Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HockeyPho85

How often do you guys and girls change stick tape?

I have 1 practise and 1 game a week in house league, with the occasional drop-in on the weekdays. I also shoot every other day or so in my basement...so I retape the blade every week.

With my older sticks I used to retape the blade like once a month.

WIth my new X:60 I take great care of it and retape usually 1-2 games. Handle never gets retaped though.

Handle = Never love the tacki mac grips

Blade = Every 2 weeks or so, but i have to put a strip down the bottom each game because smooth painted concrete wears the shit outta the blade so quickly

I do the handle once and only redo it if I cut the stick or add in a butt end.

I'll retape the blade whenever it seems like it desparately needs to be redone, probably not often enough but if there are some glaring holes in the tape and major wear, I'll do it. I haven't retaped my blade in a while, now that I think about it.

I use a piece setup Warrior shafts w/ Easton wood blades and I will change blade tape after every game/practice. I use wax on the blade to help with ice build up during but with the wood blades i think its just helps prolong the life of the wood.

Handle once I have it set I leave it, ocasionally I will put a candy cane down.

Is it the old Renfrew with the blue label or the new stuff with the black label? The old stuff was terrible, but the new stuff is the best tape I've used.

Jaybird is good stuff, never had a problem, just harder to find and not as thick as Renfrew.

Andover has gotten thinner over the years and nobody sells it anymore, but its very sticky.

Comp-o-stik tape is the new stuff everyone around here carries, its pretty good, just not as thick as Renfrew.

Sportstape is horribly thin (you can see through the white) and it literally smells like ass when you unroll it.

Haven't tried Howies because I don't want to order a case of it. I pick up the 3-packs of Renfrew at Sports Authority.

Oh yeah, and I'm back to Tacki Mac on the grips...wrapped texture with the knob cut off applied with Aquanet...so far so good.

For the Renfrew, both...and I can't stand either. I think I have the Jaybird friction tape, and it just falls apart.

Haven't heard of the other ones, honestly.

I would like to try Howies, but again, I don't want to order a box. Well, I would, but it's something like $30 extra to ship to Canada.

Looks like I'll have to stick with Lowry, and keep waxing the hell out of it.

Those of you who don't tape the blade every time, are you just laying on a bunch of tape when you do?

Nope. I go about 4 or 5 games with just a regular single wrap. Provided it doesn't fall apart, friction tape, or get cut up, regular tape.

I don't retape unless I can see part of the blade. If it comes out of a game without getting sliced (which is extremely rare, but has happened) I don't see the need to retape, but it usually works out to almost every game.

Handle usually never needs a re-tape. Blade gets it only when it starts to get torn up or come off. I wax the blade pretty thoroughly after a tape, so that helps keep the tape from succumbing to water and snow, so only when it gets cut up do I need to re-tape it. Usually a few games unless something specific happens.

I'm glad to see a lot of people re-tape after every game/practice. My teammates always give me crap about it cause I'll take the tape off in the locker room.

With that said..

I re-tape after every game as well. I use Howie's hockey tape and love it too. use the 1 1/2" wide white and their clear tape too. I use grip tape for the handle and I re-tape that about ever 5-6 games cause it tears at the top of knob where it rubs on my glove.

I usually tape so it overlaps on the blade, sort of like having two layers of tape. I started using Howies' by accident, and it holds up really well. I wax, melt the wax, and apply a second coat. If I get a small cut on the blade, I can meld the tape back together. I guess that's from all the wax... :P

I take my tape off every time I finish up on the ice. I always feel like the tape absorbs the water and holds it onto my blade making it weaker. I don't know if it's actually true but it's how I always felt. I usually re tape when I get home.

Inline... I just wait until there's some huge chunks of the tape taken out.

I bought some blade tape this week. I'm gonna give that a shot.