Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HockeyPho85

How often do you guys and girls change stick tape?

Sorry I'm kinda new and I tried to search this..

How many times for practicing, stick handling at home, and on the ice?

For me, I change it when its about to show the blade , But I should change it sooner, it it'll mess up my blade.

One time I completely ignored it and my blade was shredded and it was pretty bad haha.

I'm pretty weird about this...wow a hockey player with a crazy superstition....? But i usually re-wrap if any of the blade is showing(except the bottom edge). I love the crisp clean look of a freshly taped stick blade. With that being said i usually never re-tape the handle.....

I like to usually tape mine before every game, and for practice it depends on what I did the day before and if my tape is worn down but usually 2 or 3 practices. As far as at home, I just use my same stick and retape it before practice. But it really is personal preference.

I never re--tape the handle (once I'm comfortable with how it comes out), unless I add an extension or cut the stick. I leave the tape on the blade for as long as I can. I will rewax it a little each skate. As soon as there are any cuts or areas where it wears through, I re-tape it.

Handle - Usually keep it for at least 20 games.

Blade - I have a stick I use in warm ups and a stick I use in the game. Warm up stick doesn't get new tape very often. game stick gets retaped everytime.

Handle once and leave it for as long as the stick lasts. Tape the blade after every ice time ( Sometimes after warmup if the tape gets wrecked during)

handle once a year for sanitary reasons - I've gone to a tiny knob half the width of regular tape for that

blades whenever it gets torn up/worn out in the botton, which is maybe 4-5 icetimes

I only re-tape it when it gets messed up, like if it is coming off, if there is a cut and its flopping around or if the bottom has worn off. I usually never re-tape the knob.

I retape the blade when the bottom is worn or the front is too chewed up (taking faceoffs does that), and I tape the knob once for the stick, but I tape a separate top layer over it that I change when the the old one gets disgusting.

Blade - after every use

Handle - every 10-15 games or so (using gauze)

Going to give Tacki Mac a shot again on top though.

I never re--tape the handle (once I'm comfortable with how it comes out), unless I add an extension or cut the stick. I leave the tape on the blade for as long as I can. I will rewax it a little each skate. As soon as there are any cuts or areas where it wears through, I re-tape it.

Ditto

I've gotten in the habit of using white tape on the blade, and I retape before every ice time. With black tape I used to let it go a couple games. The handle, I usually tape it, then when it gets beat up I tape right over the existing tape. I do that two or three times before I take off the whole thing and redo it. My next HM order will include a TackiMac grip, looking forward to trying that.

I hate taping my blade because I'm pretty particular about it. As long as there aren't any major cuts or bumps on it, it stays and I wax the hell out of it.

Nothing more annoying than brand new, good tape job that gets all ripped up on the first shift.

The handle almost never gets taped unless it starts falling apart.

Handle gets taped once and never touched again, blade gets re-taped before every ice time, pink tape for the womens league games/practices & black tape for the mens league :)

Anyone have any suggestions on tape?

I really, really hate retaping my blade, and I find the Renfew stuff is absolutely awful. After I tape it, there's ALWAYS a tear after the first game (or practice, for that matter).

The Lowry stuff seems to be a lot better, but for some reason it's harder to find (or more annoying to find) than anything.

I've tried friction tape, too, but that stuff rips all over the place the minute I put my blade on the ice...

Anyone have any suggestions on tape?

I really, really hate retaping my blade, and I find the Renfew stuff is absolutely awful. After I tape it, there's ALWAYS a tear after the first game (or practice, for that matter).

The Lowry stuff seems to be a lot better, but for some reason it's harder to find (or more annoying to find) than anything.

I've tried friction tape, too, but that stuff rips all over the place the minute I put my blade on the ice...

I get good durability out of Howie's hockey tape. I find it at MC sports, it's the only hockey equipment I'll buy there.

Is it the old Renfrew with the blue label or the new stuff with the black label? The old stuff was terrible, but the new stuff is the best tape I've used.

Jaybird is good stuff, never had a problem, just harder to find and not as thick as Renfrew.

Andover has gotten thinner over the years and nobody sells it anymore, but its very sticky.

Comp-o-stik tape is the new stuff everyone around here carries, its pretty good, just not as thick as Renfrew.

Sportstape is horribly thin (you can see through the white) and it literally smells like ass when you unroll it.

Haven't tried Howies because I don't want to order a case of it. I pick up the 3-packs of Renfrew at Sports Authority.

Oh yeah, and I'm back to Tacki Mac on the grips...wrapped texture with the knob cut off applied with Aquanet...so far so good.