second pair. Awesome skates, though, if you like a super-stiff boot; better IMO than anything the big boys are putting out. Quality is outstanding.

Mission S500s are my favorite skate and the custom ones with a little extra depth are perfect. It kills me that I will never be able to get another pair of skates like that again.

Chadd,

Have you ever tried the AG 120? I'd be curious about a comparison.

Micron Mega 10-90's. Great Skate prior to being bought out by Bauer. It had a more forward lean to the boot (As did the Daoust 501's) which I found similar to the Missions I have now.

Micron Mega 10-90's. Great Skate prior to being bought out by Bauer. It had a more forward lean to the boot (As did the Daoust 501's) which I found similar to the Missions I have now.

Which Missions do you have?

I have yet to have a pair of skates that make me truly smile, of course I have yet to buy a top of the line skate so I can't really say anything. the skates I have now (vapor xvi) are okay, but are slowly falling apart.... looking for something stiff in a 7.5....

I picked up a couple pairs of 7.5 expecting to love them. The fit is truly incredible, but I just can't get used to the stiffness. I just don't feel like I've got the feel for the ice like in my old-school Daousts. So , I think I'm going to sell the second pair. Awesome skates, though, if you like a super-stiff boot; better IMO than anything the big boys are putting out. Quality is outstanding.

When I first used them, I made the mistake of lacing them up too tightly and ended up skating like I was in ski boots. I switched to waxed laces and did the top pair of eyelets more loosely, and that helped a lot. My older pair has also gotten a bit softer in the forward flex, so that was also a plus. I'm recreating that feel in my new pair by skipping the top eyelet completely. So far, so good.

Kor Shift 1

Chadd,

Have you ever tried the AG 120? I'd be curious about a comparison.

I liked the shift 1 but I could never quite get them to fit properly, no matter how many times I baked them. The shift 2 was a better fit for me, but didn't feel quite as good.

I'm skating in 120 AGs right now. It's as close as I can find to the S500, and much better than the 110 AG, but is not the same.

Bauer Vapor 10's, the two tone model. I got them for my freshman year of high school, man were they awesome. I remember the runners were black with a bunch of little triangles cut out. I thought they were the greatest things ever.

Way back when, the Micron 1090s were the skates to have, I think half of my HS team had them.

microns.jpg

Mine finally broke last winter and I've been on a quest to find decent fitting skates since. My feet are short (I can fit into a 5.5 JR skate, but due to width and volume, I wear a size 6 SR), wide both in the fore- and mid-foot, narrow at the heel, flat arches, and high instep (volume). I initially bought a pair of new-old-stock CCM 852 Super Tacks and had broken them in to the point that I wasn't in major pain after every skate when I discovered that the soles had cracked around every rivet hole in the skate. In the meantime I bought a pair of new-old-stock RBK 8ks (non-pump) that simply did not work with my feet (go figure, it's one of the skates folks claim fit like Tacks). In the meantime I received a pair of CCM U+ 09s as warranty replacements. After figuring out not to lace up the top eyelet, I'd have to say that the U+ 09s are the best skates I've ever been in. They are the first skate I've ever own that I can lace up TIGHT yet have no pain whatsoever.